PDA

View Full Version : GPR Wedges Don't fit

Ickisrulz
12-03-2012, 11:43 PM
I have a new GPR. I tried getting it together, but found neither wedge pin fits. The front almost goes all the way through. The rear...not even close. I checked out the owner's manual, but when I took off both escutcheons I found the wedge hits on the wood no matter if the curve on the wedge is up or down (when the barrel is installed).

Any easy fixes? I'll call Lyman in the morning.

fouronesix
12-04-2012, 12:01 AM
If it is a "factory" rifle it should fit. Very odd. Even if Lyman pays for shipping and fixing- it's going to be a hassle to do that.

First, I'd try straightening the wedge- just lightly peen on an anvil or wood block. The idea is to get a straight wedge to fit through first then snug up with a very slight bend.

I'd try a small flat needle file that will fit through the slots, and with the escutcheons in place, carefully relieve a little at a time until the wedge fits through. Also, if the wedges are rough cast you could clean them up a little with a file and some 400 grit. The process of wedge fitting is well known (and at times tedious) to those who build MLs that have wedges.

Jim
12-04-2012, 12:44 AM
I had the same problem and called Lyman. They told me there is a front and rear wedge. After playing with fit, I finally figured out whick one goes where. I marked them accordingly. I woulda' thought it didn't matter.

Ickisrulz
12-04-2012, 01:05 AM
There is nothing in the instructions about a front and rear and honestly they look the same to me. I'd be interested to know what the difference is and which is which. But, I was able to get them in by bending them a little. I'm not sure if this is correct or if they will hold when fired, but I'll see eventually. Thanks.

fouronesix
12-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Whichever way they fit- they fit. Over time the fit may change as the wood shrinks and swells, etc. One way to keep track of which is which is to mark each one. For a two wedger, I usually put one small file mark on the upper edge of the front wedge and two file marks on the upper edge of the rear wedge. That way with a feel or a glance I can put them back in the right place and in the right orientation.

wgr
12-04-2012, 01:38 AM
yes there is a front and rear
. i do belive that one is just a bit longer. its the rear one on mine

Ickisrulz
12-04-2012, 10:37 AM
yes there is a front and rear
. i do belive that one is just a bit longer. its the rear one on mine

I see on Lyman's site that they list a "rear" and a "front" wedge. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to have a muzzle loader. Of course, instructions would have been nice too.

Jim
12-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Another thing I remember dealing with on my GPR was the 'take-up' between barrel and stock. I wound up putting a patch inside the stock under the front end to take up some slack. That made the front wedge fit tight.

Omnivore
12-04-2012, 05:24 PM
The instructions that came with my Lyman do talk about wedge fitting. In short; do whatever is necessary to achieve a good fit. It can mean bending either the wedge or the staple on the barrel, or filing. There's no magic involved. You should never need to shim anything.

Some of the originals had captured wedges (also known as keys). Cut a slot in the wedge, install a steel pin under the right hand side escutcheon. Assemble by slipping the pin through the slot in the key, place the pin in a depression you made under the escutcheon, then install escutcheon and screws. Now when you pull the key, it comes out far enough to remove the barrel, but never comes free of the stock. Nicely hand fit keys will be individuals, and should always be used in their original positions.

johnson1942
12-05-2012, 07:40 PM
i bought new longer ones from track of the wolf that were longer than originals, i didnt like the ones that come with the gun either.good accurate gun though once you tune it.