PDA

View Full Version : electronic ear protectors

hiram
12-02-2012, 05:04 PM
has anyone tried these?

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/ear-protection/noise-canceling-electronic-ear-muffs-92851.html

jcwit
12-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Have not tried the Harbor Freight but they look very similar to the Caldwell ones sold by Midway. I did have a pr. of those and did not like them at all.

I'd spend a little(?) more and get a set of Howard Leigth protectors, got a set and am extreamally happy with them. I have used the Caldwells, as noted, Silenceco (sp), and a set of Remingtons, all electronics. H/L wins hands hands down.

GOPHER SLAYER
12-02-2012, 05:44 PM
hiram, a few years ago Buckshot bought some of these ear protectors and gave them to friends for Christmas, including me. They work great but since they are so thick they prevent you from placing your cheek on a rifle stock. Work fine with pistols though.

jcwit
12-02-2012, 05:58 PM
One thing to note, do they blank out completely? Not good if you need to hear while shooting. H/L does not, just cutts the loud report, other sounds are still heard.

imashooter2
12-02-2012, 06:17 PM
I have a pair. The circuitry cuts out fast enough, but it takes more time to cut back on than higher priced options. They were also very susceptible to radio interference. It is very difficult to follow conversation with those muffs, and following conversation is the primary reason for having them. I moved up to a set of Peltor muffs and have been quite happy with them. The HF muffs go in the bag as loaners when I take friends to the range.