PDA

View Full Version : Corn-stick ingots

zxcvbob
12-03-2012, 04:17 AM
I've been using condiment cups for ingot molds for a couple of years. They are cheap and make a nice sized ingot (about 26 ounces.) The only problem is they are hard to safely add to a hot lead pot because there's nothing to hold onto -- I drop them in and the lead tries to splash on my fingers.

So I've been thinking about getting a Lodge cast iron corn bread stick pan to make ingots. You know the ones, they look like little ears of corn split in half lengthwise. They are long and thin, and I could ease them into the pot a lot easier without burning myself. But how much do the ingots weigh? If less than a pound, I don't want to mess with it; I'll find something else.

Roosters
12-03-2012, 07:43 AM
I also use the condiment cups. I use a big slotted spoon to add the ingots to the pot .

Here is a link for the corn stick muffin pan from Wal-Mart. They have free shipping from site to store.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Cast-Iron-Cornstick-Pan/6005458

Someone who uses them can probably tell you the weight, but I’d say they are over a pound.

Anyracoon
12-03-2012, 09:12 AM
This is what I found on EBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350639738690 with free shipping.

Sasquatch-1
12-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Just use a pair of adjustable plyers. Channal lock style will work best. I usually set them on the plunger and then melt them with a propane torch to speed up the process a bit. (I use an old Lee 10 lb bottom pour.)

Also if you insist on the corn bread pan they sell the full size at Cracker Barrel. I think they are around $15.00 to $20.00. But I was at the Premium outlet mall a while back and found some miniture ones. They are about 1/5th the size of the normal ones. Had to buy a couple but haven't been able to bring my self to use them yet.

The ingot in the picture is from the standard size cornbread pan found almost anywhere.

cbrick
12-03-2012, 11:33 AM
I have the corn cast iron pan but have used it very little. They do make kinda neat ingots but the problem is that they make ingots that are impossible to stack. If you have several hundred pounds of alloy in ingots you'll have ingots squirting out all over the shop.

If your looking for a larger ingot mold here's what I settled on. For several years I have been using the RCBS 10 pound cast iron pot as an ingot mold. When filled half full they make 5 pound ingots that are flat on the top and bottom and stack very well. I have 5 or 6 of these pots but when I bought mine they were like $8.00 each and I picked up a couple from gun shows for just a couple of bucks each. Last time I checked they were now like $20.00 new, yikes.

If filled full they will of course make 10 pound ingots but the 10 pounders will not fit into the RCBS 22 pound pot for remelting. Plus at 10 pounds they take too long to cool so the pot can be re-filled for the next ingot.

Just a little something for the grey matter to chew on.

Rick

zxcvbob
12-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Here is a link for the corn stick muffin pan from Wal-Mart. They have free shipping from site to store.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Cast...ck-Pan/6005458

Someone who uses them can probably tell you the weight, but I’d say they are over a pound.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking about ordering.

The ingot in the picture is from the standard size cornbread pan found almost anywhere.

When filled with lead or WW alloy, is it about a pound? Two pounds?

I don't necessarily want heavier ingots, just something less clumsy to handle. I store my ingots in buckets, so they don't really need to stack well.

mdi
12-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Well, can somebody weigh one of their corn shaped ingots? I have an aluminum one (no ingots left right now) and stacking them isn't a problem, just alternate top/bottom and end to end...

MT Gianni
12-03-2012, 01:18 PM
I am at work but IIRC, they weigh around 2.1 lbs and stack fine in a 5 gallon bucket.

knifemaker
12-03-2012, 01:19 PM
I have several of the corn shaped cast iron pans. The ingots weigh about 2 pounds and the shape allows easy loading into a 10 or 20 pound pot. I picked mine up at thrift stores and they ran about 5 bucks each.

zxcvbob
12-03-2012, 02:23 PM
I've been watching for one at the thrift shops for several years; they never show up. If my time is worth anything at all I should jsut order the one from Walmart. $11 vs $5. I might even bake some cornbread in it once :D

mold maker
12-03-2012, 03:00 PM
What is the fascination with cornbread stick molds? Catch regular ingot molds on sale at less money and the ingots are ~1lb, and stack like brick.
The molds are lighter weight and some come with handles. You can stack 725 + ingots in a milk crate.
Over the last 50+ years I have accumulated near thirty of 7 different molds which will still be worth what I paid.
I make cornbread sticks for the grandchildren ,but would never mess a pan up with lead.

Sasquatch-1
12-03-2012, 04:16 PM
My corn bread sticks usually come in in the 1.25 to 1.75 lb range. They stack fairly well in small amounts. If you want cheap get a couple of muffin pans from a dollar store and a pair of plyers to handle the ingots with. Just remember they have to fit into your melting pot so they get to the heated area. You may also want to look at one of the mini loaf pans.

Moonman
12-03-2012, 04:47 PM
I have some corn bread sticks purchased here, weight about 1 to 1 1/4 lb each.

Wal-Mart has Stainless Steel condament cups (2 ounce size) for 88 cent per 4 cups.

I have a CAST IRON CORN BREAD WEDGE SKILLET. (6 WEDGES). 2-3 LBS EACH.

I have some "CAST BOOLITS" MOLDS purchased here that make nice little ingots, cute too!

Lower ingots into the already melted alloy pot with a ladel or slotted spoon, NO SPLASH.

zxcvbob
12-03-2012, 05:29 PM
I think maybe instead of a new mold, I just need to get a cheap pair of kitchen tongs. :target_smiley:

Roosters
12-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Don’t even think about going in the kitchen when she’s not looking. :shock: :shock:

Sasquatch-1
12-03-2012, 05:59 PM
I think maybe instead of a new mold, I just need to get a cheap pair of kitchen tongs. :target_smiley:

I think you might be happier with the plyers. Cheap dollar store pair will do. You will be able to get a better grip then with the tongs.

Le Loup Solitaire
12-03-2012, 11:41 PM
At Harbor Freight they have relatively inexpensive channel lock pliers with wide opening jaws that can safely grip the condiment cup ingots and just about any other size ingot from any other style (shaped) mold such as the corn cobs or others. LLS

mdi
12-04-2012, 01:14 PM
I think part of the fun/enjoyment of casting is finding tools/equipment that works, but isn't dedicated "casting tools"; being resourseful. Anybody can buy a Lee/RCBS/SAECO ingot mold, but what's the fun in that? I have my muffin pans (8 and 12 muffin size), my corn stick pan, and some small loaf pans, that I use for ingots and I think they are much better than a commercial ingot mold. And what about home made ingot molds? I've seen some really spiffy custom molds made from angle iron or channel iron!