PDA

View Full Version : Toz 17 baikal ?

HARRYMPOPE
12-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Anybody own an shoot one of these ugly duckings? An FFL buddy has 4 or 5 in a corner of his shop he got a while back.He wants $150 and i guess extra mags are hard to find.

George

NoZombies
12-01-2012, 10:41 PM
I don't own one, but have shot them. I wasn't terribly impressed with the accuracy, but I admit that I never really tried one for groups. I was borrowing some from a local shop when I was teaching gun familiarity to some kids from the church. I can say that we never had a problem with reliability, and the kids all enjoyed the experience.

I may know where to find you a spare magazine for a reasonable price as well.

HARRYMPOPE
12-01-2012, 11:21 PM
I will shoot it tomorrow AM.if i like it i may hit you up for the magazine.It isn't the smoothest operating rifle but i have a soft spot for Russian guns.

George

NoZombies
12-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Let me know. The mag isn't mine, but I know of one for sale fairly cheap, and I sure don't need it.

HARRYMPOPE
12-01-2012, 11:28 PM
I talked to a buddy who shot one about 5 years ago and he said it shot well with std velocity ammo but not hi-vel bulk stuff.A cheap gun liking expensive ammo isn't my idea of a match made in heaven!

HARRYMPOPE
12-02-2012, 08:43 PM
the gun shot CCI St-vel very well @ 50 yards.With a 6X scope four groups were 5/8"-3/4".With hi-vel bulk stuff it shot 1.5".The gun has a small chunk missing from the feed ramp and i had to singe load it as it wouldn't begin to feed.I am going over to his place again to look at another to see if it also has the same problem.If it feeds i will probably buy one.Seems like a reasonably accurate rifle for the price.

George

HARRYMPOPE
12-09-2012, 10:36 PM
I tried another rifle today.We had to swap out to find a good magazine and even the good one was only reliable with three shots loaded.With issue irons at 50 yards the average for five consecutive 5 shot groups was 1.2"(smallest .75-- biggest 1.5).This is with Fed bulk Champion.I would say they are accurate but the functioning isn't smooth.