PDA

View Full Version : Corn cob media for Fluxing Lead?

astroskg
12-05-2012, 10:22 AM
got a question for you all. i know there are products out there to flux your lead , have herd of people using Wax, Saw Dust, ECT...
question is Has any one ever used your used Corn cob media or walnut shell from our brass tumblers? most of us have lots of used
media that doesn't seem to clean brass any more and we change it out with new media, can we use it as Flux?
just thinking out loud on paper. might give it a try this weekend unless someone knows a reason why it won't work or why i shouldn't use it.
just trying to find a product i have around in large amounts that could be used for another task. dirty brass usually only has Dirt, and some carbon/burnt powder residue neither of which i feel could be harmful to the lead or myself, i deprime all my brass before tumbling so there is no chance of a primer in the media live or used , is there any reason not to use it?

Hamish
12-05-2012, 11:04 AM
First thought that comes to mind is that the media is covered with lead styphnate residue from the primers, and when the media smokes and burns, it will be made airborne.

cbrick
12-05-2012, 11:42 AM
This has been discussed here many times, would probably work but I wouldn't do it. As Hamish said, lead styphnate.

I use a spray bottle and dampen the used corn cob medium before changing it and always keep the tumbler lid in place when it's running. I wash my hands whenever I get brass out of the tumbler. You'll not glow in the dark from it but it is another and a very easy source of lead contamination. Breathing the dust or covering your hands with this dust is an area where a little knowledge and common sense goes a long way.

Rick

astroskg
12-05-2012, 01:40 PM
thanks guys i had done a quick scan of the blogs before posting this question but really didn't see much after i did a deeper search in these blogs I found a few references to corn cob and walnut shell but still nothing on used stuff so guess i will try using the clean stuff and not try to recycle the old used stuff.

bslim
12-05-2012, 09:33 PM
I tried using clean/new walnut shell media and found it did not work as well as saw dust.

TreeKiller
12-05-2012, 10:32 PM
I tried some walnut shells not new walnut shell media on top of a layman pot and they seemed to work good. It took them a long time to char.
Dan