PDA

View Full Version : shooting left handed....

waco
12-06-2012, 02:20 AM
its hard to do! :)
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/waltercoats/th_A48174E9-AA85-4881-9AB7-AB7BE6E4D3CF-2800-000003FA4CF4766D.jpg (http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/waltercoats/A48174E9-AA85-4881-9AB7-AB7BE6E4D3CF-2800-000003FA4CF4766D.mp4)

waco
12-06-2012, 02:24 AM
trying to shoot my evil roy cimmeron .45 colt left handed.
hard enough to hit things with the right hand!
i should know better! lol

Gibson
12-06-2012, 03:03 AM
It ain't fer me! :)

Then again, I am a southpaw. And indeed, again, I still can't shoot too well.

Fun clip. Thanks for sharing.

nanuk
12-06-2012, 03:19 AM
I shoot best left handed.

12-06-2012, 07:25 AM
I'm a southpaw but I try to shoot right handed.

imashooter2
12-06-2012, 07:35 AM
Yes, weak hand is tough, but a skill worth practicing. I find it difficult to hold the pistol vertically when shooting weak hand. It's always listing 30 degrees or so.

historicfirearms
12-06-2012, 08:15 AM
I notice the torque a lot more shooting weak handed. Its a good skill to have, worth practicing.

cbrick
12-06-2012, 10:58 AM
its hard to do! :)

No kidding . . . I can't even pick my nose left handed. :holysheep

Rick

bobthenailer
12-06-2012, 11:13 AM
i left hand shoot occasionaly just for some refence ! i once shot a action pistol match with a revolver , the stage was 5 shots each of 2 hand , right hand and left hand only double action, after finishing up with the left hand DA i bust out laughing as that was sure weird experince as ive never previously used only the LH for DA shooting.

littlejack
12-06-2012, 02:27 PM
+1 on what cbrick said. Besides that, you can ruin a good firearm shooting them left handed. LOL

Hamish
12-06-2012, 03:00 PM
+1 on what cbrick said. Besides that, you can ruin a good firearm shooting them left handed. LOL

?????????

**oneshot**
12-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Try shooting with both hands but use your weak hand(left for right handed shooter) as the dominant hand. Then once you get used to it then shoot one handed. It makes learning the mechanics easier while using the dominate hand as support.
I'm ambiascreweduptious myself shooting mostly lefty with long guns but also shooting righty with pistols.

cbrick
12-06-2012, 03:46 PM
you can ruin a good firearm shooting them left handed. LOL

That's right, you could teach it bad habits. :roll:

Rick

gray wolf
12-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Left hand shooting ?? shouldn't the sights be on the other side ??
Seriously --It's not that hard to do, it takes a lot of practice--start in close--7 yards.
Most people just say shoot! I can't do this, it's just a waste of ammo.
But those that practice a little find that it can be done, at least good enough to save your life if your other hand is disabled.

subsonic
12-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Just do the exact same thing with you left hand as you do with your right hand...

What's the big deal? It's the brain that's doing the shooting, not the hand ;-)

I'm not as *fast* with the left hand, but darn near as accurate. I'm talking one handed with no rest. But I mouse left handed and can write equally poorly with both hands. But I pick my nose with my right...

375supermag
12-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Hi...
I learned to shoot left-handed quite a few years ago now when I suffered a stress fracture in my right wrist from shooting too many heavy loads in too many handguns much too often.

I had to wear a cast on my right wrist for months and was advised to not shoot right handed for an entire shooting season. I actually became a fairly decent shot with a handgun left handed.

After my health issues and related surgeries earlier this year, I decided to try it again. Even after having some nerves in my neck severed resulting in very limited feeling in my left shoulder and the related lack of strength and shakiness, I can still hit a ten-ring at 7 yds. one handed with about any handgun I own. 25 yds??? I can still hit the ground with every shot...not necessarily all that near where I am aiming, but still...

By next shooting season, I believe I will be essentially back to being able to consistently hit a can at 25 yds left handed. It is all about re-building strength and fine motor control...it just takes time to recover.

monge
12-06-2012, 08:22 PM
just get a gun with left hand rifleing HA HA !

Idaho Mule
12-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Left handed rifling??? wouldn't that make it whistle backwards?? Kinda like putting in a culvert backwards???

camaro1st
12-07-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm ambiascreweduptious myself shooting mostly lefty with long guns but also shooting righty with pistols.

i'm the same. learned to write lefty when my right arm was in a cast for 6months! writing was easy it was the wiping that was tricky.:shock:

Silvercreek Farmer
12-07-2012, 08:34 PM
How about both hands at the same time!

Shiloh
12-07-2012, 08:48 PM
I practice left handed. I should do it more. When I do, it is a new exercise in humility.

Shiloh

MtGun44
12-07-2012, 09:08 PM
LOL! When I first started shooting IPSC in 1980, we did a fair bit of "weak hand" shooting. The
first time, I wondered if I would drop the gun or even hit the backstop.

Now, 32 yrs later, I am a good bit slower with the left hand but you would NOT want to stand out
there! :bigsmyl2:

Practice makes perfect. Three tips. Canting the gun about 10-20 degrees to the right helps in recoil
control (left hand shooting for a righty), and turn a good bit to your right with your feet, at least 45 deg
from sight line but for me more like 60 deg works best. Also, if you can, pull your strong hand and arm
up and put your right hand (some make a fist) over your heart and clench the whole upper chest
muscle set with your right arm, seems to stabilize everything. Of course, remember we are
rapid firing on multiple targets so some of this is for recoil control and rapid follow-up shots
more than one shot super accuracy.

Practice, practice, practice. Spend 5 minutes dry firing twice a week and you will see HUGE improvements.

Bill

jlchucker
12-08-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm a lefty, and I can't shoot a handgun worth a ****. I need to practice-practice-practice, but I've pretty much stuck with rifles over the past 20 years or so. Therefore it wouldn't matter which hand I tried to shoot with--I feel like I need to learn handgun shooting all over again.

Mugs
12-08-2012, 12:06 PM
When Bev started shooting Silhouette I discovered she was right handed left eyed. Since all my guns were left handed she learned to shoot left handed creedmore. She still prefers to shoot standing right handed. She does a good job both handed.

Mugs

Thumbcocker
12-08-2012, 01:00 PM
When my right bicep detached and my right arm in a cast for 6 weeks I shot lefty. Never got as good as right hand but got respectable with single actions. It takes more mental energy but the basics are still the same sights and trigger. Dry firing helped a lot.

fouronesix
12-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Had to do left hand/weak hand training for 27 years. Also did some PPC competition that required it. The muscle memory does kick in but you have to work at it. The hardest part may be switching to the non-dominant eye when shooting weak hand- especially if your dominant eye is overly so. Those who can easily switch from the normal hand and eye to the non-normal side do the best.