PDA

View Full Version : Best press and dies to load .50 BMG?

geargnasher
12-02-2012, 01:12 AM
I have an RCBS Ammomaster with the 1-1/2" by 12 TPI hole, but no other equipment yet.

Lee dies get rave reviews and many claim they're getting less runout than with the other brands, but the Lees only fit the smaller 1-1/4" by 12 TPI Lee presses like the Classic Cast.

The Lee .50 BMG kit based on the Classic Cast is almost a hundred bucks less than a two-die RCBS or Hornady die set, and the Lee kit includes a priming setup and shellholder with it too.

Since I already have the press, it makes sense to buy the RCBS or Hornady dies, shellholder, priming setup, etc., but totaled up I could buy two complete Lee kits for the same money.

The Lee press is a tad too short to easily position a bullet for seating, and I worry a bit if it's up to the task.

What are you guys using, and am I better off spending the bucks to put the AmmoMaster to work?

Gear

noylj
12-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Possibly the Dillon BFG press, made specifically for .50BMG.
You could see if Lee will make you a Lee Classic Loader for it.
Have fun geargnasher...

geargnasher
12-02-2012, 01:48 AM
I could buy a lot of loaded ammo for $2500!

Gear

Mooseman
12-02-2012, 02:14 AM
500 to 600 rounds of surplus...at todays prices !
Or ~400 rounds of Hornady A-max ammo.

kd185
12-02-2012, 09:10 AM
the lee press works just fine
i load around 1,000 rounds (ball & match ammo) with mine before i bought my hollywood senior (I hate constantly resetting my dies & i'm a huge fan of turret presses)
you could always buy the ch4d adapter to fit the lee dies in your ammomaster press
what are you loading for (gun)?

zuke
12-02-2012, 09:13 AM
I have a friend that swear's by his LEE 50 cal kit.

bloodyknife
12-02-2012, 11:28 AM
I bought the Lee 50 cal kit because like geargnasher has figured out it is an unbeatable value. I have been using it for several years and it does the job but it is at its limit both dimensionally and leverage wise. I just can't justify the expense of other brands of dies and a press truly sized for the 50 BMG, like this one:
http://www.ch4d.com/?com=catalog&view=product&alias=RC000

1bluehorse
12-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Gear I checked the bushing that came with my Ammomaster and it appears to me to be 1 1/4 x 14tpi. inside dia. The threads are definitly different from the outside threads. I have it set up as a progressive right now, but have all the pieces to set it back up to SS. Not much difference between it and the "regular" Ammomaster Auto, the compound leverage "block" is a bit longer and beefier, and the uprights are a bit longer and it has a longer handle. That's about all the difference that I can see... pretty sturdy press.

bobthenailer
12-02-2012, 02:42 PM
A friend , who is a machniest built his own from planes avalible somewhere on this sight ? , he had $260 in material and it is simular to the Corbin press . he later installed a air / hydraulic bottle jack to operate the press ram .

nhrifle
12-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Ive been using the Lee Classic Cast press for all my loading for quite awhile and love it. I bought their 50 BMG tooling after I got my Bohica Arms upper. I don't shoot it much due to cost but about a month ago finally had enough brass to justify loading. The press has plenty of clearance when seating bullets, you just have to position the bullet on the case mouth and kinda angle it into the press, bullet into the die then case into shell holder. Their priming system works slick. Lee's case sizing lube works better than anything else I've tried, but make sure to swab a little inside the case neck with a qtip.

One thing I did learn is that primer pockets MUST be uniformed or primers won't seat fully without crushing them. Being a bit of a cheapskate, I discovered a 4 flute 5/16" endmill will both remove the primer crimp and cut the pockets to depth. I just chuck it into a drill and cut with light pressure until the pocket is deep enough for my primers. I measure that with calipers.

In answer to your question, you won't regret the Lee equipment.

kd185
12-02-2012, 05:37 PM
ive got have a bohica
2 actually a MKII and a MKIII
small world

nhrifle
12-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Mine is a MKIV 50 BMG, standard chamber, 24" barrel length. Its an awesome piece of hardware for sure! Problem is the company went out of business so spare parts are hard to come by. That being said, it is probably the most fun to shoot of my collection. Theres just something about burning 240 grains of powder per trigger pull.

Catshooter
12-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Gear,

A bushing for the Ammomaster to bring it down to fit the Lee dies?

How will the Ammomaster prime? I'm really curious as I have one and I have the 50 BMG/single hole conversion. Haven't ever used it though.

Cat

geargnasher
12-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. I knew about the CH4D adapter bushing, it's an option.

I'm not sure how the Ammomaster will prime, I assume with some sort of ram-prime kit like for the regular primers, but I haven't priced or checked on availability yet. Probably not going to work with my Lee hand press...:kidding:

I keep hearing about different primer pocket depths, so the tip on the mill bit is stored for future use if necessary.

If the Lee can take it, I think that's the way I'll go. Not trying to size machine gun brass while decapping crimped primers at the same time and using lousy lube will probably keep the press intact. I have a feel for mechanical limitations, lots of experience NOT twisting off frozen bolts gained from twisting off more than a few helps my assessment of when to "whoa" and regroup.

This is for a Barrett bolt action.

Gear

nhrifle
12-02-2012, 11:19 PM
Honestly you won't have trouble resizing anything. Like I said, I use only the Lee sizing lube when resizing 50 bmg and believe it or not it's no worse than 30/06 Garand brass.

Do not be afraid...come to the red side.....we have cookies

zuke
12-03-2012, 10:57 AM

:bigsmyl2:

20nickels
12-03-2012, 11:38 AM
A friend , who is a machniest built his own from planes avalible somewhere on this sight ? , he had $260 in material and it is simular to the Corbin press . he later installed a air / hydraulic bottle jack to operate the press ram .
Modified Aneat's UP North press. I'm convinced you could put a 3rd hole between "reloading" and "swaging" mode that would be optimised for sizing BMG brass. You may even be able to swage your own .50 BMG bullets!
Yeah, the Lee will do it but the UP North was made for it.

GT1
12-03-2012, 12:53 PM
The Lee will do it for 200 bucks(including dies, ram prime, shell holder/adapter).

There is nothing else that compares for value. Or, someone could buy the UP north whatever press for $600, then get some dies, and a priming system, etc.

Yeah, that is a lot of powder one could buy with the savings(And one will need it at 240 grains a shot).

bloodyknife
12-03-2012, 04:09 PM
nhrifle, you must have considerably more upper body strength than I do (which ain't much), sizing surplus brass makes me have to stand up and use some weight on the handle, 30'06 and 308 size much easier and sitting down. I really notice it if I don't use enough lube too. What really has impressed me is the physical effort that goes into trimming, chamfering, outside neck turning, and primer pocked uniforming. After 50 cases your hands and arms are tired and you have a big pile of brass shavings. Chucking these tools in a cordless drill if possible makes a huge difference. Hey gear, I love my Barret 99 but it has a big appetite for lead and powder, kind of like owning a St. Bernard. Glad I didn't buy the semiauto.

nhrifle
12-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Bloodyknife, what I found is that handle length and position is critical as well as getting that case as slippery as possible. Your Barrett should have a nice tight chamber so the brass shouldn't expand too much upon firing. With that surplus brass it might be easier to take it in small bites when resizing. The press get most leverage at the top of its stroke so screw out the die enough so only the first third or so is sized. Back out the handle to relieve tension, screw the die down a bit more, and continue until the case is sized.

I'm not a small guy but I don't think I have extraordinary physical powers. I just let leverage do the work for me. Also, I have been doing my sizing with my press bolted to a Black & Decker Workmate and it hasn't suffered any damage.

Don't be afraid to make yourself a longer handle either! Make the equipment work for you.

geargnasher
12-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Honestly you won't have trouble resizing anything. Like I said, I use only the Lee sizing lube when resizing 50 bmg and believe it or not it's no worse than 30/06 Garand brass.

I have eight Lee presses, all mounted and frequently used, I just wanted to see if the horror stories about shattering the Classic cast with BMG brass was mostly due to "headspace and timing" issues or if the press really was that marginal for the job. Looks like the usual answer is "use your brain and it will work fine", which is what I was kind of expecting, but I really appreciate the feedback from real-world experience and not a bunch of yahoos with who-knows-what ability writing reviews on product pages.

Gear

noylj
12-04-2012, 02:17 AM
Re: my answer that was virtually ignores. I "thought" gearngasher asked for the BEST press, not the least expensive.
Unless the press window is big enough to easily handle the case and bullet, before seating, and open enough that the loaded round can be EASILY removed, it is NOT the BEST press.
If you're loading the big boys and, considering the cost of the rifles and components, why scrimp on the press?

r1kk1
12-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Modified Aneat's UP North press. I'm convinced you could put a 3rd hole between "reloading" and "swaging" mode that would be optimised for sizing BMG brass. You may even be able to swage your own .50 BMG bullets!
Yeah, the Lee will do it but the UP North was made for it.

Walnut Hill or Corbin would fit the bill nicely too. With any of the three presses, a fellow could process all the machine gun fired stuff and then some. I wonder what the late Skip Talbot used?

Take care

r1kk1

kd185
12-04-2012, 08:11 AM
I have eight Lee presses, all mounted and frequently used, I just wanted to see if the horror stories about shattering the Classic cast with BMG brass was mostly due to "headspace and timing" issues or if the press really was that marginal for the job. Looks like the usual answer is "use your brain and it will work fine", which is what I was kind of expecting, but I really appreciate the feedback from real-world experience and not a bunch of yahoos with who-knows-what ability writing reviews on product pages.
Gear

you'll bend the handle before you shatter the press
trust me i know

Faret
12-04-2012, 11:50 AM

Gear

Have loaded over 600 rds and no problems like you said use your head!

quasi
12-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Dillon makes a 50 BMG press, or rather sells one. I believe P&W makes it for them?

bloodyknife
12-04-2012, 07:47 PM
nhrifle, you are correct that the surplus is hardest to size the first time. It did not occur to me to try a longer a handle, the simple solutions usually escape me. I have thought about how using the Lee for the big 50 is a testament to its strength. Probably the best single stage on the market for the money. I have been disappointed with certain Lee products (mostly molds) but their classic cast single stage and classic cast turret are the best in their class. The primer disposal through the ram is a great feature most others lack.

geargnasher
12-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Re: my answer that was virtually ignores. I "thought" gearngasher asked for the BEST press, not the least expensive.
Unless the press window is big enough to easily handle the case and bullet, before seating, and open enough that the loaded round can be EASILY removed, it is NOT the BEST press.
If you're loading the big boys and, considering the cost of the rifles and components, why scrimp on the press?

So you have one? How do you like it, and tell me what it does that makes it worth more than ten times what the Lee costs, and five times what the RCBS costs?

Gear

o6Patient
01-11-2013, 04:25 PM
You already own an ammo master? guess I don't get the question?

joec
01-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Try this https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-50-bmg-kit-90859.html for $187.99 when back in stock plus shipping which will be about $16.

BruceB
01-11-2013, 04:47 PM
The RCBS press primes right on the press itself, if you have the correct tooling for the job. My RCBS .50BMG setup works extremely well, and if you already have the press it would seem strange to set up a complete new outfit. Go with the RCBS, is my advice. The Lee-bots can brag all they like.

geargnasher
01-12-2013, 12:51 AM
Well, in the OP I mentioned the cost analysis, but what I needed was the benefit analysis. I like a lot of the stuff Lee makes, and much of it is very effective. One can drive a few sixteen-penney nails with a Chinese-made, cast iron hammer as well as with an Estwing framing hammer, but a tack hammer ain't going to cut it.

Gear

o6Patient
01-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Well, in the OP I mentioned the cost analysis, but what I needed was the benefit analysis. I like a lot of the stuff Lee makes, and much of it is very effective. One can drive a few sixteen-penney nails with a Chinese-made, cast iron hammer as well as with an Estwing framing hammer, but a tack hammer ain't going to cut it.

Gear

Make sure you have eye protection on using the chinese hitting stick.
(yeah yeah, i have my share of vachinna junk too, and besides they
probably made the 16 penny spikes ta' boot..but still I'd rather have the Estwing..
..made to last a life time.
Like the chinese hammer Lee has been doing some of the best engineering
in the industry, it's just the implementation where it gets lost sometimes
trying to meet their perceived market niche and price point.
(Nobody can hammer spikes anymore since the advent of pneumatic nailers
so the analogy is moot anyway.):kidding::kidding::hijack::lol:

ridurall
01-13-2013, 06:48 PM
I started loading for my 50 BMG 3 years ago when a friend said that he was not using his RCBS 50 BMG loader and I could use it as long as I wanted to. Well 2 weeks ago he decided that he wanted to start loading for his Barrett. I offered to purchase the RCBS loader from him but no go on that so I started pricing loaders. The RCBS was around $570 and I couldn't find any used ones and a friend pointed me to a link for the Lee 50 BMG loader for $216 shipped. I didn't think I would like the Lee loader as I thought it was made from Aluminum but when I arrived I discovered it's all cast Iron. I thought about offering Dwayne (the guy I got the RCBS loader from) the new Lee loader in exchange but decided that I liked it and it is also able to convert to standard size dies so I can just use it for sizing 50 BMG API boolits with the Lee sizer and not stress my Lyman turrett press. I've got to give Lee credit. I originally thought their presses were all **** but I'm pleased with this one.

EDG
01-13-2013, 09:09 PM
I am not sure what the purpose of this thread was. The benefit analysis is you already own the press and it will take very little to put it into service.
You need a bushing for the top thread. Anyone can make one of these and I am sure that RCBS and many other companies make that bushing. So how much does the bushing cost?
To prime it all you need is a .50 BMG ram primer which apparently you do not have and you will have to buy anyway. The Lee ram prime tools is $16 at Graf's.

Lee 50 BMG dies are about $71 at Grafs with a C&R.

Gear

bbqncigars
01-16-2013, 11:27 PM
I load for my Windrunner using the Lee 50BMG package. The ram prime can be accurately set for depth/crush using two shaft collars and feeler gauges. I advise adding an extra set screw to each collar if they only have one when purchased.

Kydaddy
01-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Have to give another prop for the Lee 50BMG kit. Great value. I couldn't justify spending more for a dedicated press. My only negative is the handle is way to flimsy being hollow and I bent two before my wife's cousin machined me a suitable replacement from solid stock

1bluehorse
01-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Gear, where are you at on the 50BMG press project?? Long story short, I also have an Ammomaster set up on my bench..IF (not likely) I were going to reload this round, think I would have someone make me a 1 1/4x12 bushing for it so I could use the Lee stuff...much less expensive..looks like you could get setup for about 150 bucks (not including bushing) for about everything you'd need..I'm sure the Lee 50 BMG "kit" works fine, (275.00 ish) but the Ammomaster has a much larger "window". My Ammomaster measures right at 7 1/2in from top of base to bottom of die plate, (have to subtract shellholder height for usable room) I don't know what the Lee press measures...

Faret
01-29-2013, 04:35 PM
CH4d makes a adapter if you decide to go that route.

geargnasher
01-29-2013, 11:08 PM
Project is currently sidelined, but you all have given me the info I needed. Looks like Lee kit is going to be the best answer, by the time I pieced together the bushing, dies, ram shellholder adapter, priming tools, etc. the shipping and time would eat up a lot of the advantage of a little more press clearance. I'm not using surplus machine gun brass and not loading a high volume, so the Lee kit route makes the most sense.

Gear

novalty
01-30-2013, 09:31 AM
How about Ten-X's TX-50 press (http://www.tenxammo.com/tx-50.html).

http://www.tenxammo.com/sitebuilder/images/TX-50_photo_2-215x377.jpg

DukeInFlorida
01-31-2013, 12:21 PM
A few years ago, I got a government auction load of 50 BMG brass. I sold off most of it, keeping some in reserve for the day when I buy a Safety Harbor SHTF mag fed 50 upper for my AR platform.

As funds from selling off brass has allowed (along came cancer, and changed a lot in my life), I have been prepping for the day when I could make the purchase of the upper.

I waited and found a SALE at OPtics Planet for the Lee 50 BMG KIT, at just under $200 (think it was $197)... Then, they sent me a email, indicating that it was out of stock. After waiting another few weeks, I chatted with an online person there, and they deducted a 10% discount from my order total for the inconvenience of having to wait so long.

The eventually delivered, at a wonderful price.

I still don't have the upper, but have been keeping busy with making 50 BMG bottle openers for friends and family. These require that I full length resize the brass. I haven't been able to figure out how to remove the depriming pin from the sizing tool, so have to deal with punching out the old primer, chamfering the primer pocket, and re-installing the spent primer.

The press works well, and was a LOT less expensive than any of the other press/tool options.

LUBEDUDE
01-31-2013, 12:37 PM
I bought 3 of those bottles openers on ebay maybe a year ago for family members. I hope I bought them from you Duke.

LUBEDUDE
01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
How about Ten-X's TX-50 press (http://www.tenxammo.com/tx-50.html).

http://www.tenxammo.com/sitebuilder/images/TX-50_photo_2-215x377.jpg

Man if I was loading the Big Fifty, this Bad Boy has my name all over it!

I'm a big enough reloading addict AND gun addict that I just may buy both!

But of course, now it's a Sucker's market.

nhrifle
01-31-2013, 12:54 PM
Duke, I think the decapping pin is pressed into the decapper. Lee sells a replacement rod cheap. A grinder will remove the pin quickly and you could have one set up for reloading and one for making bottle openers.

http://leeprecision.com/exp-decap-50-bmg.html

However, being a 50 BMG shooter, I cringe when I think of that brass being made non shootable.

Kydaddy
01-31-2013, 01:31 PM
Lee press will do MG brass just be ready to order more handles :) (Lee won't charge you, great customer service). Be sure to buy Imperial Wax. Nothing comes close on the big boys

Project is currently sidelined, but you all have given me the info I needed. Looks like Lee kit is going to be the best answer, by the time I pieced together the bushing, dies, ram shellholder adapter, priming tools, etc. the shipping and time would eat up a lot of the advantage of a little more press clearance. I'm not using surplus machine gun brass and not loading a high volume, so the Lee kit route makes the most sense.

Gear

Faret
02-01-2013, 11:06 AM
The decaping expander is one piece on my dies. A long punch and a hammer work for a decaper though.

Shredon
09-11-2014, 03:21 PM
I bought an accumax and am thoroughly impressed with it! I can load standard 7/8 dies and also quickly adapt it to load my 50bmg.
Shes a beauty

troyboy
09-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Where would one look at this Accu-max?

nhrifle
09-11-2014, 07:56 PM
http://albertatacticalrifle.com/hikashop-menu-for-categories-listing/product/3627-atrs-accu-maxx-reloading-press

jmort
09-11-2014, 08:08 PM
If I had the $$$, this is the ultimate

https://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/RC000

noylj
09-12-2014, 10:20 PM
I don't see what is so worthwhile about that single-stage press.
No, this is the ultimate:

http://www.camdexloader.com/2500Rotary.aspx

jmorris
09-13-2014, 09:19 AM
I'm a big enough reloading addict AND gun addict that I just may buy both!

But of course, now it's a Sucker's market.

I always felt 50 BMG's were priced for "suckers" there is not that much more too them.

The AR upper style didn't exist when I had the itch for one. So, I built the one I have. Used a Lothar Walther chambered barrel blank and Maddi Griffin plans.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/50bmg.jpg