View Full Version : Lead alloy ?

jumbeaux
12-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Have access (maybe) to 2 different lead types.......first is lead tape used to wrap electrical cable connections.....second is lead utilized as a "shield" layer over copper cable that is then wrapped with monel.....the tape is not sticky and the lead seems to be very mallable/soft.....looking at casting round balls for muzzleloaders and for use in 38 Special and 45 Colt.....appreciate any information....

rick

Cmemiss
12-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Just a guess but I would say it will work well for muzzleloading, but might need a little hardner for the .38 and slightly less hardener for the .45 colt. I would use the same alloy for .38 spl. and .45 acp. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will have more to say on the subject.

S&W-629
12-04-2012, 08:35 PM
It will work grate for the smoke poll i use pure lead for mine and some times WW when i dont want to use up all my pure lead

Lizard333
12-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Some of the really old cables used to rap the conductors in lead sheets. All of the stuff I have found hase been pure lead. BHN of 5 as tested with my Cabin Tree tester. This stuff should work great for your muzzle loading as it doesn't get any softer.