PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs 35-200

Marc2
06-22-2007, 03:10 PM
I recently purchased the RCBS 35-200 mold for my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington I cast up several, sized to .358 with gas check. They wont chamber in my Marlin 336when seated to the crimp groove (too long). My question. Is it ok to seat it deeper or should I have the chamber lengthened? BTW im using the Lee die set with the universal expander and the factory crimp die.

Marc In VA

Blammer
06-22-2007, 03:25 PM
Find out HOW much deeper you need to seat the bullet, then go from there. If it's a LOT then you may want to consider the rifle work, if it's just a bit I'd seat the bullet deeper and not worry about it

357maximum
06-22-2007, 04:10 PM
What is the vintage of your 336?

I have never heard of a 336 in 35 that would not just devour this boolit, rcbs made this boolit to fit the 336 from day one of the design if my understandings are understood. My 53 simply dotes on them, and a few others who have newer 336's do also.

35remington
06-22-2007, 06:14 PM
The older rifles have a non-throat which necessitates slightly deeper seating but it's no big deal. Go ahead an' git 'er done. My 80's 336 needs to seat a little past the crimp groove and the gascheck protrudes very slightly below the neck but it hasn't been a detriment. The rifle shoots well.

The newer 336 .35's seem to have longer throats. I'm not so sure this has turned out to be a good thing.

Glen
06-22-2007, 08:08 PM
I've got 336s from 1950, 1958 and 1964 and they all handle the RCBS 35-200-GC without the slightest hitch. One possible explanation is that your forward driving band may not have gotten sized all the way down, and may be hanging up. What diameter is your forwrd driving band?

Nrut
06-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Marc...If you are just missing the crimp groove by a bit, trim your cases back....:)

26Charlie
06-22-2007, 09:37 PM
It isn't clear if you are describing a failure to feed from the magazine due to over-length cartridge (in which case you should seat a little deeper) or a failure to fully chamber due to the bullet sticking in the rifling or throat somewhere. If the nose of the bullet shows heavy engraving of rifling, the mould may be casting them too fat in the nose. If the front driving band shows marks indicating hanging up in the throat, it may not be getting sized down. If it is sized .358, then seat to cover half the top band and see what happens. If that doesn't do it, crimp over the full top band.
I am assuming you are crimping all rounds, and since you have the factory crimp die you can crimp anywhere you want.
It won't make any difference in accuracy where you crimp, and that way you avoid the hassle of case trimming or re-throating. I am also assuming that factory jacketed rounds work without a hitch.
This is a marvelous rifle and cartridge in fact, and you can get within reach of factory ballistics with a cast bullet in it.

Marc2
06-22-2007, 11:44 PM
"If the nose of the bullet shows heavy engraving of rifling, the mould may be casting them too fat in the nose."

Charlie,

Thats exactly whats happening. I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.

Thanks,

Marc

Lloyd Smale
06-23-2007, 06:47 AM
I use it in two marlin 35s and my win 356 and it feeds like butter.