PDA

View Full Version : Smelting shotgun shot

RG1911
12-03-2012, 04:24 PM
I have a fair amount of unknown size shot that I've picked up over time, and thought about smelting it. However, the shot is covered with graphite(?) which could do a pretty good job of insulating the shot from the heat, and also could really gum up the works.

If anyone does smelt shotgun shot, do you clean off the coating, first? If so, is there a preferred method? I have a large RCBS tumbler and thought that some shot plus some soap and water might work.

Thank you,
Richard

popper
12-03-2012, 04:29 PM
I just add it to my Lee pot. Not all will float to the top but it doesn't mix with the alloy. It can gum up the spout. If you smelt it, just clean off the poured ingots.

leadman
12-03-2012, 04:58 PM
I have melted unfired shot and reclaimed shot. The new shot is fairly easy to melt, especially if you are adding it to a pot of molten lead. Do not fill up your pot with just the shot as it takes forever for it to melt. You can start with just shot but just use maybe 1/2" in the pot to start. If added to a molten pot to just about cover half of the top in a single layer it is easy to work with. A large spoon is helpful to smash the hot shot against the edge of the pot. This allows the hot shot to be exposed to the melt and then it just melts like any other lead. If left on the surface rather than stirred in the graphite is very easy to skim off.
Reclaimed shot is similar but more smashing of the shot is needed to break the crust covering the lead.

RG1911
12-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Thank you. I'll add it to the wheel weights I've already smelted and that I'm planning to alloy into an approximation of Lyman #2.

Shouldn't be too bad; I have a stock pot I used for the WW, and a new burner is being delivered Friday.

Richard

Fathersalt
12-03-2012, 08:40 PM
I would sell the shot for money to buy WW's or type metal.

You can get $40/25lb of shot easy. Most would pay closer to $45 np.

472x1B/A
12-03-2012, 08:48 PM
leadman pretty much covered it. In my case I had to do a fair amount of 'mashing' to get most of the reclaimed shot to melt. After that some skimming and all was well.

rsrocket1
12-03-2012, 09:26 PM
I would sell the shot for money to buy WW's or type metal.

You can get $40/25lb of shot easy. Most would pay closer to $45 np.

Maybe for brand new shot. If you want reclaimed shot for $40/25#, I'll get you as much as you want because I get it at $22/bag ;)

I tried a couple of bags of reclaimed shot to stretch out my COWW/Lino ingots and it worked out quite well. I just added it by the tablespoon full until it melted, then scooped out the graphite as it built up. Don't let the graphite build up too much or else some of the shot will simply sit on top of the powder and not melt.