PDA

View Full Version : After two years, my bass boat is finally restored!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Picked up an aluminum Bass Tracker V17 back in 2010. At that time, it was in rough shape and was basically a hull and a motor with a badly worn trailer. Took my time, saved a buncha money, sold stuff and it's finally finished. Here's a couple pics:

Kept a running history of the restoration on an aluminum boat forum. Here's a link to what kept me busy during the off shooting season, final pics are on page 14:

http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15343

Please let me know what you think. Motor is going on tomorrow and shake down cruise within a week.

alrighty
12-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Very nice work and a job well done.Thanks for sharing.

fishnbob
12-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Congratulations on a helluva job. I just went back through all the pictures and got caught up. I must say that you have more nerve than I, not to mention a lot more handy and patient. I hope it runs and serves you well. I pulled a wrecked aluminum boat out of the woods and rebuilt it about 23 years ago and I haven't gotten over it yet!LOL!! Good luck, let us know how it does.

legend
12-04-2012, 08:03 PM
looks new ! nice job. i might just tackle mine now that i can see how its done.

Awsar
12-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Wow good job now see how many fish like it.:)

Just Duke
12-05-2012, 02:32 AM
Well done sir. Sweat Equity :)

tomme boy
12-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Looks good. Did you put a new water pump in the motor? After sitting for a couple years, they will take a set and will not work very well. Spend another 40 bucks and save yourself a motor. It more than likely has never been changed anyway.

RP
12-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Nice job I have a few boats they always need some kind of care so its a never ending project. As far as the fish the guys at the coast that go off shore go as far as painting fish on the bottom of their boats that look like bait fish they say it helps lol. I think its BS but what the heck do you have to lose. Enjoy the time on the water its better then a good day at work

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Looks good. Did you put a new water pump in the motor? After sitting for a couple years, they will take a set and will not work very well. Spend another 40 bucks and save yourself a motor. It more than likely has never been changed anyway.

I put a new water pump, rebuilt the carbs with complete carb kits, replaced all the ignition coils with new and put both a gasoline trash filter and a alcohol/water filter on it to protect the motor from the trash gas of today.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Well done sir. Sweat Equity :)

Thank you and I think so. I have the original owner's receipts paperwork and that boat sold new in 1986 for about $9870.00 and some change. A new boat like it, near as I can tell, runs around $20,000.00 for about the same size/performance. I figure this restored boat is worth more than what I put into it, as functionally it's like new and runs like new, so it should be worth at least $5K. I don't have that much total put into it, excepting the sweat, but I didn't go cheap on anything that mattered, using stainless steel hard ware and premium electronic devices, so it should last until I'm too old to fish.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Thank you all for the positive posts. Makes me feel like the work was worth it.

PS Paul
12-06-2012, 12:01 AM
So NOW we know what yer doin' with all the money from the great stuff you've been sellin'!! Good work, Dave. I too fish A LOT and a little know fact is we have WORLD CLASS bass fishin' out here in the great NW. Largemouth and smallmouth. Trouble is, I have to split my precious off-time between shootin' AND fishin'. Man, what a life!

tomme boy
12-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Actually, the gas today is way better than years past. The main problem is the ethanol is a very good solvent. So if there is any build up in the tank, lines, carb, or whatever, it will loosen that up and send it threw the carb. Here in Iowa we have been using it since about 77. We went through what everyone else has been going through for the last few years. As long as you got a good water separator on it, it should be OK. But if you can, find and run the non ethanol gas as much as you can. It will give you more power and better fuel economy.

That plastic wood stuff, how slippery is it when wet. I about killed myself one time jumping out of my boat during a rain storm onto the public dock. It was made with that plastic stuff. That was around 2000 or so. I'm sure they have improved it by now. I would check it in the driveway though before you get out on the water and fall in.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Actually, the gas today is way better than years past. The main problem is the ethanol is a very good solvent.That increases the price of the gasoline and draws water into the gasoline tank, without adding any power to the combustion stroke and while decreasing gas mileage. Dunno how one could call that way better than pure gasoline that costs less to blend, has a more powerful combustion stroke, thereby burning more efficiently and increasing mileage per gallon.

So if there is any build up in the tank, lines, carb, or whatever, it will loosen that up and send it threw the carb. Hard to do that in a new system like mine. What the methanol will do is attract water and dissolve rubber gasketing in my carbs.

Here in Iowa we have been using it since about 77. We went through what everyone else has been going through for the last few years. As long as you got a good water separator on it, it should be OK. But if you can, find and run the non ethanol gas as much as you can. It will give you more power and better fuel economy. I have a water separator filter installed already, but there is pure gasoline sold down near the lake, so my plan is to only purchase that by the six gallon tank and try to use it up each trip, since one can never guarantee the fuel one buys is pure from anyone these days.

That plastic wood stuff, how slippery is it when wet. I about killed myself one time jumping out of my boat during a rain storm onto the public dock. It was made with that plastic stuff. That was around 2000 or so. I'm sure they have improved it by now. I would check it in the driveway though before you get out on the water and fall in.Already did, this stuff is fine, but it doesn't have the hard plastic coating most of the stuff does.

In time, if I can find a good sized board, I'm going to replace the plastic wood with teak, because it looks better and is lighter, but it's not commonly available in this area, so I have to be patient.

tomme boy
12-06-2012, 02:11 PM
What I meant by cleaner is it burns cleaner with the detergents that are added. Your probably never going to get water in your gas from the ethanol. If you do, you got it from a gas station that had a leaking tank. Or they added a little water to it to make more $. I have seen this happen in many towns that are owned by lets say NON Americans. I am not totally defending it, but it has its place. I try not to run it myself. In the winter I do as it is the same as everyone that adds HEET to their gas. I don't know of anyone that has had problems with it for many many years here. If you rebuilt your carbs, you have all the new seals that are unaffected by it so that is not a problem either. Good luck on your endeavors.

Artful
12-07-2012, 12:07 AM
In time, if I can find a good sized board, I'm going to replace the plastic wood with teak, because it looks better and is lighter, but it's not commonly available in this area, so I have to be patient.

Dave, check out local ACE hardware and see if they get their stuff in palletized - my friend worked at ace and got several teak pallets as well as other exotic woods.

Chicken Thief
12-08-2012, 01:05 PM
You must be a northner, no glitter paint or beer cooler :redneck:

jburris2001
12-12-2012, 11:55 PM
i just hope mine turns out that good when im done