PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good price for pure lead?

MSG
12-04-2012, 12:53 PM
I'm considering buying about 300 lbs of lead for $200 is this a good price. I haven't seen the lead yet but I'm told that is is pure lead in large blocks that weigh 30-40 lbs. What do you think? Is .67 cents a lb a good price? I have a few buckets of wheel weights that I need to smelt down and I would mix some of those ingots with the pure lead when I get around to casting do you think I would need to add anything else? I'm still new to the whole casting/smelting thing.

Hardcast416taylor
12-04-2012, 01:42 PM
If you KNOW this is PURE lead and it is in ingot form and not sheets with drywall tape and plaster attached to it. YES!! I would grab all of it in a heartbeat for .67 cents a lb.! Pure lead for under a dollar a lb. is a decent find and purchase. Kinda sounds like this may be shielding ingots from a lab or radiation treatment clinic.Robert

Fathersalt
12-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Sounds like a good investment to me. Nice find MSG [smilie=w:

Defcon-One
12-04-2012, 03:19 PM
YES, I would buy it, too!

Congratulations, you are now an Associate Scrounger!

slide
12-04-2012, 03:40 PM
You better jump on it before someone else does.

S&W-629
12-04-2012, 08:44 PM
yes that is a vary sweet deal

badbob454
12-04-2012, 09:44 PM
hello yeah ! great price, in ingot or block form i pay 60 c per pound for dirty lead and have to melt dross and pour , its a great deal

cbrick
12-04-2012, 10:00 PM
If it is in fact pure lead (kinda sounds like it is) buy all you can afford even if you can't use pure. Front stuffers do and they will suddenly become your new best friends. It can be sold by the pound for decent profit. How much of it is there?

Rick

a.squibload
12-05-2012, 04:42 AM
No! Don't do it!

Uh, where did you say it is?;)

MSG
12-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Ok guys sounds like its a decent deal. I'll let you know how it work out and get some pictures up if I get it.

Lizard333
12-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Look at rotometals and see what they are charging for pure lead. Then account for shipping. Get all you can. Even if you don't have a need for pure lead. You can trade guys in the swappin and selling section for COWW's or other stuff. I use the stuff for cores for my swaged bullets and ocasionally will offer up smelted, fluxed and cleaned ingots of lead for known pure lead. Very good find!!

472x1B/A
12-06-2012, 10:48 PM
In my case and my experience, you should $$$$ permitting buy this lead. If you can in your spare time recast into smaller ingots and then sit on it till prices go up. There will be someone that will need/want this very desireable comodity later down the road, someday.

The last coww's I bought, I paid $50.00 for 2-5gal buckets. This was from a private indivual. The time befor this, I paid $100.00 each for 2-5gal buckets, but they were semi truck tire weights, no zinc. ( real big babys too)( drool-drool )

MSG
12-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Supposed to go pick up the lead on Monday. The guy said it was from a elevator counter weight system. I had some free time this morning and was able to buy three 5 gallon buckets full of truck weights for $30 each. The best part was that one of the guys that worked at the shop helped me fill each bucket by hand and we sorted them as we went and so I'm sure that 99% of what is in each bucket is all lead weights. Talk about some huge weights, these suckers are big. The buckets are really heavy although I haven't weighed them yet but with not a lot of clips and no trash or zinc I'm sure that these will yield a good bit of lead.