PDA

View Full Version : Thorn bushes and Laurels

Jim
12-01-2012, 11:09 AM
We went 'coon' huntin' last night. We turned the dogs out down by the river at the bottom of a pretty steep grade. In about five minutes, Susie and Jasper struck a scent and cranked up. Murphy showed up and the dogs treed about half way up that steep grade.

Ya' can't just stand there waitin' on 'em to come down 'cause they'll stay right there all night. So, we started up. We got to the bottom of the grade and ran into a big tangle of thorn bushes. Nice. Nothin' like startin' off gettin' scratched up real good by a bunch of 2 inch needle thorns.

After crawlin' under the thorns, we got to where the grade starts and had to crawl through the Laurels. The grade looked to be about 45 degrees.

The grade was littered with dead leaves, so we slid back about a step for every two we crawled up. After about 15 minutes of this, we got to the dogs. They were treed on a huge Red Oak that turned out to be a den tree. The 'coon was in a hole about 40 feet up, so all we could do was catch the dogs and leave. All of the above in reverse order.

Sometimes I think I need my head examined.

oneokie
12-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Could have been saw briars and blackberry canes.

Wayne Smith
12-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Jim, by thorns I think you mean Virginia Creeper? Awful stuff, that. At least you know what area to avoid or the dogs will tree that den tree every time!

Jim
12-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Virginia Creeper is a thornless vine that a lot of people mistake for poison ivy. These thorn bushes are woody shrubs that grow to around ten feet and the thorns are up to just over two inches long. Trust me, you don't go through 'em, you go around.

Rick N Bama
12-01-2012, 02:51 PM
And that Jim is exactly the reason I went Coon hunting ......once:veryconfu

Rick

Jim
12-01-2012, 05:31 PM
And that Jim is exactly the reason I went Coon hunting ......once:veryconfu

Rick

Aah, ya' big sissy! If ya' can't run with th' big dogs, STAY ON THE PORCH!! :kidding: :bigsmyl2:

Rick N Bama
12-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Aah, ya' big sissy! If ya' can't run with th' big dogs, STAY ON THE PORCH!! :kidding: :bigsmyl2:

Yeah I kinda guess I am:-? Didn't take me long to figure out that Fox hunting was the only type I wanted to do at night:) Campfire, syrup bucket coffee & lots of lies.....now that's my style.

Rick

Jim
12-01-2012, 06:03 PM
We ain't got no 'syrup bucket coffee' an' we sure as hang ain't buildin' no fires. As for the liein' contests, we hold world heavyweight tournaments every time we go. 'Course, you KNOW who's got the belt, right?:bigsmyl2: