PDA

View Full Version : Star Air Pressure Lube Unit

astroskg
12-03-2012, 03:59 PM
is there a way to know when your lube reservoir is almost empty?

approx. how many rounds do you get per 1" stick of star lube , single groove, 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP,

i noticed there was a small hole at the bottom side of the air cylinder where it mounts to the top of the reservoir i can see the rod. is there some kind of marking on that rod that tells you when your getting to the bottom of your lube?

any one have pressure and temp setting for the Star Lube?

once you get the perfect settings does it work with all calibers you do or do you need to adjust for each caliber?

mktacop
12-03-2012, 04:19 PM
is there a way to know when your lube reservoir is almost empty?

approx. how many rounds do you get per 1" stick of star lube , single groove, 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP,
about 800-1000 depending on size and number of lube grooves

i noticed there was a small hole at the bottom side of the air cylinder where it mounts to the top of the reservoir i can see the rod. is there some kind of marking on that rod that tells you when your getting to the bottom of your lube? I bet you could make a mark to help you know when it was getting low

any one have pressure and temp setting for the Star Lube? Using Thompson's Bear Lube Heat, I'm running mine at 113degrees (PID controlled) and 50 psi

once you get the perfect settings does it work with all calibers you do or do you need to adjust for each caliber? I've found that my settings work for all calibers I size/lube (.32, .380, .38/.357, 9mm, .40/10mm, .45ACP, .44sp/.44Mag, .45Colt, .45-70)....I just have to adjust the punch on some bullets of the same caliber due to differences in the base to the lube groove measurement
Comments above in green

HATCH
12-03-2012, 04:29 PM
I use Magma Green lube (all the colors are suppose to be the same just the color is different)
For me my sweet spot is 115 degrees and 70 PSI
With no boolit in the die I can see lube just being pushed into the die. a Steady stream.
It isn't sticky at that temp.
I like magma lube because my shop isn't cooled in the summer and the lube is still hard on 100+ degree days..

For me yes the temp/pressure stays the same for all boolits.
I have found out that when the shop is 45 degrees that it takes a LONG time to get it up to 115 degrees. Tonight I am gonna go out and turn it on when I get home at 530 so it will be ready to size at 8.
It doesn't take 2.5 hrs to heat up but last night it did take almost 2 hours to get up to temp.

astroskg
12-03-2012, 04:49 PM
thanks guys filling in some of the blank places in my brain with new Data.
new data in old data out hopefully that old data is memories of the 70's Disco era.
will look into getting at least a digital temp probe so i can track temps..