PDA

View Full Version : Is my luck changing?

lovedogs
06-22-2007, 05:31 PM
I've never had very good luck in gun trades, finding good deals, etc. It's been so bad so many times I've nearly quit messing with anything other than new stuff. But maybe it's changing.

Recently, a friend from far away came for a visit and brought me five bullet moulds. They hadn't been used in years and had gotten a bit of rust here and there. After soaking them in a good penetrating oil for a week I commenced rubbing gently with 0000 steel wool and carefully buffing with a Dremel tool. They cleaned up better than expected. Four were old Lyman's and one was a Ohaus. There were two odd .45 cal. pistol designs, a nice 220 gr. .30 cal., a 170 gr. .30 cal. and what appears to be an interesting light .30 cal. FN, about 115 gr.

I decided to keep the 170 gr. and the 115 gr. .30 cals. for a try in my .30-30 Contender and in case I ever have the good fortune to get a .30-30 rifle. A friend has a lot of odd old .45 pistols and a .30-40 Krag so I thought he could use the other three moulds. I showed them to him and he was delighted. I planned to just give them to him but he offered to buy them at $30 each. About that time I remembered I had been wanting a new lighter design for my .45-70 so I mentioned that to him. He agreed to buy the new Saeco mould I wanted in exchange for the three moulds. How could I turn that down?

Midway was out of the mould I wanted, the Saeco 350 gr. GC and backordered it until the end of July, or maybe into August. But with a call to Buffalo Arms I found one in stock. I cancelled at Midway and now a mould is on it's way from BACO. Somebody pinch me! I've never had anything work out this well.

Wayne Smith
06-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Does lightening ever strike twice?? Actually, my Dad was struck by lightening twice in his lifetime and survived both times. COPD and heart problems took him instead, but at 81 years.

Congratulations on the blessing. God is good.

lovedogs
06-25-2007, 06:37 PM
Seems your dad was extremely fortunate, Wayne. I had a younger brother struck by lightning. Only once did the trick. Killed him on the spot. He left a nice lady and a son behind. She was fortunate in one respect though. She was walking right beside him when it happened and it didn't touch her. But I think she'll be traumatized for life.

ron brooks
06-25-2007, 07:27 PM
I would imaine she would be traumatized for life, that would be a horrible thing to happen!!