PDA

View Full Version : 500 Maximum article....

Lee Martin
12-04-2012, 12:31 PM
I just finished this article and thought some of you may be interested:

http://www.singleactions.com/500Maximum.html

-Lee
www.singleactions.com
"Building carpal tunnel one round at a time"

I'll Make Mine
12-04-2012, 11:24 PM
One word: Yike!

Michael J. Spangler
12-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Awesome!!
I need a bigger revolver

Lloyd Smale
12-05-2012, 06:40 AM
great article lee. I agree totaly with the bullet weight thing. I dont shoot many over 500 grain in my 500 (short) but mostly fool with bullets from 450-500. Ive found it kind of a sweet spot for the 50s. I dont know if i agree on the recoil thing though. My buddys about recoil proof and he does real well with his max linebaughs but even though i consider myself a pretty seasoned big bore shooter the standard 475 and 500s with max loads are about all i want or can handle. Ive shot the max guns some and can wrestle out a decent group but any more then a few cylinders of max loads and i find myself developing a flinch. Best use for them for me is shooting a couple cylinders through one then sitting down with my short 500 or 475. recoil seems so mild after shooting a max that i find i can really consentrate on shooting them. Personaly i feel that anyone that can REALLY shoot a 44 mag with heavy loads can work up to a 500 (short) but its a rareity to find someone who can really master a max. I personaly only know a couple that have done it. Another big stubbling block for me has been the price. Its great you can build your own but not many of us can and the entry price into one of them can be double what a 500 short costs. Ive had the oportunity to buy a few of them and passed. I just couldnt see spending 3k plus for a gun that i would have to shoot at the same level as my existing guns and i guess i feel im to old to want to spend the time needed (and it takes some time) to master an even bigger gun when in fact i rarely hunt anything anymore that a good 44 wont take care of. Great article by the way. You should consider writing a book on big bore guns and what it takes to put one together!!!!

Whiterabbit
12-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Cool. I didn't know the max was a .510.

I still want a 500L though. For me? Enough. :)

44man
12-05-2012, 11:10 AM
I just finished this article and thought some of you may be interested:

http://www.singleactions.com/500Maximum.html

-Lee
www.singleactions.com
"Building carpal tunnel one round at a time"
Hi Lee, when are you coming out to shoot again?
Good article on the .500 Max.
I do see the Bisley does a job on you and you see why I hate the thing, Jacks is better but I never shot Whitworth's.
So sad to lose a friend over a primer or a grip style, will you talk to him, I want both of you back. Always welcome.

nhrifle
12-22-2012, 02:44 PM
JTcustomknives made that 700 *** and a single shot rifle to go with it. Looks awesome! Vid is on youtube. I vote we make a pistol for THAT sucker!!

blademasterii
12-22-2012, 02:53 PM
I already asked him about the pistol.. He said he could just take the stock off and let me try it that way. :D

nhrifle
12-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Ya know, I do like my hand cannons but that might be a whisker too much.

John Ross
12-30-2012, 07:19 AM
Just read your well-researched article and have only one comment: In your discussion of powders, I see no mention of 4759. I believe this powder might become one of your favorites in the Max if you tested it as extensively as the others. I believe it is happiest at the pressure levels of the .500 Max, doesn't have the ignition issues of H110/296, or the horrendous flame temperature of LilGun.

Caveat: My personal experience with the .500 Max is limited to two cylinders shot from a former student's Linebaugh-built gun. Beautiful piece, but I've never liked the feel of any SA grip in my hand, especially under heavy recoil. Would that it were otherwise...