PDA

View Full Version : Lightest 9mm load

jabilli
12-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Howdy folks :-) -

I finally got my reloading table up and going just recently (Moved a little while ago, stuff wasn't set up for some time.)

For giggles, I'd like to make some ultra-light 9mm cartridges. I'm using Alliants Unique behind the TL356-124-2R http://www.midwayusa.com/product/141131/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-tl356-124-2r-9mm-luger-38-super-380-acp-356-diameter-124-grain-tumble-lube-2-ogive-radius (For reference).

I want to make a super-light, quiet load. Typically I use from 5.0-5.4 grains for standard shooting, right now my press is set up for 4.4 grains.

I'd like to shoot this recipe from my Beretta CX-4 carbine, so a bit more energy may be needed to have the bullet travel through that much longer of barrel, as well as having that much more weight to cycle the action (in comparison to a load that might work for a Beretta 92.)

Rather than running over to my garage and throwing in something like 2 grains of powder to see what happens, I figured it most prudent to ask: Is there such thing as TOO light of a load? My biggest fear is to squib the bullet, then have the pressure behind it not have anywhere to go, thus either pipebombing, or blowing a ton of gas in the shooters face...Whether or not that really ever happens,I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

darkroommike
12-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Howdy folks :-) -

I finally got my reloading table up and going just recently (Moved a little while ago, stuff wasn't set up for some time.)

For giggles, I'd like to make some ultra-light 9mm cartridges. I'm using Alliants Unique behind the TL356-124-2R http://www.midwayusa.com/product/141131/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-tl356-124-2r-9mm-luger-38-super-380-acp-356-diameter-124-grain-tumble-lube-2-ogive-radius (For reference).

I want to make a super-light, quiet load. Typically I use from 5.0-5.4 grains for standard shooting, right now my press is set up for 4.4 grains.

I'd like to shoot this recipe from my Beretta CX-4 carbine, so a bit more energy may be needed to have the bullet travel through that much longer of barrel, as well as having that much more weight to cycle the action (in comparison to a load that might work for a Beretta 92.)

Rather than running over to my garage and throwing in something like 2 grains of powder to see what happens, I figured it most prudent to ask: Is there such thing as TOO light of a load? My biggest fear is to squib the bullet, then have the pressure behind it not have anywhere to go, thus either pipebombing, or blowing a ton of gas in the shooters face...Whether or not that really ever happens,I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Until an expert that actually loads 9mm chimes in I'll just say that very light loads can be a bad thing. Brass may not expand enough to form a seal at the breach, bullets may stick in the barrel, action may not cycle and/or jams may occur. If you want a subsonic load you need a heavier bullet with lighter load not lighter bullet AND lighter load. Go to your book for a suggested load.

jabilli
12-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Hm. I DO have some heavier .357 bullets but I'm unsure if it would allow me to stay within a given OAL without bringing the pressures to levels I wouldn't be comfortable with... I have used 9mm bullets for .357, but Havn't tried .357 in 9mm... I'll run over with my Micrometer right now...
9mm roundnose measured: .603"
.357 Roundnose- .697"
.357 SWC- .653"
Given that the SWC is the shorter of the two, I'd assume it to be the better choice. I did run a search for light load/subsonic 9mm, but not yet for .357 bullets in 9mm. I suppose there to be a host of info on this. Digging through right now.

DeanWinchester
12-01-2012, 09:11 PM
I just made a thread about a load that would suit you well. A 125g Lee round nose tumble lubed and loaded over 3.0g of AA Nitro 100 new formula is extremely gentle. It cycles 100% in my Glock.

meshugunner
12-04-2012, 01:05 AM
I've tried light loads for 9mm with win231. The problem I had was cycling the action. Semiautos are much more restricted than revolvers in the range of loads that work. I don't think squibs are a problem until you go really low. Also I doubt a squib is going to harm the gun with over pressure especially if you are loading light. I have heard that a stuck bullet tends to swell and can bulget the barrel. Dunno. I think the biggest problem is firing another round after it while the barrel is obstructed. I've have a few 9mm squibs due to no powder at all and had to tap them out. The barrel was fine. Surprising how hard the primer can jam the bullet into the rifling.

toddrod
12-04-2012, 01:38 AM
my standard range load is a LEE 122 TC with 3g Titegroup in my Dan Wesson PM9 with an 8 lb spring. Very nice and accurate to shoot.

jameslovesjammie
12-04-2012, 10:24 AM
My wife is new to shooting and wanted something a little more powerful than a .22 to start with. I went with a 125 grain Ballisti-cast and 2.9 grains 700-X at 1.130". I don't know the velocity for sure, but I would imagine less than 900 fps. The brass would eject so close out of the action that if you could hold out your pants pocket, you would catch most your brass. The slightest limp wristing would cause the empties to not leave the action.

ironhead7544
12-29-2012, 11:27 AM
I use the 160 gr cast bullets meant for the 38 Super. Light loaded with AA#2. Just use enough to cycle the action 100%. Works in pistols and carbines. Also in SMGs with no problem and brass falls at your feet. You have to use the Lee Factory Crimp die as some cases will bulge a little at the bottom.

Recoil is very light. It seems the bullet weight carries enough momentum to work the actions. Fun load and cases seem to last longer.

hicard
12-29-2012, 11:56 AM
I would start at published minimum loads in the manuals. They should work the action and be light too.

fecmech
12-29-2012, 12:01 PM
The only problem with a squib load is a stuck bullet. No danger whatsoever unless you shoot another round before clearing the barrel of the stuck bullet. The only way you can find out how low you can go is to do it till you stick one and then go up a tenth or two on the powder. Use a metal rod to clear the bullet,DO NOT use a wooden dowel!

Bwana
12-29-2012, 12:30 PM
Since your "goal" is a, "super-light, quiet load" I would suggest you do a search on this site for hot glue boolits. These will allow you to make a load with a semblance of your stated goal.
On the other hand, may I also suggest you buy some reloading books and increase your knowledge of the field.

rsrocket1
12-29-2012, 03:18 PM
I hope you are seating your bullets to the max 1.169" COL with that 5.4g Unique load because anything shorter would be a compressed charge. I measured 5.4g of my particular lot of Unique and it comes to 0.2" from the top of the case (8g was a completely full case of powder). The Lee bullet you are using should be 0.595" in length and if you seat to 1.169" you are just touching the powder. Any shorter and you will see considerably higher pressures than SAAMI max.

I exchanged messages with someone who shot Trail Boss using the 70% formula and he said while it shot nice and light, it wouldn't cycle the action reliably.

I would recommend 2.5-3.0g Clays or 3.0-3.5g Red Dot for light recoiling loads. They should all easily exit the muzzle, the only question is how low can you go and reliably cycle the action and lock the slide on the last shot. Be sure to wear a hat and eye protection, the cases can land on your head or in your face if the charges get really low, but the pressures are high enough to prevent sooty cases and gas blowback in your face.

I've gone as low as 2.8g Red Dot (710fps), 2.7g Clays (712 fps) and 2.5g Titewad (707 fps)with my M&P40FS using the Lee 401-175-TC bullet and kept clean cases and 100% cycling.

With a pistol, I don't think you are going to get rid of the noise unless you go to subsonic 22LR, most of my handgun shooting is subsonic and you will always get a pretty loud bang when you shoot centerfire rounds.

BTW, I always keep a brass rod and hammer in my shooting bag. No problems with squibs. With an autoloader, removing the barrel makes driving out the bullet a piece of cake. :)

MT Gianni
12-30-2012, 01:33 AM
I have no problem with really light loads, I think that is why they make single shots. I would not try a light load in an auto pistol. If you stick one due to a bad primer of low powder with a normal load you can depend on recoil to let you know. If you have little or no recoil your main warning sign is gone.