Be careful out there hunters!

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20121203/NEWS/121209808

45bpcr
12-03-2012, 11:16 AM
I read that this morning, gave me a chuckle

45bpcr

1Shirt
12-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Not the smartest deer hunter in my opinion.
1Shirt!

Doc Highwall
12-03-2012, 11:57 AM
What happened to poking it with a stick or your gun barrel to make sure it is dead?

alrighty
12-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Not the smartest deer hunter in my opinion.
1Shirt!

That is my take on it as well, after reading this....
Gray said he walked up to the deer, patted it between its antlers and thanked it for giving its life.

frkelly74
12-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Getting Even

Crawdaddy
12-03-2012, 02:28 PM
That is the smallest deer I have ever seen.. I wouldve been embarrased to admit that a) I didnt make sure it had met its demise; b) I got my butt kicked by something so small!

Silvercreek Farmer
12-03-2012, 03:42 PM
I want to see the hole in his side! Also want to know where he hit the deer (fom 20 yards), a 257 Roberts is no slouch...

snuffy
12-03-2012, 05:39 PM
I think e should turn in his man-card!

km101
12-03-2012, 08:03 PM
It's all those meth labs in the woods! The deer was all meth'ed up! LOL

Seriously, this guy is no hunter, deer or otherwise. If he cant make a kill shot from 20 yds he should turn in his rifle. And then he walks up and grabs the deer before he knows it's dead! He should stay out of the woods! He is a textbook example of what Not to do.

Alan in Vermont
12-03-2012, 08:20 PM
The guy was interviewed on our local TV channel this evening. He's got a pretty good wound in his side but I didn't see any stitches, just a small pad taped over it. They might not stitch something like that so they can keep it cleaned out, deer antler probably makes a pretty dirty puncture wound.

runfiverun
12-03-2012, 08:43 PM
the comments below the picture sound just like the arguements on a gun board.
starts out as a non hunter comment bash and turns into a minimum caliber arguement.

x101airborne
12-04-2012, 11:27 AM
A guy I know did that in South Texas.
This is the same guy who takes 4 shells for his rifle and 6 bottles of whiskey to deer camp.
He is a dang good rifleman, but common sense escapes this guy.
He shoots a BIG buck at an extreme distance with a 25-06 in cactus and brush country dropping it where it stood.
Leaves his rifle in the blind and goes out to examine his kill.
Armed with a small pocket knife, leans down in front of the deer to bleed it.
The deer jumps up cutting the mans finger off when the blade closed on his hand.
He is stabbed twice with brow tines and the deer attempts to "wipe" the surrounding landscape with him to get him off the antlers.
He went missing till he was found 5 hours later after dark.
One amputated finger, one lost pocket knife, somewhere around 30 stitches and two and a half hours of thorn removal at the hospital was the final talley as I remember.
Some folks you just cant read.

Wayne Smith
12-04-2012, 11:32 AM
My Dad taught me to always poke a deer that you think is dead in the eye with the muzzle of a loaded gun. You will find out quickly if it is, in fact, dead, and be able to do something about it if it isn't.

Bullshop
12-04-2012, 11:58 AM
I was taught to always aproach any downed animal from the rear and to proceed with caution.

snuffy
12-04-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm sure that most here know that deer hooves can penetrate our bodies nearly anywhere they hit you. Dad told all of his boys that before our first hunt. Also, approach from the back not the feet.

I spined a doe one time, dad insisted we hog-tie her feet before we stuck her in the solar plexus to bleed her her out. The bullet did NOT enter the spine, only the shock of a .280 145 speer knocked out her CNS. All four legs were out of service. We didn't want to shoot her again.

Blammer
12-05-2012, 03:34 PM
yep, time to turn in his man card....

what an idiot.

starmac
12-05-2012, 04:15 PM
It actually happens pretty often. I remember reading about a guy that situated a deers head so that he could put his rifle across the antlers for a photo. The deer came to and left, rifle and all. lol

Frosty Boolit
12-06-2012, 09:58 PM
I was always taught that if you don't see the tongue hanging out then it isn't dead.

facetious
12-07-2012, 06:38 AM
He could allways burn the photo and say that he was hunting dangerous game. [smilie=1:

rtracy2001
12-08-2012, 01:53 AM
My Dad taught me to always poke a deer that you think is dead in the eye with the muzzle of a loaded gun. You will find out quickly if it is, in fact, dead, and be able to do something about it if it isn't.

Same here. A budy of mine told me about his first hunt years ago. Apparently his dad made a nice shot with the 30-30, then proceeded to instruct his son on that very technique.

Dad: "OK boy, whenever you approach downed game, make sure it is dead by poking it in the eye with the muzzle of the gun. They will plat dead sometimes, but nothing plays dead when it gets poked in the eye. This one is obviously dead, but I always do it just the same, like this. . . .HOLY S***! BANG!"

Son: "Is that why you always do it?"

Dad (a little shaky this time) "Yeah, that's why."

Doc Highwall
12-08-2012, 10:26 AM
And approach from behind. They always take off running forward, not backwards.

ElDorado
12-08-2012, 12:19 PM
It actually happens pretty often. I remember reading about a guy that situated a deers head so that he could put his rifle across the antlers for a photo. The deer came to and left, rifle and all. lol

That's too funny! The next guy to shoot that deer was one lucky hunter. I would have mounted the head and kept the rifle in the antlers.