PDA

View Full Version : Which .357 lever gun should I get?

7Acres
12-05-2012, 03:13 PM
I'm looking for thoughts on which .357 lever gun I should buy. First, I'd like to get .a 357 lever gun for these reasons. First, I already cast and reload for .357. Second, I want a rifle my house guests and wife would want to try shooting without worrying about how much the recoil will hurt. Third, I want to be able to shoot it off my back porch without the people inside getting shell shocked. Then my preference would be for a Rossi for two reasons: 1) it's inexpensive in comparison to Winchester & Uberti and 2) I think I would enjoy learning a lot from slicking it up and accurizing it. I've read some varying opinions seeming to agree that a slower twist rate is preferable for shooting cast; and I want to get the most accuracy out of this gun. So I think I want to make slow twist rate a priority for this purchase. But I don't see any details on Rossi's website saying what twist rate their various models actually have.*

Finally, my wife really likes how pretty the stainless barreled version looks. I'm not telling her the gun is for her because she'd never sign off on the purchase if it was for her. But I've sort of implied that it's going to be "her" rifle because it uses the same ammo her carry gun uses so that's why it would be such a practical gun to get. :lol:*But my question about the stainless version relates to the hardness of the metal. Any concerns about that if I plan to fire lap it?*

Btw, it doesn't have to be a Rossi. Any and all feedback is welcome!

MT Gianni
12-05-2012, 03:57 PM
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/
That link should get you some reading about Rossi's. I believe they are a good value .

7Acres
12-05-2012, 04:21 PM
That link should get you some reading about Rossi's. I believe they are a good value .

Thanks for that link! I hadn't come across that site so far. Looks like a gold mine of info.

Dorado
12-05-2012, 05:08 PM
I have a Marlin 1894 in .357. It's not as pretty as the Uberti's but it is very reliable and accurate for me. I use it for CAS and I've never had a problem out of it. If you do look at the Marlins, I have a good piece of advice, don't buy a new one. Try to find one from the North Haven Connecticut factory. They changed factories and the new facility hasn't figured it out quite yet.

Oh, they don't like swc boolits.

btroj
12-05-2012, 06:29 PM
I like my Marlin. It doesn't like SWC bullets, it feeds them it just doesn't shoot them well.
I like the ability to easily clean from the breech.

wv109323
12-06-2012, 12:34 AM
The Marlin has an advantage if your eyes are getting old and you might want to add a scope. I have an older Rossi. The sights are low quality in my opinion. The action needs smoothed out and it is hard to tell what type of trigger pull a Rossi will have. I slicked up my action and installed a lighter ejector spring. My gun must use the .357 case as a .38 Special case (being shorter) will not feed reliably.
Actually the rifle will eject the fired case and the next live .38 round will hop completely out of the gun and you close the action on an empty chamber.
I would look for a Marlin but it depends if you can find a used one at a decent price. A stainless rifle would be hard to finf unless new.

gmsharps
12-06-2012, 03:48 AM
I have a Browning 357 B92 lever that I sure like.

gmsharps

marlin39a
12-06-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm going through the same decision making myself. I am leaning to the Rossi 92 with Octagon barrel. 24". I can get one today for about $500.00 taxed. Now I see they make it with a case colored receiver. None in my area. Might wait for it. Will be the Rossi for sure.

9.3X62AL
12-06-2012, 09:06 AM
I opted for a Winchester (Miroku) 92 in 44 Magnum about a year ago, and this example is flawless. Rossi rifles can be a little uneven in terms of final finish internally, but if you're willing to do a little of the refinement I've read about here and seen from friends' rifles--the Rossi is probably a better buy per dollar spent. One other reason for going Winchester was distrust of Marlin QC since the factory moved. I have 3 Marlin leverguns that I'm very happy with, but they date from between 1974 and 2004. The few NY Marlins I've seen (both 1895s) didn't impress me. I do hope Marlin gets their kit in one bag, and soon.

I would roll the bones on a Rossi in 357, with the other leverguns behaving so well. :) 357 Magnum and 45-70 are the only "holes" in my levergun caliber ensemble at present. Those Miroku 86 repros are CALLING to me, too.

fecmech
12-06-2012, 11:04 AM
I bought two Rossi's over the past couple of years. A 20" carbine and 24" octagon, both the newer Braztech guns. I have put multiple thousands of rounds through both of them and have had no problems to date. They are accurate well made guns IMO and the best dollar value in pistol caliber lever guns. The latest ones that I've seen have better sights but the stocks look like they have just been stained but not finished. Priced at $440. locally I would just put some Truoil on the wood and forgeddaboutit!

northmn
12-06-2012, 01:37 PM
I had a Rossi and liked it but it shot very high and I filed down the rear sight, Was not drilled for a peep sight which I prefer. I now use a Marlin 32-20 with a fiber optic front sight and peep. Were I to get another Rossi, I would adapt it to that sighting system. Also the 38's and 357's did not shoot very close to point of aim when the loads were varied and the rifle did not like to feed some of the blunter bullets. It was a fun rifle and fairly enjoyable with 38 special loads. I also had 32-20 Marlin and decided to keep it instead of the Rossi which came in handy for another trade.
For casual shooting the Rossi is a lot of fun. I do not have much use for carrying a pistol and rifle with interchageable ammo. It appeals to some, but when I go out in the woods for firewood or ride the 4 wheeler or whatever I carry two guns for two different purposes. Were I to carry a 357 pistol and rifle they would have different loads.

DP

missionary5155
12-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Greetings
Have only had one 357 lever rifle and that is a Marlin. Had it out Tuesday when I was shooting over the crono and as always it worked just fine with everything. Mine does not do to badly with a 175 grain SWC pushed by 13 grains 2400. Seems to like 7 grains of Unique with most every boolit I try it with. Just be sure to keep them fat. I size at .360 minimum.
You must adhere to the cartrige OAL and not exceed it by even a few freckles. That 175 grainer has a long nose and will not cycle (found out the hard way) as it is too long unless you shorten the brass or just use 38 Special brass for that one.
So I like my Marlin.
Mike in ILL.

Tazman1602
12-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Dude if you're mechanically inclined at all the Rossi's are a great deal. You'll need to respring it and change the front sight but once you get them dialed in they are VERY smooth and will cycle flawlessly with just about anything. I have one with 24" barrel case hardened reciecer and it's a beauty and a tack driver now.

I paid dealer price for mine because I'm a dealer, but you should be able to find one for around $450 and once you get $15 worth of springs and another $35 on a disassembly DVD and $5 for the right front sight you'll have a LOT less into it than you would a Marlin.

I LOVE my Marlins but don't want to pay the price for one nor am I very impressed with the new Marlingtons.

There's talk the 1-30 twist won't handle 158 grain bullets ---- NOT true, it shoots them just dandy. Mine has the 24" octagon barrel and I can't believe the velocities I'm getting out of even light loads in. 357 haven't tried. 38 special yet but this little Rossi is addictive for the price....now I need a 16" .357 and one of the. 44 mags and a .454 Casull.

Bill Hicks Co. Has LOTS of different configurations in stock and ready to go and they're good people to deal with also. Have your dealer contact them then take a look at the Rossi Rifleman forum which was started by Ranch Dog ---- he is a HUGE help with these rifles also.

Art

TCLouis
12-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Rossi 92 would be my vote, but plan on a new higher front sight right off the bat.

Least ways that seems to be the trend.

I'm looking to get the Stainless 20"

runfiverun
12-07-2012, 12:36 AM
be aware the taurus-rossi 92's have a definate bias towards 125 gr boolits,and may not want to shoot other weights well.

Tazman1602
12-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Kind of true. Bias towards 125 grain bullets maybe, but they shoot up to 158 grain bullets just fine Runfiver. I know the twist isn't enough blah blah blah, but up to 158 grains is just fine. I haven't tried any heavier in mine yet but I certainly will.

Higher front sight is a given though as (at least mine and five others I've talke to) shot a foot high at 100 yards out of the box.

Art

be aware the taurus-rossi 92's have a definate bias towards 125 gr boolits,and may not want to shoot other weights well.

fecmech
12-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Like many statements the devil is in the details. IME the Rossi's will not shoot the heavier bullets well to longer ranges at lower velocities. i.e. many .38 spl level loads(1000-1100 fps) to 100 yds. They will shoot, again IME, 158-173 gr bullets very accurately at magnum velocities (1500-1700 fps) quite well out to 200 yds. They also like the 120-130 gr bullets at about any velocity as does my 16" twist Winchester. So if a fellow is looking to shoot 180 gr bullets at lower velocities the Rossi platform is probably not the place to start.

Baja_Traveler
12-07-2012, 11:56 AM
I shoot a .357 Rossi for pistol cartridge silhouette - using 158 grain snakebit boolits and 25 grains 3F black powder. It shoots the 158 grain boolits very accurately in my rifle (I shoot AAA class).
I do not shoot Rossi sights - Lyman 17a on the front and a Marbles tang sight on the back.

dragon813gt
12-07-2012, 12:38 PM
I have a Marlin 1894C and love it. It's a new production one made by Remington. It works flawlessly and has none of the problems of the early production ones. Over on the Marlin Owners forum you will see more positive reports of new production rifles popping up every day.

There were definitely problems with the early rifles. But I think a lot if hate comes from the emotions of closing down the CT plant and screwing the workers over. I get this part and the first rifles were not acceptable. But they seem to have things smoothed out now.

You do have to watch OAL. But mine fires the lightest to the heavyweight bullets great. It's extremely easy to scope one if you wanted to. I put a Skinner Sight on mine and love it. It suits the rifle more than a scope. Here is a pic from last week when I was out hunting.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/Firearms/7DD280AF-E3B9-4D85-90DB-BDC72A685BFA-2609-000001932A05D742.jpg

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Fishman
12-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Dragon, I love the picture!

Tazman1602
12-07-2012, 04:49 PM
That is a great pic and a NICE looking Rifle Dragon, would it be OK if I asked if it was new when you bought it and how much it cost? The costs I've seen of the new Marlingtons has been scaring me to death. No offense intended, I'd LOVE to have one but had to settle for a Rossi which has turned out to be a really nice rifle for me.

Art

dragon813gt
12-07-2012, 06:47 PM
It was bought new back in June for right around $600. I did have snap caps for both 38 and 357 to make sure it cycled. The forend is a little chunky compared to the CT rifles but it's not nearly as bad as the early Remington production ones. It's also a hunting rifle and it will get abused so I wasn't to concerned w/ it being a beauty queen.

I could slick up the action but it's perfect for hunting. The actions of the Rossis I played w/ all felt extremely gritty. I was willing to pay more money for one that I didn't need to send out for work.

Jeff H
12-07-2012, 06:56 PM
I have a Rossi in 16". It is VERY handy. It shoots the LEE 125 RFNs extremely well and that's what I shoot from it most. The others I shoot a lot of are the LEE 158 TL SWC and LEE 158 RFN. I shoot the TL mostly at very low velocity and the RFN at normal magnum velocities. The 125s leave the 16" barrel of the Rossi at about the speed they would a 4" handgun just because that's the way I load them and they are great for "shootin' off the back porch" type of applications. Fecmech was instrumental in my success in load development/bullet selection. Another stellar performer in my Rossi, which he had recommended was the LEE 120 TC bullet for the 9mm. Since the 125 RFN does the same thing I just shoot that one.

Scoping is not a problem. $13 for the mount and I happene to prefer the scope mounted forward in this case. I had a Marlin in .44 mag and they are fine rifles. It's said the 92 is stronger but I don't usually load to full magnum potential, let alone over it so that's a non-issue for me.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t284/mike-foxtrot/Rossi92Right.jpg

marlin39a
12-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Just got home and checked Davidsons Gallery of Guns website. 2 Rossi 92 357, 24" Octagon, Case Colored, in stock. Just locked mine in with a deposit and will be at my dealers on Monday. $490.59 and the tax. I feel like a kid before Christmas!

BCRider
12-07-2012, 10:23 PM
For those of you that found your Rossis shoot high instead of a taller front sight you might want to try this fix. I did the shaping of the littel notch into a mouth upward "C" using a small jeweler's rat tail round file. Not only did this mod lower the sighting line of the rear sight but it also made it sort of act like a ghost ring. To use it as shown I center the front bead in the middle of the small center "C" opening and it's fine for accuracy out to around 70 yards.

For close in cowboy shooting I still had to remove the elevation wedge since it was still too high even on the lowest setting. That's why it's missing in the picture.

TXGunNut
12-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Not to hi-jack 7acres' excellent thread but what are the sight options with the Rossi 92? Is it D&T'd for receiver sights or tang sights? What height 17a for the front sight Baja Traveler?

fecmech
12-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Not to hi-jack 7acres' excellent thread but what are the sight options with the Rossi 92? Is it D&T'd for receiver sights or tang sights? What height 17a for the front sight Baja Traveler?
The Rossi 24" octagon is D&T'd for a tang sight, the 20" carbine is not. Neither is D&T'd for receiver sight and I used the Lyman 17AHB .404" high on my 24" Rossi .357. The 20" carbine is D&T'd for the Rossi scout scope mount under the rear sight assy. All it would take for the carbine tang sight would be D&T one 8-32 hole in the tang, that's what I did on mine and bought one of the $35. Taurus tang sights for it.http://www.taurususa.com/accesories-tangsight.cfm

Tazman1602
12-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Thank you for that info Fecmech. I installed a .500 front on mine (same config as yours) and it is just a bit high now (shoot low). I did have the foresight to buy a .431 when I bought the sights so I am going to try that one.

Man I love this little rifle and the price was SOOOO right..........

Art

The Rossi 24" octagon is D&T'd for a tang sight, the 20" carbine is not. Neither is D&T'd for receiver sight and I used the Lyman 17AHB .404" high on my 24" Rossi .357. The 20" carbine is D&T'd for the Rossi scout scope mount under the rear sight assy. All it would take for the carbine tang sight would be D&T one 8-32 hole in the tang, that's what I did on mine and bought one of the $35. Taurus tang sights for it.http://www.taurususa.com/accesories-tangsight.cfm

7Acres
12-09-2012, 04:23 PM
After all the great feedback I decided to make my first lever gun a Rossi R92 SS 20" round barrel in .357. I feel pretty sure I will want something nicer in the future like a Marlin in .44 magnum, perhaps. But to dip my toe into the lever gun pool I thought it would be prudent to stick to the more affordable R92 especially since there are a lot of aftermarket options and a few forums dedicated to Rossi's. Since I'm on the learning curve with lever guns I'll need to advantage of the wisdom of the masses.

The first accessories I think I'll want is to replace the sights. Thanks for the tips so far. Baja, I'll check out your recommendation of Lyman 17a on the front and a Marbles tang sight on the back. Any others here really happy with their aftermarket sights on their R92 and care to share details?

TXGunNut
12-09-2012, 08:58 PM
After all the great feedback I decided to make my first lever gun a Rossi R92 SS 20" round barrel in .357. I feel pretty sure I will want something nicer in the future like a Marlin in .44 magnum, perhaps. But to dip my toe into the lever gun pool I thought it would be prudent to stick to the more affordable R92 especially since there are a lot of aftermarket options and a few forums dedicated to Rossi's. Since I'm on the learning curve with lever guns I'll need to advantage of the wisdom of the masses.

The first accessories I think I'll want is to replace the sights. Thanks for the tips so far. Baja, I'll check out your recommendation of Lyman 17a on the front and a Marbles tang sight on the back. Any others here really happy with their aftermarket sights on their R92 and care to share details?

Excellent choice, I'm torn between that and the color case hardened rifle. Enjoy!

Jeff H
12-09-2012, 10:51 PM
As Fecmech indicated, mounting the scout scope base is easy - the holes are there but hidden under the rear sight. If you mount a tang sight, you may want to get a dovetail slot fille and some plug screws to fill all the voids on the barrel that show when the sight is removed. When I ordered the scope base, the mounting screws were included.

While the carbines are not D/T'd for a reciever sight, a couple 6-48 holes is all that is needed. The flat reciever is easy to set up. This sight was originally for a Remington 740 so I reshaped the back of the base to fit the flat reciever.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t284/mike-foxtrot/Rossi92WMSFP1.jpg

EDIT:
I removed the off-center bead from the front sight and soldered in a brass insert to make the front sight a square post too.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t284/mike-foxtrot/Rossi92FRST.jpg

TXGunNut
12-10-2012, 01:19 AM
Very nice Jeff. Very clean install.

jlchucker
12-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Ive got one of those, with a 16 inch barrel, and the Lee 125 gr FP mold. I've mostly used the loading data shown on the Titegroup can--3.8 grains. Not bad, but I'm wondering what other powders to try in 38 special cases. Any ideas for a starting point?

dragon813gt
12-10-2012, 11:49 AM
W231/HP-38 and Universal will both work well. You will get a slightly greater velocity at a slightly smaller charge w/ Universal. For the highest velocity you can try AutoComp. I personally use W231/HP-38 for all pistols loads besides magnums.

Tazman1602
12-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Oh Geez Jeff, that is a NICE conversion on that sight -- the holes you had to drill did not interfere with any of the action parts at all? Man that beats a tang sight all to hell............

Art

As Fecmech indicated, mounting the scout scope base is easy - the holes are there but hidden under the rear sight. If you mount a tang sight, you may want to get a dovetail slot fille and some plug screws to fill all the voids on the barrel that show when the sight is removed. When I ordered the scope base, the mounting screws were included.

While the carbines are not D/T'd for a reciever sight, a couple 6-48 holes is all that is needed. The flat reciever is easy to set up. This sight was originally for a Remington 740 so I reshaped the back of the base to fit the flat reciever.

EDIT:
I removed the off-center bead from the front sight and soldered in a brass insert to make the front sight a square post too.

Jeff H
12-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Very nice Jeff. Very clean install.

Thanks!

Oh Geez Jeff, that is a NICE conversion on that sight -- the holes you had to drill did not interfere with any of the action parts at all? Man that beats a tang sight all to hell............

Art

A tang sight still gives more sight radius, but I like this where it is. No interfereance with the innards. I believe the rear hole ended up being over the lug race and was a through hole and then cleaned up on the inside. The front hole was a blind hole opposite a bolt guide race - actually, centered at the top edge of the bolt guide race, but a blind hole none the less. Would have been a booger to clean up from the inside and I had enough thickness that I didn't have to go through anyway. Been a few months isnce I did it but there was plenty of steel and it wasn't case hardened like the Mausers I am used to so it was pretty easy going.

I did make sure I mounted it forward a fuzz to clear the safety that isn't and there is a threaded post opposite the base that rests on the reciever once dialed in so you don't tweak the beam if you bang it. That had to hit in front of the bolt lug.

Tatersoup
12-11-2012, 03:11 PM
I'm partial to Marlins. Made in USA is part of the reason.

Barrmac
12-11-2012, 05:27 PM
My Rossi Ranchhand has not returned form their service department yet. It hit the top of the target with a 6 o'clock hold at 12.5 yards and would not hit the paper at 25 yards( very high in 45 colt) different ammo did not change it. I sent it in September and it is not back yet.( now December) On the other hand, I have a Stainless Chiappa M92 Replica that shoots to point of aim and feeds all handloads. It likes 38 special SWC's as well as any 357 ammo. The front blade is thinner and you can shoot the black out of a rifle target at 25 yards while standing freehold. When I phoned Rossi, they said all rifles are serviced at their Florida site only. The local wholesaler sent mine to a gunsmith in Toronto ( 3500KMs away from the store I bought it at.)

Barrmac
12-11-2012, 06:15 PM
When it comes to powders to use for 38 special, don't overlook the shotgun powders like red dot.@ 3.5 grains which is a light load, you get 2000 shots from a pound of powder. It burns clean and can be used with Winchester white wads to load cast Lee shotgun slugs or trap loads as well. I used to buy bulk powder for 8.00 dollars a pound, but the new price is 35 dollars a pound locally.( read that highway robbery). Red dot burns clean, bullseye and 231 are also excellent choices. For 357 loads I find that Blue dot is cost effective and burns clean. I use red dot for 45 colt loads as well as the unit cost is lower than the historically popular Unique. I bought a pound of HP-38 to try as I love to play at the range and on the loading bench. I have not used it yet, but will try some loads in the near future. In .358, I cast 150 SWC, 148 Wadcutter bevel base. and 160 and 178 round nose bullets for my fun.

winchester85
12-11-2012, 09:00 PM
i sure like my late production (AE with tang safety) winchester. 20" barrel, pistol grip, shoots as cast 160gr rnfp into 3" at 100 yards with stock crappy sights (blade front).

wallacem
12-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Gosh, why has no one mentioned the Winchester 357 mag rifle? I have one, in fact, have not even fired it yet, but it is beautiful and I expect it to be great. Wallacem in Ga.

7Acres
12-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I picked up my stainless round 20" .357 Rossi R92 yesterday. It is truly a thing of beauty! Haven't shot it yet. But I can't wait! Thanks to each of you for helping me get comfortable with this selection.

WyrTwister
12-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Rossi , if you can see iron sights . Marlin if you can not .

God bless
Wyr

10x
12-13-2012, 08:56 PM

My email address gets bounced as spam. How does one join?

Wills Point Pete
12-13-2012, 11:15 PM
My Marlin .357 spent over ten years riding in a county cruiser in a rural county. It shoots hard cast boolits well, as well as the heavier JHPs. It also shoots softer cast boolits at modest velocities. The owner was lucky enough to have never had to shoot a human with it but it accounted for several large critters hit with cars and suchlike but not killed. It also managed several of our smallish southwestern whitetail deer and several suspected rabidy skunks and coyotes Cast bullets always gave complete penetration at any broadside to quartering shots on deer. It now serves as a home defense weapon for my #2 son.

I found a Navy Arms (Rossi) clone of the 92 Winchester in stainless that shoots anything I feed it. It's in .45 Colt but they were also made in .357. This is the 24 inch octagon barrel. It was always brute strong and responed very well to a set of springs and a little stoning of the action. Shooting some of the top "Ruger and TC Contender" loads in it made that crescent buttplate back right up, that wouldn't be a problem in .357.

The Marlin wears a Williams receiver sight and the Rossi a Marble's Tang. Both will, with carefull work on loads, stay in six inches at a hundred and fifty yards, after that the bead front sights cover up too much of the target, though I have managed to ring a three hundred yard 24 inch gong once I managed to adjust the tang sight enogh, and that was with BP and a soft cast bullet in the Navy Arms, those loads are a real hoot!

BAGTIC
12-16-2012, 04:08 PM
I have Browning, Rossi, and Marlin. All of them shoot pistol style bullets up to 180 grains acceptably. If one didn't I would try a different bullet rather than a different gun. I personally favored the open topped Browning and Rossi as I don't scope my LA rifles, just shoot them the way God created them. As I like to experiment and shoot oddball loads, including round balls, I find the open action more accessible and convenient for single loading.

Get the one YOU like best. They are all a ball of fun.