PDA

View Full Version : 44 mag and hogs

tcbnick
11-30-2012, 09:28 PM
I've been invited to a hog hunt in south Arkansas, now never hunted hogs I have a boolit ?. I have gotten into hunting with my SRH 44 mag using a Miha H&G 503, alloy being 50/50 ww to pure, with hollow points, I've harvisted a few deer always bang flop. But on hogs will this boolit and alloy work? what about the hollow point good or bad. On a side note if I change to solid will my poi change alot?

Blammer
11-30-2012, 09:38 PM
I suspect the HP's your using will work just dandy on hogs.

If you change to a solid, leaving all else the same. It MAY shoot to the same POI, I'd hazard a guess it may be a tad lower.

Thumbcocker
12-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Let us know how you make out.

L1A1Rocker
12-01-2012, 10:58 PM
IIRC, for a heart shot on a hog you need to aim a lot lower than for a deer.

x101airborne
12-02-2012, 09:47 AM
IIRC, for a heart shot on a hog you need to aim a lot lower than for a deer.

Not only that, but the heart is almost centered between the front legs.
Your HP's will work great. The solids will work also, but chances are, you probably wont be shooting hogs over 300 pounds and those are the ones that have the shield on their chests. Have faith and happy hunting.

Lefty SRH
12-02-2012, 09:59 AM
With out starting the whole HP vs. solid debate you #503 mold will do just fine! Personally speaking I'd ditch the HP option and hunt with solids for hogs. That boolit has PLENTY of meplat and with that alloy will still "rivet" plenty.
Good luck

tcbnick
12-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Just alittle info:
with the miha mould I got all 3 hollow pins, so last night I made up 10 of each, penta, large HP, small HP, and solids. Went out this morning ad shot into abox of wet paper that I through together and the results. Penta did'nt really hold together to well, large mushroomed pretty good, small about the same, solids alittle less but still not bad. Now weight retaintion was the best with the solids but there was no differance with the small HP, the other two lost some. Right now I'm thinking I'll go with the small HP. With my Micky Mouse test the small seamed to the best for this applacation. And by the way, at 50yds there was very little POI change that I could tell.
Thanks Nick

TXGunNut
12-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Sounds like you're ready to go hunting! Have fun & take pics.

12-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Good luck. Hogs are so much fun.

x101airborne
12-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Two weeks ago, I popped a small hog with my nitevision rifle.
Cooked it yesterday on the pit for pulled pork sammiches.
Wife liked it so much she wants to go hog hunting this weekend.
Personally, unless you are going for a wall hanger, I would shoot the smaller ones first.

Fenring
12-07-2012, 08:17 PM
IMO as a hog hunter, you are good to go. :)

Crawdaddy
12-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Two weeks ago, I popped a small hog with my nitevision rifle.
Cooked it yesterday on the pit for pulled pork sammiches.
Wife liked it so much she wants to go hog hunting this weekend.
Personally, unless you are going for a wall hanger, I would shoot the smaller ones first.

X2 on this. The smaller they are the better they seem to taste. Don't get me wrong, I'll eat a 300 pounder but really enjoy the smaller ones more.

A 44 mag is a good round but Bang flops are not a given with a hog. If you are near thick brush there is a good chance you might have to go get him. Be careful. I have had two die at my feet.

Your choice in boolits should be just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD