PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a recipe for corning venison

Lloyd Smale
12-03-2012, 06:28 AM
I know i can go online and find corned beef recipes but was wondering if any of you ever did venison.

Moonie
12-03-2012, 02:58 PM
I haven't but would be interested in your results.

L Ross
12-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Yes we have, several times. Used Morton Tender Quick for the brine with a little brown sugar and pickling spices added. Used a pump syringe to get good penetration of whole venison hind quarters and let it brine for a few days submerged in a bag in the fridge. Then we would boil it in a large pot over an open fire at a rendezvous camp. Brought the left overs home and ground it with potatoes and onions and canned the corned venison hash. Just had some from 2009 last week yet.

Duke

mowarren
12-08-2012, 03:18 PM
not quite what you wanted but this looks good
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/02/venison-pastrami.html

Lloyd Smale
12-11-2012, 05:31 AM
that looks worth trying warren!

selmerfan
12-11-2012, 09:44 AM
I've got a good recipe as well if you'd like to try it. From Ruhlman's Charcuterie
The following is for a 5 lb piece of meat - I cut it in half for venison roasts and it was perfect
1 gal. water
2 c. kosher salt
1/2 c. sugar
1 ounce (5 tsp) pink salt
3 garlic cloves, crushed or minced
2 tbsp pickling spice
5 lbs beef brisket (works great with venison)

Combine brine ingredients in a pot large enough to hold the brisket comfortably with brine included. Bring to a simmer, stirring until salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temp, then refrigerate until completely cool.

Place meat in the brine, weight it down with a plate to keep it submerged. Refrigerate for 5-7 days.

Remove meat from brine and rinse thoroughly under cool running water.

Place brisket in a pot just large enough to hold it and add enough water to cover the meat. Add 2 tbsp more of pickling spice and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer gently for about 3 hours, or until the meat is fork-tender. Always keep enough water in to cover the meat, adding if necessary during cooking.

Remove the corned meat from the cooking liquid. Slice and serve warm, or cool, the wrap and refrigerate until you're ready to serve, or for up to a week. You can save the cooking liquid to moisten the veggies and meat when you reheat it.

Boyscout
12-15-2012, 05:58 PM
I have used a commerial mix in the past with pretty good results using the sirloin tip roast (front of rear leg). I used a marinating needle to get good penetration and kept the curing roast in a large plastic pitcher because of space. Over the course of the week I would re-inject. The corned venison is very dense compared to beef brisket but the flavor was very good.

Lloyd Smale
12-16-2012, 07:33 AM
selmer, what is pink salt? are you talking about something like quick cure?

Bodydoc447
12-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Pink Salt is another name for Prague powder #1. It is the sodium nitrite for curing.

Doc

selmerfan
12-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Bodydoc nailed it. It's colored pink to keep you from eating it - 1 tsp. of it straight up would kill you.

10 ga
12-19-2012, 04:22 PM
I use the mix from "Eldons". The regular corned beef mix has the pink salt and corning mix. Only difference is I boil about 2 tablespoons of pickling spice per 5# meat in couple cups water to season the brine mix. Comes out really nice. Just get the mix and follow the directions but use some of the pickling spice for added flavor. Makes some of the best "beans and "beef" " chowder/soup/stew you've ever had. Only used it on whitetail so an't comment on other meats. Best to all, "Merry Christmas" ! 10 ga

x lead dust