PDA

View Full Version : Verp 308 eating Brass

Mlt2
12-01-2012, 06:19 PM
hey all, I took out my brand new Verp 308 today and ran about 50 rounds thru it. I was unsure about the gun before I fired, it but wow it shot great! Then while I was gathering up the brass I seen damage on the cases. About half had dents on the neck and or dents at half way up on the case.
I have shot and loaded a lot of 223 for the AR15 and never have I seen this before. So my question is this, will it get better as the gun wears in or is there anything I can adjust to help it? Also how bad of a dent does it take to make it unuseable? Here are a few picture's, I dont want to do anything unsafe but I dont want to throw away good 308 brass..
Thanks,

Trey45
12-01-2012, 09:17 PM
When you say verp, do you possibly mean VEPR?

tomme boy
12-01-2012, 10:18 PM
It's a semi auto AK. It is going to dent the brass and bend the rims. It's the nature of the gun. And yes it is a VEPR not a VERP. The brass is hitting the top cover. I have used brass out of my 223 AK about 6 times then they went into the scrap bucket. A lot is going to depend on how you are loading it. If you are over sizing the brass like most people do with a FL die, 6 times is going to be plenty. I set my dies up so they just bump the shoulder. That way the brass does not get over worked. Also how hot you run them makes a difference on how long they will last.

Mlt2
12-01-2012, 10:33 PM
When you say verp, do you possibly mean VEPR?

Yes, sorry about that. Some times my fingers out run my mind lol. I do a FL resize but I load them light side. Been reading about a Valmet ejection port buffer. From the sounds of it this might help??
Also thinking of working up a few 160 grains cast bullets loads, with 30 grains of IMR 4895. Been told this is a good cast load. Still researching...

TreeKiller
12-01-2012, 11:22 PM
My boys have 2 Sagas on the AK 47 platform 1 in 223 and 1 in 308 both dent cases in the same place as yours ever Tula steel. I think it is how the AK 47 is designed.
Dan