PDA

View Full Version : The End of the 480?

jim4065
06-22-2007, 07:28 PM
Ruger doesn't list 'em on the web site anymore and Taurus is running a "Special Low Price" if you can believe the dealers on GunBroker. Looks like I'd better buy a revolver pretty quick, not to mention 1000 more cases or so.

It reminds me of the 350 Remington Magnum. Vilified by the public and the press, but try to find a 600 Carbine in 350 now. Wish I'd bought a stainless Single Six BirdsHead in 32 H&R last summer - a day late and a dollar short, of course. It seems like the unpopular guns are the ones which appreciate quickly; don't know why, unless it's because some of us always want something "different". An expensive curse. :roll:

bushka
06-23-2007, 10:08 AM
the 480 guns will be a good platform for the 500smith.
that pretty much killed it right there.shoulda been 500 ruger,and things would have been different commercially,altho peeps still wanna smithy.
at least you can shoot 45lc up hot in a casull if the brass disappears.
480 ruger IMHO? why not a 475 linebaugh? it had been done already,not to mention the differences in killing power between casull and others up to 50sw is moot paper ballistics,exc killing results can be had by all with no percievable dif.
I`ll take the casull every time.

wiljen
06-23-2007, 03:17 PM
I'll take mine as a 45-70. :) I kinda take all the recent press about the 454, 460,480,500 with a grain of salt. None of those rounds do anything that could not be done by the .45-70 in an encore and most of them except for the hottest loads can be duplicated by the .444 or 45-70 in a contender. For that matter, the .445 could be had for years before any of this new crop of magnums came out and did most of what the newer rounds do quite well in a six shooter. We all have our biases I guess, I just remember looking at the first 454 I ever saw at a silhouette match and thinking to myself I could buy 4 of my Dan Wesson for the price of that thing.

Dale53
06-24-2007, 01:05 AM
>>>just remember looking at the first 454 I ever saw at a silhouette match and thinking to myself I could buy 4 or my Dan Wesson for the price of that thing.<<<

Amen! However, I just recently bought a near new Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull for a very nice price. Feller apparently shot it a couple of times and decided that was about all the fun he could stand.

At any rate, before the summer is over, I will have "wrung it out":mrgreen:. It IS kind of ridiculous for me to even bother as all I really need for big game around here ("big" meaning white tail deer) is one of my .44 mags. However, my reason is academic. I NEED to experience it at length so I can speak with authority.[smilie=1:

Dale53

hivoltfl
06-24-2007, 09:09 AM
I have been contemplating a T/C barrel in 45/70, wiljen may have pushed me over the edge, sorry about slipping off topic, but I have found the best way to deal with temptation in these matters is to succumb.

Rick

omgb
06-24-2007, 09:43 AM
I just last week shot a 500 S&W in of course, a S&W. For the life of me, I don't see how this gun is any thing other than hype. It hurts like the devil to shoot it more than 4 or 5 times. The noise and muzzle blast is stupidly excessive and it doesn't do anything that a nice short carbine wouldn't do better. I don't know, maybe I'm getting old but this seems like an exercise in "mine's bigger than yours" just for the sake of bragging rights.

bushka
06-24-2007, 12:04 PM
For revolvers the 454 casull was the improvement end all,like the 300winmag on the 30/06,that is if you wanted 45`s.even still,the casull has plenty of power if you wish to utilize it.
All these others are machismo,and the want for the obscure,because most many shooters cannot handle even 45acp well,so for practical purposes the 454 is still king.
now lets talk 50 bowen special,I can like the idea of a thumb of lead doin` 800fps.
slap them bowlin pins real nice even at 600 fps.

45r
06-25-2007, 12:48 AM
ruger should have brought it out in a 5 shot bisley flattop with(optional) Bowen rear sight and fancy grips.might have turned my attention away from my F/A 454 casull.Would like to try a bigger bore but not in some heavy double action with a trigger that needs work.I still can't believe they havn't brought out a flattop bisley for people who want their revolver to look as good as it shoots.

lovedogs
06-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Couple years ago a fella was tearing up sod at the shooting range with his new Ruger 7 1/2 in. .480. He complained about the kick and stated he just couldn't shoot it. It had a nice 2X Leupold on it, too. I'd not shot one yet and really wanted to try it. He was glad to hand it to me. Wow! I loved it. At 50 yds. I stuck five rounds in the same hole with it. It didn't kick bad at all, about like my .44's. If I'd had the dough I'd have tried to buy it from him. I loved it.

It's been said that the .480 won't do anything that a heavy bullet won't do in a .44. I don't agree. That extra diameter has to count for something! And if you really want to kick butt you can really do a bang-up job with a 400 grainer.

I really don't need any more than my .44's and can't afford a Super Redhawk anyway, but if I could see my way to doing it I'd love to have a .480 just like the one that fella had. Too bad it's failing in the market place 'cuz it's a good one.

Fumbler
06-25-2007, 10:17 PM
I don't know, maybe I'm getting old but this seems like an exercise in "mine's bigger than yours" just for the sake of bragging rights.

I personally think the "mine's bigger than yours" mentality is exactly why the 500 and 460 S&W outsell the 480.
The 480 doesn't offer anything outrageous. It's just a fat heavy bullet at moderate velocities. Perfect for killing anything.
It's for the shooter that understands killing power isn't all about speed.
apparently not enough shooters understand this to keep the cartridge afloat.

now lets talk 50 bowen special,I can like the idea of a thumb of lead doin` 800fps.
I've reloaded 405gr 480 Ruger bullets at about 900 fps.
Extremely fun to shoot. Comfortable with a big thump. Do 454 bullets come in a 400gr flavor?