PDA

View Full Version : New Plate & bullet release Lub.

smokemjoe
12-03-2012, 05:21 PM
In the last issue of the Fouling Shot by the late Ken Mollohan, He used Dexron ATF- Aut. Transmission Fluid under the mold plate when it started to gall and on the top of the block, It stop it and then some ran down into the cavitie and it didnt wrinklie the bullets, It made the bullets fall out of the mold better also. He also used it on the alignment pins.ATF is made to work under high temp. and makes the steel work free. Has anyone used this yet.Lets us know how it works Thanks for reading, Joe

Dan Cash
12-03-2012, 06:00 PM
I coat iron mould blocks with ATF for storage. I am here to tell you, if you don't get all that stuff off and out of the cavities before you cast, you will have wrinkles for the duration.

cbrick
12-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Joe, try it and let us know how it works.

Ok, don't. You will be the most un-happy boolit caster ever. Didn't see the article so can't comment on that but Ken Mollohan was a good writer, I read alot of his articles in Handloader.

Rick

smokemjoe
12-03-2012, 07:26 PM
I wish I could try it and if I could I would have done it already, Doc say no more casting and my wife is right behine him with this L. cancer, Different smells hurt to breath. Its cold here now if the wifes at the mall all today why the weather stops me, I dont dare to get a cold in my lungs. Thanks- Joe

MtGun44
12-03-2012, 11:39 PM
No matter how much fun casting is, you take care of yourself first.

Bill

NoZombies
12-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Ken was a great writer, and one heck of a guy. I considered him a friend and sorely miss him.

I will say that once in a while, he would have some result with something that I could not duplicate. ATF as a mold lube was one of them. It tends to creep, so using it as a plate lube, you're likely to get some in the cavities. when that happened to me, the mold acted just like one tends to with any type of oil in the cavities. I didn't bother with further experimentation.

Ben
12-04-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm sorry fellows, I can read about putting petroleum compounds in mold cavities until " the cows come home", but there is no way that I'll be doing that with my own personal casting routines.

Ben

rhbrink
12-04-2012, 11:30 AM
I tried it and it worked great. There was a thread a while back about using Kroil and that worked too! Now I didn't just pour the ATF all over the mold I brought it up to casting temperature and then using a q-tip just like Bull Plate wiped a bit on top of the mold and on the sprue plate and it worked very well maybe Bull Plate is a bit longer lasting. this mold was a old Lyman pistol mold that has one cavity that likes to hang up on one side after it gets good and hot. So when that happened I took the same q-tip and lightly wiped the offending cavity and kept on pouring. the first boolit out of the wiped cavity did not fill out completely but the next one did and continued to do so until they started sticking again so I did wiped the same cavity again and it went right back to dropping boolits perfectly.

RB

.30/30 Guy
12-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Let me quote Ken from his article:

“I got a wooden toothpick wet with DEXTRON AFT and partially wiped the unabsorbed liquid off on the cotton cloth. I used the damp toothpick to put a thin film of DEXTRON AFT ……… in the cavities to give them a VERY slightly wet surface. You must understand that there was no visible liquid on them, but the iron was visibly dampened.”

geargnasher
12-05-2012, 09:11 PM
I'd like to see some of the boolits cast from moulds with oil in the cavities. I would show some of mine, but I assure you they got remelted before they even cooled off.

Gear

dromia
12-06-2012, 04:15 AM
Look after yourself Joe.

dromia
12-06-2012, 04:17 AM
I tried it and it worked great. There was a thread a while back about using Kroil and that worked too! Now I didn't just pour the ATF all over the mold I brought it up to casting temperature and then using a q-tip just like Bull Plate wiped a bit on top of the mold and on the sprue plate and it worked very well maybe Bull Plate is a bit longer lasting. this mold was a old Lyman pistol mold that has one cavity that likes to hang up on one side after it gets good and hot. So when that happened I took the same q-tip and lightly wiped the offending cavity and kept on pouring. the first boolit out of the wiped cavity did not fill out completely but the next one did and continued to do so until they started sticking again so I did wiped the same cavity again and it went right back to dropping boolits perfectly.

RB

Personally I'd try and find out why they are sticking and fettle that rather than elastoplasting the problem with ATF.

Reg
12-06-2012, 04:56 AM
I think yours is the more correct approach.

:popcorn:

Personally I'd try and find out why they are sticking and fettle that rather than elastoplasting the problem with ATF.