PDA

View Full Version : old shell holders

Don 3
12-04-2012, 06:12 PM
I just got a load of old reloading stuff and in there is a bunch of Lyman J shell holders and Herters shell holders. Does anyone use these and if so whats a fair price? Also is there a size chart some where? I also got some old Lyman dies I think for the 310 tool.

Thanks for looking,

Don

alrighty
12-04-2012, 06:18 PM
The J shell holders are still in demand.I have paid as much as $12.00 each and as little as $5.00 each if buying a quantity.I have seen several individual ones listed on ebay for as much as $15.00 but not sure if they are selling.The Herters are desired as well but I have never bought them , I like most changed it over to the RCBS style.I actually think they bring more but maybe someone else will chime in.If you decide to sell your J series please drop me a P.M. Nice find.

Reg
12-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Some of the Herters like the # 1 or #6 are very common and quite often sell for only 4 or 5 dollars but some of the more odd ball can often bring 18 to 20 dollars each. Also there are 2 kinds of Herters shell holders. The more common is held in with two set screws on the ram but there are some that thread in and they often will bring a bit more. They are the early ones ( threaded ) and not only fit the Herters press's but also some marked Krupp and R. F. Wells.
Nice find, put them out there.

Don 3
12-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks for info guys!!! ALRIGHTY will PM with info and pictures tomorrow. REG I have two kinds of Herters, the ones with the set screw and some that screw in but look different then some I've seen, I post some photos latter.

Again, Thanks for the info

1hole
12-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Sellers set a price but buyers establish the market value. Put your old reloading stuff on eBay, most used stuff goes for 2-3 times what I think it's worth and a lot of new stuff goes for more than retail! (That's really good for the sellers.)

Pressman
12-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Herter's threaded shellholders will work on the ECHO press, not a perfect match but they will get the job done.
The ones with the long threaded shank are for a Herter's press. The short threaded shank are for the Wells/MSS/Bystrom presses. These give the best fit if using them on an ECHO press.

Ken

alrighty
12-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Sellers set a price but buyers establish the market value. Put your old reloading stuff on eBay, most used stuff goes for 2-3 times what I think it's worth and a lot of new stuff goes for more than retail! (That's really good for the sellers.)
I agree eBay usually brings the most bucks.There are a few exceptions when I have seen the S&S section here bring top dollar.A good example is I had an old Lyman spar-t turret press.I bought it at a gunshow , thinking it would be neat to set up for some calibers.I tried it once and hated it , it felt rough and cheap to me.I hated to sell it on here , I put it on eBay at auction.It brought $55.00 and I was happy to get most of my money back.I have seen one sell on here recently for 75.00 IIRC and another offered for even more.So you never know what to expect but I do agree that a quick search on eBay will give you an idea at least of what an item is worth.

Don 3
12-05-2012, 04:33 PM
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac227/don3_photos/DSC06297.jpg

These arte the two type of Herters shell holders, I have 3 of the screw in and 5 of the others. could you tell me the press they fit and if anyone is in need of them.
Thanks, Don

Pressman
12-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Don I will need the numbers stamped on the Herter's shellholders to tell you what they fit. They are for the most commonly used Herter's presses ie: Model 3, 81, 234 and some others.
Your other shellholder is not of Herter's make but looks like an RCBS. Never the less it fits all the H-type presses along with the Hollywoods. There about a dozen different makers of these shellholders and all use a different numbering system. Some are marked by brand and many are not.

Ken

Don 3
12-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Ken, the screw in type are #1, #6 and no # on the other one, they are in Herters boxs' with some info on the box someone printed on them.

The other shell holders are #1, #2,#3, #6, #22 These are also in Herters boxs'

Pavogrande
12-06-2012, 02:41 AM
I can't tell you about the stud type -- ch - echo - etc
but the herters are:
#1 = 30/06 base
#2 = 30/30 base
#3 = 30/40
#6 = 38spl base
#22 = 44spl base
The threaded herter shellholder sort of like a pipe plug with a case slot --
The shellholders have the same upper diameter as the set screw style but the bottom portion is threaded -
I don't recall the thread but may have been 1/2" straight pipe thread.

Reg
12-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Something to think about. Yes, you can sometimes get quite a price out of things on ebay but--- by the time they get through with you on fees and other nonsense such as you must go through paypal to accept payment ( yes, there are ways around it but by the time they get through with you on that one -----) plus now they have so many stupid rules and regulations you can have the best of intentions and they still make you feel like a crook. I now try to stay away from them as far as selling goes. Buying is OK. What I do is get a good idea of what things are selling for on ebay then knock of 20 to 25 percent and sell it here. You actually wind up with about as much in the long run, the guys here get a break and it is greatly appreciated believe me and to me, best of all, ebay doesn't get their rediculas fees and you do not have to put up with their ****.

Don 3
12-06-2012, 05:53 AM
THanks for the info PAVOGRANDE, will help in listing them.
REG, No interest in going to ebay, would rather sell here for less, feel like I'm selling to someone who needs them and some one I'll be dealing with again. I will post these on here after I come up with a fair price, if someone wants to make a offer there more then welcome to. The Lyman are sold to Alrighty!

Pavogrande
12-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Something else to consider--
An adapter to use rcbs button type holder is/was about $12-15.
I converted my #3 press years ago after herter went out of business. Actually I made my adapter before commercial ones were available.
Herter holders will also fit the lachmiller press and can be modified to fit the lachmiller bench priming tool.

atr
12-06-2012, 07:55 AM
+1 for Pavogrande
the RCBS converter works great

dragonrider
12-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Would be interested in any of the Lyman J-type shell holders.

alrighty
12-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Would be interested in any of the Lyman J-type shell holders.
I bought all Don 3 had.I am going to have some duplicates that I do not need.Please send me a p.m. with the numbers you are needing I will check and see if I have an extra.

Pressman
12-08-2012, 08:00 AM
There was some mis-understanding as to what a screw in Herter's shellholder is. Left is a Herter's, right is a RF Wells.

Reg
12-08-2012, 11:56 AM
There was some mis-understanding as to what a screw in Herter's shellholder is. Left is a Herter's, right is a RF Wells.

Is the thread pitch the same ? Wonder if they would interchange ?
Not counting length of thread, of course.

:-?

Pressman
12-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Yes they interchange. The longer Herter's will affect ram travel on the Wells. Presses that use these shellholders do not prime in the usual way. The shellholder is threaded into the die station and a short, CH type primer punch is threaded into the ram. What you have is the first ram prime. The idea actually works quite well.
The internal thread, that threads onto the ram, is the same as ECHO allowing these shellholders to be used on an ECHO press.
Ken

dwtbay
05-08-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm late to this topic but I was wondering if you or anyone else has an extra #17 J-Type shell holder.
I've been told that this is the number for a 9MM shell.
thanks