PDA

View Full Version : Scope Mount D&T Jig ?

hylander
12-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Desided to buy a jig rather than pay my smith to D&T, should have kept the last one I had.
It seems Wheeler and B-Square discontinued their drill jigs
Anyone use this one, looks just like Wheelers

http://www.sbdglobaloptics.com/Scope-Mount-Drill-Jig/M/B004K88GJU.htm

Note to self, never sell tools

Pirate69
12-02-2012, 08:14 PM
I will be interested in the responses also.

hylander
12-03-2012, 03:48 AM
Hope it is a good one.
I ordered it and their 1 peice Weaver style Mauser 98 mount

creophus
12-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Yep that looks just like the Weaver D&T jig that I have at home. Have you received it yet? If so, how does it work?

hylander
12-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Received my jig.
Was going to D&T when I remove the barrel but couldn't wait.
Jig works good, my only issue was my receiver was very tough to break the surface.
Ate a couple good drill bits, but got it done.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/hylander7/Firearms/Smithing/Milling/004-1.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/hylander7/Firearms/Smithing/Milling/015-1.jpg

W.R.Buchanan
12-16-2012, 08:12 PM
I had a major pain trying to break thru the surface on a Springfield receiver to mount a Lyman Receiver sight.

Took me 2 full hours, and a variety of drills, and finally used a grinding point to grind below the case hardening.

Then there was breaking the same tap 4 separate times. And then finally success. There was a pool of sweat on the floor next to my mill.

This is why gunsmiths take so long to do a job.

Randy

KCSO
12-17-2012, 11:39 AM
It's a good one and I used one of these for a long time till I got a Forester jig and made an extension for it. Use carbide bits to start your holes so they cut clean and don't wander. Then anneal the holes before tapping.

nhrifle
12-17-2012, 01:02 PM
I've been doing some aerospace machining for a few years and done some work with metals that are very difficult to cut -- inconel, monel, titanium. Drills have come a long way, but they don't sell the good ones on the shelf at wallyworld. Cobalt is a great place to start, carbide is about the best for hardened materials, though it is quite brittle. Another consideration is drill coating. The gold TiN coating we have come to know is ok for soft metals, but will cause frustration on harder materials. I have come to love TiAln coating, which I have seen as purple, gray and near black. Look to Enco, MSC and Travers Tool Co for these.

Lubricate with Tap Magic or an equivalent. Motor oil is not good, and neither is veggie oil, ATF, WD40 or any spray penetrant. Use cutting oil.

Low RPMs on a drill press or hand drill, moderate and constant pressure on the bit, dripping oil onto it constantly while cutting. Remove the bit from the jig frequently to clear chips.

You could also try spot annealing with a small soldering torch to soften the case hardening.

Hope this is good info that helps.

KCSO
12-18-2012, 11:02 AM
To spot anneal put a hole size pin in the drilled hole and heat it red hoot and leave it in till it's cool.

Junior1942
12-18-2012, 11:55 AM
To spot anneal put a hole size pin in the drilled hole and heat it red hoot and leave it in till it's cool.Great tip! That would be a good use for dull or broken bits!