PDA

View Full Version : Hobart 1612 meat slicer

Adam10mm
12-03-2012, 04:09 AM
My father gave me a Hobart model 1612 meat slicer. Says it runs and the blade is super sharp. Can't remember where or when he got it, but it was there and he gave it to me to help butcher and process animals at the farm.

Any of you used one before and can get me hints or tips of operation? It's still in the back of my Blazer from the trip back home from WI. I will take some pics tomorrow and post them. Seems complete. Any notorious issues I should be concerned with? I'll search for an online manual.

Adam10mm
12-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Got it put together. The meat holder shelf was removed for storage. Runs great, just needs a little cleaning up. The arm won't slide along the shaft toward the blade, so I wonder if it's locked down for transporting?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/DSCN1488.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/DSCN1489.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/DSCN1483.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/DSCN1482.jpg

shotman4
12-03-2012, 03:39 PM
keep fingers out . they are tough to chew

Dark Helmet
12-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Set it up on the motor end, I think there are two shafts the carriage slides on , they're either rusty or gummed up. Fix that, clean a couple more times and enjoy!

Adam10mm
12-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Ok, I'll check that out. Thanks.

Bad Water Bill
12-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Google Hobart 1612 meat slicer instructions. They are available.

Adam10mm
12-06-2012, 12:04 PM
I'll try that. I've been searching Hobart 1612 slicer manual and it hasn't gotten me anywhere good other than a two page spec sheet.

DLCTEX
12-09-2012, 10:47 AM
If you need a part such as a switch, cord, etc. find it local or online. I needed a thermostat for a heat shrink wrapper and Hobart wanted $97. I found it online for $8.95 shipped. They are proud of their parts and value them greatly. High quality machines though.

GH1
12-11-2012, 08:28 PM
I use the Hobart slicer at my local Am Legion from time to time, it's a beast. Hobart makes one hell of a machine and it will probably outlive you. Enjoy!
GH1

Adam10mm
12-12-2012, 01:24 AM
If you need a part such as a switch, cord, etc. find it local or online. I needed a thermostat for a heat shrink wrapper and Hobart wanted $97. I found it online for $8.95 shipped. They are proud of their parts and value them greatly. High quality machines though.
Thanks for the tip. I found out I need the black index dial as it's missing. Site I came across is this one: http://www.oldhobartslicerparts.com/Hobart16121712Parts.html

Just Duke
12-15-2012, 07:10 AM
Nice score. How much do they run used?

altheating
12-15-2012, 08:54 AM
I have the same slicer (got it free too) The sliders are gummed up. Spray them with oven cleaner, let set awhile and wipe clean. Then spray with silicone. Mine came with a nick in the blade. Fixed it with a file and a diamond hone. Use it for cutting cabbage real fine for cabbage salad and slicing venison minute steaks.Nice score! Now you will be hearing, "wow, where did you get that?" from all your friends.

Just Duke
12-15-2012, 09:48 AM
I have the same slicer (got it free too) The sliders are gummed up. Spray them with oven cleaner, let set awhile and wipe clean. Then spray with silicone.
Oven cleaner is basically furniture stripper. i.e. Caustic Soda. Silicone is carcinogenic also. I would completely dissemble it and clean the tracks with mineral spirits and then lots of dish soap and hot water.

Adam10mm
12-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Nice score. How much do they run used?
Used, I've seen them sell recently online auction and refinsher/reseller for between $1,100 and $1,600. Brand new listing price was $4,600 at the time they were current model.

Oven cleaner is basically furniture stripper. i.e. Caustic Soda. Silicone is carcinogenic also. I would completely dissemble it and clean the tracks with mineral spirits and then lots of dish soap and hot water.
I have some sodium hydrochloride caustic soda at work.:) Mineral spirits might work out better, and I have it at home too. Thanks for the help guys. I figured the track might be gummed up.

jhickdog
12-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Make sure you use "food grade" mineral oil. Costs more but more suited to handling food. Also there is usually a stone attachment that fits on the turn knob on the top/back of the blade housing for truing up the blade in between sharpenings.

Adam10mm
07-21-2013, 02:04 PM
OK, it's been a long time but I finally got the meat slider arm freed! PB Blaster and a 4lb brass hammer with a few angered whacks got it freed up. I don't want to remove it from the unit, though it looks easy enough. One screw on each end holds the shaft in place. I'm sure the housings some off the shaft. I was thinking of removing the slider unit and shaft, degrease everything with brake cleaner and relube the shaft. Basically start over from scratch. I'll have to study it a bit more but it's essentially ready to cut meat. The blade adjustment dial is missing but I just measured its current setting at about an 1/8th inch thick. Make some hearty lunchmeat slices like that.

MaryB
07-22-2013, 01:26 AM
They are great for thin slicing partially frozen meat for jerky making.

Adam10mm
07-22-2013, 01:34 AM
That's what my father used it for.

Hickory
07-22-2013, 08:09 AM
The only tip I can think of is;
know where your fingers are at all times.

Jeff Michel
07-22-2013, 08:23 AM
All "mineral oil" is acceptable as a lubricant on food processing equipment. Do NOT clean it with any petroleum based solvents. Soap and water, let it dry and used sufficient amount of mineral oil wiped over it's entire surface to prevent any corrosion to the aluminum parts. Did you get the sharpener attachment? Do not try to "free hand" sharpen or to "touch it up" with a stone. It's a pretty good unit, with the proper care it will last almost forever. If you need repair parts, try to find them from someone other than Hobart, they are providers for industrial equipment and they price their parts accordingly. Last time I spoke to one of the Hobart techs, the current price for an in plant visit was 140.00 per hour plus mileage. If your not sure what the sharpener attachment looks like, I can probably find one in service and take a picture and e-mail it to you.

Adam10mm
07-22-2013, 09:58 AM
I don't have the sharpener but online they range from $100-150.

koehn,jim
07-25-2013, 10:36 PM
They make a blade sharpener that attaches to the unit so the blade can be kept sharp, don't know how much they are but very nice to have.

Adam10mm
07-25-2013, 11:47 PM
They are $100 online.

rush1886
08-03-2013, 08:24 AM

and use mineral oil for the lube. eds' red tastes nasty!