PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x51mm no headstamp

Jonnytoobad
12-02-2012, 01:10 PM
I recently found about 200 round of 7.62x51mm military ammunition with no head stamp markings of any kind. It looks like M80 ball but with a green primer sealer. Anyone have
any information out there about this type of ammo? Also I have seen Portuguese 8mm with no headstamp and it looks very similar.

I apologize if this isn't in the right forum...since it's about commercially/factory ammunition.
Jonnytoobad

MtGun44
12-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Hard to say, but occasionally it is politcally useful to have ammo that cannot
be traced back to the supplying country. Suppose one country is assisting rebels secretly
and unwilling to admit it. Wouldn't do for the empties at the battles to be marked
"Made in Dipshirtistan" would it?

Bill

Balkandom
12-04-2012, 02:27 AM
I've seen it called "Ghost" ammo. Mtgun called it correctly, it's designed to be anonymous for uses in places where plausible deniability is a factor. Most government contract companies of various countries produce it on an as-needed basis, they just don't talk about it. Nice find, I have not seen any in a long time.

zuke
12-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Berdan or boxer primed?

Jim
12-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Hard to say, but occasionally it is politcally useful to have ammo that cannot
be traced back to the supplying country. Suppose one country is assisting rebels secretly
and unwilling to admit it. Wouldn't do for the empties at the battles to be marked
"Made in Dipshirtistan" would it? Bill

I've heard a few times that 'John Doe' ammo (no name) is mfg'rd. for black and spec op missions.

blikseme300
12-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Saw lots of these in southern Africa during the 80's. As pointed out, deniability is the reason.

Bliksem
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Multigunner
12-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Red China is said to supply ammunition with no headstamp or bogus misleading headstamps to guerillas in the Phillipines.

I was given a couple of boxes of steel cased copper wash berdan primed .30 carbine ammo to use in test firing a balky carbine, these had a LC59 headstamp which a friend who examined the cases said was one of the bogus stampings.
That particular ammo was extra hot.

NuJudge
12-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Red China is said to supply ammunition with no headstamp or bogus misleading headstamps to guerillas in the Phillipines.

I was given a couple of boxes of steel cased copper wash berdan primed .30 carbine ammo to use in test firing a balky carbine, these had a LC59 headstamp which a friend who examined the cases said was one of the bogus stampings.
That particular ammo was extra hot.

...and it should have been Berdan primed and corrosively primed also.

WILCO
12-04-2012, 08:22 PM
I recently found about 200 round of 7.62x51mm military ammunition with no head stamp markings of any kind. It looks like M80 ball but with a green primer sealer.

Where did you find these? Any DHS vans with broken back doors driving through?

Jonnytoobad
12-05-2012, 08:51 PM
I understood the reason for no head stamp and I have seen plenty of Chinese steel case copper washed ammo with no head stamp that was 7.62x51mm...also with Fake Radway green head stamps.

But this is totally different....I have a sample 8x57mm Portugese round with no headstamp for comparison but it is slightly different..both use light green primer sealant....both have Berdan primers with 3 stake marks...but the 8mm stakes are narrower,,the stake markings on the 7.62x51mm round are much widere....reminds me a little of Hirtenberger or possibley Chilean....I have access to both types of rounds so I will try to compare it to them.....I just wondered if anyone knew anything about it specifically I may have to section rounds and or compare powders to really be correct about it.

Blammer
12-09-2012, 09:01 PM
let us know how it shoots. :)