PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg MVP Predator (5.56 bolt rifle that uses AR-15 magazines)

exile
12-05-2012, 07:44 PM
I was at my local gunshop today and saw a rifle I had never seen before. It was a Mossberg MVP Predator. Essentially a bolt action rifle chambered in 5.56 Nato that accepts AR-15 magazines. It had a brown laminate stock, an adjustable trigger (much like the Savage rifles) and an 18.5" medium weight barrel. I am no rifle expert, but the trigger seemed o.k. to me. Unless someone tells me horror stories about this rifle, I plan to buy one after Christmas. Any thoughts?

They wanted $ 550.00 for the rifle.

Any ideas about a scope in the two to three hundred dollar range for this rifle would be appreciated as well.

Does anyone actually have one? Where are they made? Any second hand stories about this rifle even?

Thanks.

exile

Lefty SRH
12-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Check out Nikon Buckmaster scope for that rifle. Also take a look at the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle. Its similar to the Mossberg MVP but chambered in .308.

exile
12-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Check out Nikon Buckmaster scope for that rifle. Also take a look at the Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle. Its similar to the Mossberg MVP but chambered in .308.

Thanks for the scope advice. After I posted this thread, I noticed that someone had just started a thread on this rifle. Sorry for the duplication. I checked on the internet for information on this rifle. An on-line gun magazine did an article on the rifle and, of course, they liked it. However, a thread on "Predator Masters" indicated that there have been many problems with this rifle, and many guns returned to Mossberg. I am disappointed. I really like this rifle. So much so that I may buy one and take my chances with it, but I don't know. Anyway, that's what I know, sort of.

exile

Love Life
12-06-2012, 05:26 PM
My buddy has one and has had no problems with it. He has shot close to 700 rounds through it. His advice is to not wast money on the 30 round mags and use the 10-20 rd mags. The 30 rd mags give him problems when shooting from the prone without bi-pods or bags. It is very accurate and has contributed to much fun out here.