PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know if .221 Fireball brass can be made from .223?

Linstrum
06-23-2007, 05:21 AM
Any .221 Fireball shooters among us?

Before I commence doing a lot of hard work standing in front of my lathe threading and chambering a rifle barrel for a rather obscure cartridge originally meant for the futuristic Remington XP-100 bolt action hunting pistol, I would like to find out if Fireball brass can be easily made using the 5.56/.223 Remington as the parent cartridge. After comparing the two, it would appear that it can be done no big problem, but I have had more than just occasional difficulties reloading the rather thin-walled .223 Remington cartridges because all it takes is a butterfly sneeze to telescope the cartridge neck down inside the shoulder region if the neck tension is a tad too tight when inserting the bullet. Even though the entire perimeter of the cartridge would be supported by the die, I can see that this could very well translate into the .223 cartridge shoulder caving in just as easily when running it into the Fireball die to set the shoulder back to form the 0.360" shorter cartridge. It may very well require the use of both the .222 Remington followed by the .30-.221 Fireball dies as less aggressive intermediate metal working steps. But I don't know.

The method to my madness is that not too long ago I bagged a brand new Clymer .221 Fireball finish reamer along with nine – yup, count ‘em! – nine new unchambered 17" 0.224 caliber x 9-inch rifling twist barrel blanks over on eBay. The barrels were being offered by the Montana Rifleman barrel factory and the guy I talked to there said they were surplus match grade that were originally meant for rebarreling the newer AR15/M16 that originally came with the high rate of twist rifling, so the replacement barrels are probably capable of pretty decent accuracy with the right weight boolit.

I did read up on .221 Fireball performance in my Lyman 46th as well as over at:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/reloads/0505/

and the .221 Fireball is definitely no .223 Remington with 55 grain and heavier Red Coats, but in the 35-50 grain range, its performance is not all that far below the larger cartridge using the smaller weight Red Coats, getting the pointy little copper-clad pills out of a 22-inch barrel at 3500 fps with the right powder for the job. Of course with our “Beauties-Born-Of-The-Silver-Stream”
:castmine: :cbpour:
the .221 Fireball is quite comparable to the .223 Remington using 55 and 62+ grain boolits (even in short 10-inch TC Contender barrels) because of the 2000 - 2200 fps leading threshold we usually have to stay below to avoid problems.

Being near the small end of the .22 center-fire family of cartridges, it seems like it would be a fun little cartridge with Hornet-like performance using cast boolits out of a 17-inch barrel. PASTURE POODLES BEWARE!

Now, to find a .223 Remington reamer - - - I’ve got some New Mexico “coyodelers” that serenade the house I’d like to take care of next.

Pilgrim
06-23-2007, 10:29 AM
I've done it...it's easy. I used a .222 Rem as an intermediate die, and then finished with a .221 FL sizer. I didn't have any problems. The usual cautions re: case lube, etc. I had losts of .221 brass so didn't have to use the .221 I formed out of the .223 so I don't know about neck clearance. If you have the clearance to use them without reaming or turning the necks, super. I'd measure the OD of a fired .221 case to get an idea of the max OD you can have with a bullet seated in the reformed .223. I'd guess you could go .001 or perhaps .002 over the measured .221 fired case OD without having problems, Be careful with neck clearance!! Pilgrim

Dale53
06-23-2007, 10:46 AM
I have both a TC pistol barrel in .221 and a Ruger #3 in .221 Remington. It is a great little cartridge. I have shot it extensively with both jacketed and cast lead (Lyman 225415 GC).

I have used the .221 full length sizing die in three stages for converting.

However, .221 brass is readily available and I prefer "native" cases...

Dale53

Johnch
06-23-2007, 02:57 PM
I have made it from 223
I had to inside ream the cases for neck clearance
Found the 221/223 cases had 5-10 % less case capasity vers 221 cases
Depending if I used comercal or mil. brass

IMO buy 221 cases

John

Linstrum
06-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Hi, guys, thanks for the replies!

Confirming that .221 is not that hard to make from .223, as well as the warning that goes with it about reaming out fat necks to prevent them from insertion-crimping in the chamber throat was exactly what I needed to know!

I'll take the advice and buy the brass.

One thing I like to do if at all possible is find out what my options are in getting brass for certain calibers in the event that they become an orphan when the brass is no longer manufactured. I’ve been through that a few times over the last several decades with 7.62 x 54R and 7.5 x 54 French. The ammo for my Mosin-Nagant got pretty darned pricey 25 years ago before the 1989 collapse of the Soviet Union allowed a fresh source of ammo since Norma was the only source back then. I was spending $2 each for them and ended up shooting .308 Winchester ammo in my Mosin-Nagant, which actually works pretty darned good with a few simple modifications.

From your descriptions, the Fireball sounds like a very worthwhile .22 cartridge. If my Fireball ever runs out of brass I’ll just dip into my supply of 10,000 once-fired .223 cases and keep going.

Thanks again!

lovedogs
06-25-2007, 06:21 PM
All the above is good advice. Good to check to see if they need reamed. You may also wrinkle a few necks lengthwise as you squeeze them down. That often results in prematurely cracked necks. If you have nothing better to do with your time it might give you something to do, otherwise it's probably just easier to buy .221 brass.

modoc
07-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Linstrum,

I have to agree with the others about buying virgin brass over manufacturing it. I had a 5 gal bucket of 223/5.56 brass and was looking at the .223-221 forming die from RCBS. At almost $200 US:shock: for the die, I decided that my time wasn't worth it. I haven't really played with Boolits in either my Rem. 700 or the XP 100 yet, but the 700 will give .375" group @ 100 yds. using a 40gr V-max:mrgreen: . This has been a very good Rx for the picket pins out in the neighbor's pasture.

redneckdan
07-05-2007, 04:31 PM
it works. I make .300 whisper from 5.56, which is basicly a .221 with bawls.[smilie=1: