PDA

View Full Version : Just how bad is frosty?

fanner 50
06-21-2007, 10:59 AM
:Fire: I am having a lot of fun casting my own. I am curently fighting the big C and find that the time I spend preparing to cast and all takes my mind off all other things. I am going to build a 303 Brit Scout rifle for my grandson(don't have a grandson yet) in case I don't ever get to show him how to shoot and hunt his dad can tell him his grandpa made him this rifle and ammo. Anyway I have noticed that when my castings come out shiney they are not sharp and when they come out a little frosty they are sharp and clean. I have my own version of hardness testing, I set a ready to shoot sample on an anvel and hit it as hard as possible with a 2# sledge. I go for no more than 50% compression and no seperation. If they stand up to that I figure they will work. So far so good and I didn't have to spend any money on a tester I already had the sledge. I am using Lee molds and spray them with "drop out" before a casting session. I don't mind the frosty look but I would like to know what might be the cause. I am mixing wheel weights with a piece of 95.5 solder and like I said the bullets work just fine. Inquireing minds want to know! Thanks in advance and for all the other help I have received in getting started. -

Sincerly - F50

Freightman
06-21-2007, 11:22 AM
A little to hot is why they are frostie! I do not care that mine are frostie as long as they hit where I aim. I judge a boolit by the fill out and the sharpness of the base, I believe that the base is the most critical part of a boolit if it fills out properley the rest will more than lickley be ok.

454PB
06-21-2007, 11:35 AM
I purposely keep the temperature high enough to produce light frosting on my WW alloy boolits, it assures me that they fill out well. It doesn't hurt a thing, and if you want them shiny, the frosting can be polished off after they are seated in the case.

Good luck with your health problems!

Dale53
06-21-2007, 11:46 AM
MY experience is if the bullet is "frosty" all over it doesn't hurt a thing. However, if it is frosty in a localized area it generally indicates a "low spot" - not good.

Frosty all over just tells you that the temp is a bit too high. I generally aim for just below that condition. Keep in mind that the alloy will determine what temp that "frosty" will occur. Different alloys get frosty at different temperatures.

Dale53

bishopgrandpa
06-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Frosty hurts nothing as has been said and I think they look better than shiny. Each to his own. They will shoot fine.

Andy_P
06-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Adding 2% tin would probably give you the fill-out you need at a temperature that won't frost the bullet, but as said, the frosting doesn't hurt anything but their appearance.

jonk
06-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Could also be the mold release agent; too much of it will coat the mold with graphite resulting in a frosted appearence as well, and lack of sharpness. Which is why I HATE the stuff.

1Shirt
06-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Paco Kelly seems to think that frosting in the grooves helps lub to adhere to the blt. I tend to agree. Not very scientific, but think it is somewhat logical.
1Shirt!:coffee:

wills
06-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Bad Frosty
http://www.prawnsoda.co.uk/illustration/images/frosty1.gif

ron brooks
06-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Wills, :-)