PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning Outside of a New Cast Iron Smelting Pot?

daddyseal
12-02-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm retiring the old aluminum pot that I've been using for a new cast iron.
Everything outside, in my shed and inside my garage rusts.

Do you use anything to stop that on the Outside?
Is there anything that will?

thank you~

Jim
12-02-2012, 11:16 AM
First thing that comes to mind is high temp engine paint. I don't know how long it would last, though. I've never worried about my pot rusting, it doesn't seem to affect the smelting or the outcome of the alloy.

zxcvbob
12-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Try linseed oil.

What size pot are you talking about, and what kind of burner are you using? If not too big, a stainless steel pot from the thrift shop might work better.

daddyseal
12-02-2012, 11:25 AM
This one pot and burner, both from Amazon:
Stansport Cast Iron 4 Quart Dutch Oven
Camp Chef SHP-RL High Pressure Single Burner Cooker with Detachable legs and Round top, Black

12-02-2012, 11:38 AM
It will rust. Whenever you're done and it cool, wipe it down with a rig rag, (oily rag).

daddyseal
12-02-2012, 12:03 PM
OK...will do

dragonrider
12-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Conditioning the outside of your pot is something that you will have to do after each use, after it cools off. IMO you will be better off using a stainless steel pot, not aluminum.

holeysocks
02-03-2013, 01:08 PM
When it comes to smelting, Goodwill and Salvation Army are your friend

John Allen
02-03-2013, 01:15 PM
you could do like the blacksmiths used to and get the pot hot and then coat the outside with beeswax or you can use an old wax ring if you can find one with actual wax. Be careful though as it will flare up and flame.

daddyseal
02-03-2013, 01:52 PM
you could do like the blacksmiths used to and get the pot hot and then coat the outside with beeswax or you can use an old wax ring if you can find one with actual wax. Be careful though as it will flare up and flame.

Interesting, friend
The old ways which get forgotten over time are, many times, the best ways~!!
I'll keep that in mind.

However, since posting the question, I've found a brand new product that removes rust, soaks into the metal itself, leaving long lasting protection against rust, etc.
It's made by the creator of gun cleaner, lube and metal preservative that I use on all my firearms, called GUNZILLA.

This brand new product of his is called SUPERZILLA...And it's working Great~!!

Thanks to all who answered my question~!!

zxcvbob
02-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Just wipe it down with cooking oil when you are done.