PDA

View Full Version : Vegetable oil canola oil

Nikkisdad
12-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Can I use vegetable oil in place of canola oil for emmerts lube recipe. Need to make up some lube and don't have canola on hand. Thanks

cbrick
12-05-2012, 12:01 PM
I've not done that myself but here is some info on lube ingredients, the answer your looking for may here.

Bullet Lube ingredients (http://www.lasc.us/LubeIngredients.htm)

Rick

Nikkisdad
12-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks Rick, no where does it say vegetable oil, so I gotta go to the store also will add some lanolin to the formula...Manny

waksupi
12-05-2012, 01:53 PM
As far as I'm concerned, canola oil IS vegetable oil.

rhbrink
12-05-2012, 02:14 PM
The original receipe was made before there was such a thing as canola oil. I would have to do some looking but I think that originally it called for corn oil but any of it would work I think and adding some lanolin does help.

RB

popper
12-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Mazzola is canola, I just use it straight. Most all cooking oil is canola.

C.F.Plinker
12-05-2012, 04:00 PM
IIRC canola oil was originally developed for the Canadian military. It means CANadian Oil Low Acid and is made from the rapeseed plant. Thus it is a low acid vegetable oil. Other vegetable oils would be made from olives, corn, safflower, peanuts, sunflowers, etc. or a combination of them.

geargnasher
12-05-2012, 09:27 PM
C.F. Plinker, good post!

Canola oil is processed into engine oil and other things, it's a very good natural oil base.

Gear

cbrick
12-06-2012, 08:25 PM
The following is from Lube Ingredients ("http://www.lasc.us/LubeIngredients.htm) - It is a vegetable oil.

Canola Oil

Canola was developed through conventional plant breeding from rapeseed, an oilseed plant with roots in ancient civilization. The word "rape" in rapeseed comes from the Latin word "rapum," meaning turnip. Turnip, rutabaga, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, mustard and many other vegetables are related to the two canola species commonly grown: Brassica napus and Brassica rapa.

Its use was limited until the development of steam power, when machinists found rapeseed oil clung to water and steam-washed metal surfaces better than other lubricants. World War II saw high demand for the oil as a lubricant for the rapidly increasing number of steam engines in naval and merchant ships. Canola oil is a promising source for manufacturing biodiesel, a renewable alternative to fossil fuels. Compared with sunflower, corn, peanut, and many other oils, Canola has a low ratio of saturated to unsaturated fat. dubbed Canola, from Canadian Oil Low Acid.

Rick

Boondocker
12-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Good stuff, my can of One Shot lost its umpf once ( old) since replaced. Got the wife's generic spray and gave them a puff. It worked and I shot them fine. It was 30-30 170 Lee's over Unique. I saved a few and test shot yearly 2 years now and now contamination, still shoots. I am using my One Shot again tho.

popper
12-12-2012, 04:36 PM
One Shot - case lube for CB lube?

Boondocker
12-12-2012, 05:49 PM
No I used it for case lube for sizing with no ill effects to powder spoilage.

10 ga
12-12-2012, 06:30 PM
For making lube and other uses, like cooking, vegetable oils have different "smoke" points, link should give some insight. I have used refined safflower and peanut oil for loob makin mostly, and then I'm a ML kinda guy. Now I have some "grapeseed oil" that my daughter reccomended for cooking and will use it in my loobs and see how it does. Not that "smoke point" has much meaning for shooting the "Holy Black". But should mean less fouling and more "oiling" in the lube.

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/collectedinfo/oilsmokepoints.htm

Best to all, 10 ga

"lead paint dust"

x

nanuk
12-13-2012, 07:15 PM
I live just west of the Canola Triangle.

there is a town area known as "The Land of Rape and Honey"

there was a push to change the name by Feminists, but Farmers were smarter, and said Rape seed is what it is known as, Rape seed is what it will be called.

nowadays, no one grows rape, it is all Canola, and I can tell you, as I drive around, there is a SIGNIFICANT amount of Yellow in the fields.

there are even two crushing plants nearby.

the plants sell oil for $1/liter. hard to figure out how Biodiesel can be cost effective...

I plan on growing some in the next couple years. I can heat my house, run my tractor, make camping firelogs with it!

it IS good stuff