PDA

View Full Version : 8mm-06 overall length

rtracy2001
12-05-2012, 12:35 AM
So according to theory, the writers of the reloading manuals use a deliberately short COL to accomodate rifles whose magazine wells are shorter than the standard 30-06 size. As a result of this shorter COL, the bullet or boolit bust be seated deeper effectively reducing case capacity and possibly raising pressures as compared to bullets not seated as deep.

My reloading manual list the MAX COL for the 8mm-06 as 3.228" and for the 30-06 it lists the MAX COL as 3.340" which seems to support this theory.

Well I checked tonight by loading up a dummy round, and I found that my rifle's magazine well was perfectly happy feeding cartridges as long as 3.375" with room to spare (any longer and the bullet fell out of the case). The rifle is an early to mid WWII german M98 (all milled parts with good fit and finish, so not a last ditch rifle, but the date is covered by the scope mount). Slugging the bore confirmed that this was made out of the 8x57JS rifle, not the smaller (.318") bore. I intend to take this girl elk hunting next year as it should be a fun gun to shoot. (Hope to load cast if I can get things set up :bigsmyl2: )

If I seat to the longer COL, are the max loads listed in the manual still true max loads, or will I actually have some extra margin with the longer COL? (please note that I intend to watch pressure signs very closely regardless of what the reloading manual says, so this is as much theoretical as practical at this point.) Also, this may be a moot point since max accuracy may be found well before max loads anyway.

littlejack
12-05-2012, 04:01 AM
rtracy:
Each firearm is an animal unto itself. All safety precautions apply when working up loads. With that being said, I have an 8x57Egyptian Mauser that is rechambered to 8mm-06AI. It has been totally sporterized with a Boyds walnut stock, a Leupold 3x9 VXll scope, a matte black finish, and a Timney trigger. The box magazine did have to be lengthened, as I wanted to shoot the
longer/heavier jacketed bullets.
This is one of my favorite rifles, and shoots very well. I load a Hornaday 195 grain bullet with IMR 4064 to 2800 fps chrony'd.
Just work up your loads causiously, and keep watch for the pressure signs.
Jack

UBER7MM
12-06-2012, 10:36 PM
rtracy,

3.228" seems a bit short for a 30'06 based case. I believe 3.340" is more like it. I like to push the boolit/bullet out to the rifling. For j-words, I then back off 30 thousands. I've also had to open up the magazine to hold the custom cartridge length.

Littlejack is right. Each firearm is an animal unto itself. You'll need to find what COAL and load / bullet/boolit weight and design shoots best in your rifle.

Good hunting / shooting,