PDA

View Full Version : Some ideas about deer

44man
12-01-2012, 02:32 PM
I have been in danger thinking again! :shock:
Been wondering why some deer have no blood trails or no blood for a distance. I wonder if shutting down the pump too quick will limit outside blood. We know a deer can go 100 yards on fumes. Seems as if it depends on where a deer is hit mostly. A few inches either way might change things at the ground.
Every deer I ever shot with an arrow has left a lot of blood, no shock. I feel it is because the heart is still pumping until it runs dry. Like a water hose, shut the pump off and nothing comes out.

boltons75
12-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Every deer I shoot with my 300 win mag has no heart left, and very little lung left. The one I just got left a painted trail for 35 yards, all that was in the chest cavity was a mashed lung heart mixture.....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

smokeywolf
12-01-2012, 03:16 PM
44man, I think your probably right, shut down the pump and no blood pressure. Also, like us, blood loss depends to a great degree on severing a main artery. Even severing a main vein can produce blood loss that approaches that of a compromised artery.

smokeywolf

jhalcott
12-01-2012, 04:20 PM
EVERY deer I've killed,no matter the weapon, has reacted differently.! Some just fell down, others took off like a turpentined cat. MOST went some distance from a few to 100's of yards. Depending on the DEER's condition at the shot, that is if it was nervous, very calm or agitated. Often they would look around for the attacker if hit with an arrow. Mule kick and run when hit with a bullet. This uncertainty of reaction is what caused ME to try to get as close as possible before the shot, preferring under 100 yards. I've had blood trails that were evident to a blind guy to nary a drop for dozens of yards. BUT that's what I call hunting.!

Jim
12-01-2012, 04:30 PM
.....Some just fell down, others took off like a turpentined cat.....

That sounds like something my grandfather would say. You have no idea how hard I laughed at that!

Hickory
12-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Every deer I shoot with my 300 win mag has no heart left, and very little lung left.

Kinda like killing flies with a sledge hammer isn't it?

Cheap Trick
12-01-2012, 05:40 PM
I once double lunged a mulie buck with a 270 win at less than 100 yards. The buck ran away at high speed. When I checked for a blood trail there wasnt any and assumed that I missed. I went back to camp and kept thinking that the picture in the scope was to good to have missed. I went back and looked a little farther and found a blood trail that a blind man could follow that started at around 80 yards from where I hit him. I soon found the buck. I believe that I knocked the breath out of him and that he never took a breath untill where the blood trail started, then it poured out draining him quickly

boltons75
12-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Kinda like killing flies with a sledge hammer isn't it?

Yeah, when I bought the rifle, I wanted one caliber I could use for any numerous appiliations. And I like my toys...

RobS
12-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Yeah, when I bought the rifle, I wanted one caliber I could use for any numerous affiliations. And I like my toys...

Nothing wrong with that.........I shoot a 375 H&H. It's great for cast boolits and if I ever wanted to shoot a J-word at upper ends I could however I doubt it. :lovebooli

44man
12-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks for input. I have nothing against what you use, after all I go to the .500 JRH!
But blood trails vary so much and in certain places we really need them. Each and every deer will be different. I shot too many where all blood stayed inside, too many that sprayed the ground.
Where I hunt every foot of ground has a deer trail that splits into two or three, then four, scuffed leaves, broken branches and tracks everywhere. There is no way to track one deer without blood. Some expert might track by the smell of the hoof print but I can't. Hard hit deer might not run a trail at all but other deer have been there. Deer do not feed trails because they are only travel routes. Most run at night because they are easier for deer to follow.
Notice a buck will rub in a line next to a trail so he can move fast with the road signs when he is hunting a doe?

MT Gianni
12-02-2012, 05:20 PM
One thing i really liked about Veral Smith's book was the chapter on bullet effect on game. Too large a wound channel and it can cauterize, too small a meplate and it can push tissue out of the way without a large disruptive wave in front of it. I don't think all game will react the same way to an identical hit, just as I might react differently to a hit from a boxer that another boxer would.