PDA

View Full Version : Mauser in 358 question

Wolfer
12-05-2012, 08:43 PM
I'm wanting to build one of my Turks into a larger bore CB gun. I've built two rifles, one in 7x57 and one in 270. I assume working on the feed rails for a 358 will be no worse than the 270. My real question is do I have to block up the mag well for this length cartridge.
What I would really like is a bigger bore on the 57 case. Is there anything besides 9.3x57 out there?

Nobade
12-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Well, there is a 9X57 also. But the 358 loaded with #358009 would be about the right length anyhow with the boolit seated to the base of the neck.

timspawn
12-05-2012, 09:18 PM
I had a 358 built on 98 action. There was no mag block and it was not an issue.

Wolfer
12-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys
Nobade is the 9x57 a 357 grove. Is this something I could have one of my 8mm bored to.
What about dies?

gzig5
12-07-2012, 02:19 AM
9x 57 will shoot .356-358 boolits, even jacketed. I think it is a .356 bore. Dies are available but they are about $75-85. Proper headstamp brass is out there but it is much cheaper to neck up 8x57. Rebore depends on muzzle diameter, you need caliber plus .100-.125" per side so about .600" minimum. Sometimes re-borers won't mess with military barrels and you are going to spend at least $200 for a rebore.
There are others, but this is probably one of the best.
http://deltagunshop.com/clearwater_reboring/index.html

flounderman
12-07-2012, 08:55 AM
I'd go with the 358 and get a short chambered shaw barrel. some turks have small ring threads and you can have a remington takeoff rethreaded under the rem threads. You have to pull a turk barrel to be sure what you have. If the bolt release has an extension that reaches the top of a tall clip slot, it's probably small ring threads. I don't have any problem feeding 243s from the magazine just the way it is. I would not spend the money to rebore a military barrel. I use the turks with the small threads because you can get a cheap takeoff barrel and rethread and rechamber. cheapest way to go. the 35 remington and 358 are the cheapest calibers to work with. You can neck out 308 brass and probably get lee rgb dies for the 358. I'd stay away from reboreing and odd calibers. before you do anything, check to see which size barrel threads you have.

Wolfer
12-07-2012, 02:15 PM
It is the small threads. I contacted shaw and they won't thread me a barrel. I personally don't think the Turk is that much weaker since it is a large ring. I probably wouldn't chamber it in a belted mag because of the barrel getting thin but I'm not afraid of anything the size of the 57 case.
I have an old lathe, 1894 porter machine works but I'm not confident enough in my skills yet to thread a barrel. I've been practicing on pipe and thought when I could thread 20 pieces without a boo- boo I would buy a barrel. Haven't made it past 5 yet without a hiccup.
I would have to check but I think the 35 rem is a smaller head size?
I don't need another gun, I just like to tinker.

flounderman
12-07-2012, 09:40 PM
I have turks in 7 rem mag, 243, 22-250, probably a cheetah and a middlestead. just chambered another 7 mag and if I find a reamer a 264 mag. I don't think you lose anything with the small thread because the receiver is twice as thick. If you have a lathe, you can thread a remington takeoff to small threads and not have to do any chamber work. I had several threaded years ago and the smith matched them to his action. I ended up having to use a washer for a spacer between the barrel shoulder and the receiver, but remington does this. you can use a model 70 barrel but the threads will not be quite full length. it is best ifyou have a finish reamer and headspace after the barrel is fitting but it should be possible to fit the barrel and use the original chamber, with careful fitting. I have always had someone else cut the threads and just fine tuned them. I have a model 70 barrel in 270, that has an extractor cut and heavy surface rust on the outside. inside is good. If you want it to practice on, you can have it for the postage. just pm me.

Wolfer
12-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks flounderman
I have several old barrels to play with. Been practicing with some pipe