PDA

View Full Version : EAA witness or CZ75

historicfirearms
12-01-2012, 10:41 AM
I saw a nice looking eaa witness in .40 sw at a local gunship yesterday. I have been looking for a cz75 in .40 so this one caught my eye. The eaa was the series 88 with the smaller frame and wonder finish. It seemed like a well put together gun but I don't know about the Tanfoglio built guns. I've had mixed results with Italian guns so I didn't buy the gun on the spot. CZ's are pretty hard to find in my part of Michigan so I am tempted to give the eaa a try. Anyone shot a witness a bunch and can recommend or talk me out of one?

Mr Peabody
12-01-2012, 11:01 AM
I've got no complaints with Tanfoglio. Had a .45 acp and a 9x19. Very reliable

Haggway
12-01-2012, 11:31 AM
I have a CZ75 B in 40 sw. I love it. No problems with it or my other one.

ReloaderFred
12-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Tanfoglio guns are high quality. I've got a boatload of them in .22 LR, 9x19, 9x21, 9x23, 9x25 Dillon, .38 Super, 357 Sig, .40 S&W, 10mm, .41 AE, and .45 acp. They use good steel in their guns, if that's what you're worried about.

Hope this helps.

Fred

scattershot
12-01-2012, 12:30 PM
I hav e the very pistol you are looking at. I have no complaints with mine. Just make sure you don't overpay for it. They seem to go for pretty reasonable around here. I bought mine used for $325.00 a couple of years ago, IIRC. The small frame is a lot more comfortable to me than the larger frame .

I probably should add, that I had a CZ75, too, and experienced "trigger slap" to such an extent that it was painful after a few rounds. May have been just the one pistol, but just thought I'd add the comment.

historicfirearms
12-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the advice everybody. I've had a couple Uberti guns that were junk so Italian guns scare me a little. The dealer is asking $395 with two mags. The gun also has a set of adjustable target sights that were added. Perhaps it is a little overpriced but he is willing to give me a fair trade value on a Ruger standard pistol I no longer need.

dualsport
12-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Another happy Tanfoglio owner here. I'd trust mine in a bad situation. It's a 9mm/.41AE.

W.R.Buchanan
12-01-2012, 05:21 PM
I had a CZ40P which was a special purchase from the Chech Govt. .40 S&W but a decocker model. Paid $329 from J&G Sales in 05. Sold it for $625 in 07!

I could shoot it now, but it is way too busy a gun to try to learn with . The decocker is a PITA and if you reholster without decocking you have no safety engaged (there is no saftey you must decock) and a 2.5LB trigger . A regular CZ 75 is a single action just like a 1911 so you can carry it C&L which is alot better way to do it.

I did a trigger job on mine and installed a steel guide rod for the main spring. The gun was accurate and shot well, but the first few shots of any given session would always yeild some significant trigger slap. You learn real quick to trap the trigger on those guns.

The double action trigger pull on mine was about 8 lbs but the problem is you have to learn two trigger pulls, and the first one is always heavy and inaccurate.

A good gun for after you know how to run a defensive pistol, but not a beginners gun by any means. (I switched to Glocks)

They are very well made! excellent firearms! I have heard the TZ's are just as good.

Randy

walltube
12-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Thumbs up for Tanfoglio\EAA Witness.

I have two, a 9mm Parabelum and .45ACP. The 9mm was bought with a longer bbl. and twin chamber compensator for plate matches. A simple trigger smoothing job was all needed to my satisfaction. The .45's trigger received the same treatment. Very smooth and predictable.

These pistols may be carried safety engaged, cocked and locked. Or at half cock with safety engaged. They are well built and are of very good quality. The only machineing marks found are inside, not out where they detract from their appearance.

Yes I am very happy with my two examples. The cops in my family only wish they were allowed as their duty weapon. The males in particular like the .45ACP version.

Well, there you have my opinion and I do not think you will be disappointed with an EAA.

Y.T.,
Wt.

Bullwolf
12-02-2012, 01:24 AM
I really love my older Tanfoglio TZ 75.

One of my good shooting buddies has a newer CZ-USA CZ 75B chambered in .40 S&W that he absolutely adores. I have fired it often, and we hand load for the CZ 75B quite a bit as well. It's quite the shooter. If I was going to pick up yet another .40 S&W handgun, it would likely be the CZ 75B.

If you want to do your own caliber conversions later on down the road, I think buying a large frame EAA Witness would be a better choice, since changing calibers with them is pretty straight forward. Every time I see a good deal on a new EAA Witness I am surely tempted. It took all of my willpower to walk away from a 10mm Witness at a local gun shop the other day.

I have had nothing but excellent customer service from CZ USA, while I have had some spotty customer service from EAA in the past. If you have to deal with an EAA problem, or end up ordering any parts from them that may be something to consider. I have heard that EAA has been getting better lately though.

- Bullwolf

9.3X62AL
12-02-2012, 02:17 AM
I think very highly of my CZ-75B in 40 S&W. In terms of cast boolit usage, it features a 1-16" rifling twist rate--far lead-friendlier than the usual 1-10" or 4 turns/meter pitches given to 9mm and 40 S&W pistols. I can't comment with actual experience on the Tanfoglio examples, or how closely they follow CZ specs on their CZ-75 knock-offs.

bobthenailer
12-02-2012, 04:26 PM
I have a TZ75 in 9mm and my BIL has one in 9mm with a 40 cal conversion kit all have several thousands of rounds through them with no problems ! A HINT change the hammer & trigger springs with WOLFE reduced power springs and if you have any problems with extraction also order the extra power extractor spring as this was sometimes a weak link with these guns.

dualsport
12-31-2012, 02:32 AM
Anybody know the twist rate of a 1980's 9mm Tanfoglio? I've tried to measure it but it's tough to get a reliable measurement. Thanks.

OldFotoMan
02-08-2013, 01:57 AM
I'm not sure of the twist rate, but can tell you the quality on the Tanfoglio is first rate, actually much better than the CZ guns. Do a web search on them and you will find several articles by gun experts praising their quality. I have a TZ75 series 88 combo gun with the 41AE and the 9mm barrels.

I haven't watched the 40 cal guns sell, but I've been watching what the 9s and 41s have actually been selling for since I'm going to sell mine.
Seems the 9s have been selling in the $400-500 range and the 41s in the $450-550. The combo guns seem to bring about an extra $100. These are for the TZ75 series guns. I know the witness usually sells for a little less, but my guess would be if it's under $400, it should be worth considering.

The only reason I decided to let mine go is that it's just a little to large to fit my short fingered hands comfortably, so I bought a compact size with a single stack mag that fits me better. But I certainly have no complaints and have never heard any on the quality of the Tanfoglio pistols.

landers
02-08-2013, 09:40 PM
I have owned my Tanfoglio\EAA Witness 9mm since the first magazine ban went into affect under Clinton and have nothing but good things to say about it, its reliable and very accurate. I don't believe you would be disappointed in it as long as it fits and feels good in the hand.

gunfan
02-09-2013, 02:14 AM
the Tanfoglio Witness is a fine pistol, you'll pay less for it than you would the CZ-75. the CZ is a fine arm as well. There are some that will argue that the CZ is better, (fit/finish a be a bit tighter and smoother) but I happen to know that the Witness will serve you with equal efficiency.

The final choice is up to you.

(BTW, I have a Tanfoglio Witness chambered for the 10mm Auto Pistol cartridge, in their proprietary "Wonderfinish.")

Scott

gunfan
02-09-2013, 02:20 AM
I forgot to mention that I have a nickel-plated Tanfoglio FIE "Titan" in .32 ACP that I deeply cherish. (It is so accurate and so much fun!)

Scott

CuZ
02-09-2013, 03:28 AM
I have a couple CZ 75B's and they are good reliable pistols. Unfortunately, the basic models come with lousy triggers and sights that will need replacing. I picked up my first Tanfoglio a few months ago and it is sweet... no mods required. Enjoy.

casca
02-09-2013, 04:02 AM
Tz is a great gun, one of the best knock offs out there kinda like is it live or memorex

would you rather kiss your sister or a super model

GabbyM
02-09-2013, 05:06 AM
S&W K frame in 38 Special.

I've retired my 9mm's.

HATCH
02-09-2013, 08:40 AM
I have a Tanfoglio Witness chambered for the 10mm Auto Pistol cartridge, in their proprietary "Wonderfinish."

Scott

Is the chamber fully supported??
how you like it?

gunfan
02-09-2013, 01:33 PM
I haven't noticed any case bulges with my Witness. I like my Witness, but did replace the fixed rear sights with a set that is adjustable. Replacing the recoil spring, raising the resistance to 18 pounds on the 10mm (from Wolff) will help prevent launching brass into the next county.

Scott

OldFotoMan
02-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Many people who consider the Tanfoglio a clone of the CZ simply do not understand the old European market system. Until recently, most European countries would not allow a company to produce in their country unless it was owned in that country. So most companies licensed factories in other countries to build their products under their own name. Just like Colt licensing Remington, Ithica, etc. to build 1911s here when they could not produce enough. Remember the war years? So these guns were not really clones, but originally were actually licensed by the original companies to be built in these their countries. Just like Fiat in the auto industry. They are the 3rd largest auto company in the world. Many folks don't know this because they don't know that Fiat owns and licenses many brands in other countries, such as the Lada in Russia, the Brava in Canada, the Yugo in Yugoslavia, and dozens of others. Today, since the advent of the European Trade Union, many of these companies are now owned and produce independently from the original makers, but they were originally licensed by them. So I'm not sure these earlier guns qualify as "clones" since they were licensed extensions from or by the original company.

If you want a really good idea of the quality of the Tanfiglio compared to the CZ, read the article by noted gun writer Chuck Hawks. http://www.chuckhawks.com/tz-75.htm

DX250
02-09-2013, 11:48 PM
I have a 10mm that gets a steady diet of mid to upper end loads with no problems. Yes the chamber is supported.

gunfan
02-10-2013, 12:36 AM
I have a 10mm that gets a steady diet of mid to upper end loads with no problems. Yes the chamber is supported.

How old is your Witness?

DX250
02-11-2013, 12:37 AM
My current one was made in 2008, I did have a 80's era 9mm 41AE combo that had to have 50,000 plus thousand down the pipe with out any breakages.

9.3X62AL
02-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Interesting info, Foto Man. Thanks for that.

Grey Area, I'd say your 80's combo has more than proven its quality.

I was kinda bent outta shape when my old agency tightened up CCW rules for retirees in the wake of HR 218 regs. That CZ-75B x 40 Short & Weak was a fine carry arm, when it and my S&W 10mm got the "thumbs-down" for authorization I felt like I was walking around with one shoe off. I was on final approach to a Glock 20 when that occurred. I REALLY like the 10mm. I still might get a G-20, anyway.

gunfan
02-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Interesting info, Foto Man. Thanks for that.

Grey Area, I'd say your 80's combo has more than proven its quality.

I was kinda bent outta shape when my old agency tightened up CCW rules for retirees in the wake of HR 218 regs. That CZ-75B x 40 Short & Weak was a fine carry arm, when it and my S&W 10mm got the "thumbs-down" for authorization I felt like I was walking around with one shoe off. I was on final approach to a Glock 20 when that occurred. I REALLY like the 10mm. I still might get a G-20, anyway.

Yep, the 10mm is a fine cartridge. That old Agency didn't engage in much "think power" did it? Get yourself a Glock 20 and a 6" barrel for recreational use and enjoy life.

9.3X62AL
02-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Concern about closer Federal oversight of quals procedures was the basis of the rule-tightening. That hasn't resulted, actually. But nonetheless, retirees now must carry within the same guidelines as active duty personnel. Not the end of the world.