PDA

View Full Version : Video 4/12 BFR 500 S&W Mag

Gibson
12-04-2012, 06:05 PM
465 grains Lee 50/50
1700 fps

Andy jerked camera on first shot, even with double ear protection :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeWIEYw7Hso&list=UU6-3g6Pu1aLVt5GtxsMSs9Q&index=1&feature=plcp

Gibson
12-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Jeez. . keep your tongue in your mouth:shock:

Dennis Eugene
12-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Nice, saw some of your other videos that you lead me to. Enjoying them all. Must admit though you'ed be hard pressed to get a steady hold wearing them short pants up here.:bigsmyl2: Dennis

Gibson
12-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Much obliged, Dennis! I enjoy watching yours as well. I got to start working on my catching the brass technique. That's got me beat all to heck.

Kind word goes a long way.

I'd break out the long underwear if I up there. :)

tek4260
12-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Jeez. . keep your tongue in your mouth:shock:

Your not supposed to video tape the secret to shooting big boomers well!! :)

Like I said on RF, it doesn't look "that" bad. At least not bad enough to split your scalp with the sight.

Gibson
12-05-2012, 12:00 AM
Love that gun like a June mornin'

Gibson
12-05-2012, 07:03 AM
Your not supposed to video tape the secret to shooting big boomers well!! :)

Like I said on RF, it doesn't look "that" bad. At least not bad enough to split your scalp with the sight.

I agree. A 465 grain at 1700 fps. is not bad at all and very accurate. Neither is 600 at 1500+

In the end, Jim is right. It's really about hitting what you draw a bead on.

Dennis:

I hope to get up there someday. Soapy Smith territory :) Hope to see some more vids from you soon.

44man
12-05-2012, 11:17 AM
I like it! So much fun to shoot the big ones.

bigboredad
12-05-2012, 03:14 PM
cool video anyone that hasn't tried a true big bore just dosen't seem to understand the appeal. I really dig your redneck rest makes it so much quicker to get a nice cool refreshment when your done[smilie=s: I'm gonna have to get one of those. Lets see Gibson long underwear. Does that mean you'd wear socks[smilie=s:

Gibson
12-05-2012, 05:19 PM
44man and bbd:

Thanks, boys! Glad you enjoyed the vid.

Yeah it's a half fridge. We poh! I can't even afford socks or long pants! My son was barefoot. ;) BTW: that is basically my front yard.

I store targets, athletic tape, a little CaCO3, and etc. in that thing. I do have three 50 lb sandbags in front of it but I don't need sandbags, really.

Send me some socks bbd, and some of those 'long-legged britches'. Charity covereth a multitude of sins. Now send them! :)

bigboredad
12-05-2012, 05:22 PM
44man and bbd:

Thanks, boys! Glad you enjoyed the vid.

Yeah it's a half fridge. We poh! I can't even afford socks or long pants! My son was barefoot. ;) BTW: that is basically my front yard.

I store targets, athletic tape, a little CaCO3, and etc. in that thing. I do have three 50 lb sandbags in front of it but I don't need sandbags, really.

Send me some socks bbd, and some of those 'long-legged britches'. Charity covereth a multitude of sins. Now send them! :)
:bigsmyl2: I'll see if I can find some socks that don't have holes in them[smilie=s:

Dennis Eugene
12-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Socks with out holes? How will you ever get your feet in them? Dennis

44man
12-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Socks with out holes? How will you ever get your feet in them? Dennis
Ask my wife! [smilie=s:

Gibson
12-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Dennis:

'Listen' to this. True story.

Back years ago, a friend and I went to Tuscaloosa, Alabama to a powerlifting meet. We stayed with a buddy of mine, locally. My traveling buddy and I were, let's just, stroke candidates. Both well over 300 lbs, and neither of us was tall; at about 1 am I glimpsed my traveling partner walking down the hall. He says, "Gibson are you hot?" I said "roasting". He said "I told the guy we needed to crank the A/C." An hour later I see him going back down the hall. Own his way back by, I asked if all was okay. He said, "yeah, I just threw the SOB a twenty, and turned thermostat all the way down". LOL!

I got up early, nervous. Walked by the owners room, guy had two winter blankets and a comforter on him and was slightly shimmering in his sleep!. Looked at the thermostat and it was bottomed out. Checked on my buddy and he had a sheet half way over him and was sleeping like a baby.

Can't take it like I used to. I generally turn my A/C off in early February, now. :) But Alaska cold is a bit different than Kentucky cold :)

[Edit:Sidetracked my own thread, sad.]

MT Chambers
12-05-2012, 10:36 PM
While I much prefer Freedom Arms revolvers, that is a nice video, makes me wish I was at home and could shoot my Casull, when I shoot from that position (sitting) I like to support the barrel for accuracy.

Gibson
12-06-2012, 02:13 AM
I much prefer big bores, that's why I went with a BFR in 500 S&W Mag as the action and cylinder can handle the loads I mentioned. No interest in a 454, whatsoever. Have thought about a Maximum or an Alaskan but it gets expensive taking my son back and forth to St. Judes. . . bought myself a C&B for Christmas so I'm done buying for a while.

The clip was just for the camera. However, I do not use sand bags even though they are ~ 24 inches away. No need/want for them. Accuracy suits me, fine. I have posted pictures of plates here, too lazy to now. Indeed, it's a good idea to use support for originally testing a new loading. . .

44man
12-06-2012, 09:23 AM
My BFR .475 drives me nuts. I always seem to hit higher on deer with it. I do all work for loads from bags and can hit a bottle of water off hand at 100 yards but when hunting I must not hold as tight. Looks like I need two sight settings.
Now the .500 JRH has hit exact whether from bags or off hand, can't explain that. The .475 seems to have more barrel rise and torque.
Gibson, shoot the big BFR from bags and then off hand for me and see if there is a difference in POI. Just for interest of course.