PDA

View Full Version : Soft lube.

pdawg_shooter
12-05-2012, 08:59 AM
I have some BAC I want to soften up some for hand lubing. Any idea what I can add (besides heat) to make it easier to apply by hand? This will be for handgun rounds.

btroj
12-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Vaseline would be my suggestion.

geargnasher
12-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Vaseline will soften it without changing it's characteristics much. Automatic transmission fluid or synthetic two-cycle premix or injector oil will soften it but add more "slickum", which can be a good thing in cold weather and a bad thing in hot weather if you use too much.

I would start by adding two tablespoons of Vaseline per pound of the BAC, leave it in the container in which it was melted for 24 hours and check the consistency then. If it's still too hard after a day, remelt and add another tablespoon per pound. If using thin oil, try one tablespoon per pound first, a little goes a long way toward softening waxes.

DON'T use anything intended for manual transmissions, gearboxes, hubs, or hypoid gears, as those products contain a phosphate and sulfur extreme-pressure additive package that's hostile to yellow metals.

Gear

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-05-2012, 09:25 PM
If the boolit style is conducive, have you considered "Dip Lubing" ?
for small batches, I actually prefer it to pan lubing.
Jon

pdawg_shooter
12-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks guys. I dont have to hand lube many, but the BAC is just a tad stiff to work easy.

leftiye
12-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Maybe Mineral spirits. It will evaporate out after applied and leave the lube unchanged.