PDA

View Full Version : Castror oil grease boolit lube ready made.

madman
11-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Howdy all. I ran across this stuff it is called Val-Tex. I went to the web site and they recomend to avoid oxidizing agents. I am asuming that they are talking acids. I remember the old days of running castor oil in the ols 2 strokes for racing, and man did it smell good. This stukk has a working rane of -20deg F to 500degF. It is made for natural gas high pressure valve lube, Any body have any Ideas. I was looking for a lube to use on aceatal plastic for my sabot expearments. I thought I woud try this stuff on some 44, 357 and 45-70 boolits to see waht happens.

geargnasher
11-30-2012, 07:39 PM
The oxidizer warning is typical of any product containing flammable hydrocarbons that might potentially be used in direct contact with concentrated or pure oxygen, such as industrial valves and welding equipment. Pipe dope containing flammable linseed or petroleum oil is dangerous to use for breathing or welding oxygen tanks/valves/gauges/fittings, so special non-flammable dope must be used. Since the reaction of smokeless powder is stoichiometric, and the powder contains both fuel and oxidizer, boolit lube is relatively unaffected because there isn't much oxygen in the barrel during the firing event with which to react, otherwise it would get burned up by the heat. By the time fresh air makes it into the barrel after the boolit exit, the fire is gone. Short version is don't worry about it as long as it doesn't soften the plastic sabots.

As a lube, you'll have to judge the suitability by feel. Valve packing greases are typically extremely viscous so they stay put and don't leak under high pressure. Runfiverun has some experience with such packing grease and has even experimented with some glycol-based stuff as a boolit lube, I'm sure he'll weigh in on this in a bit.

Gear

runfiverun
11-30-2012, 10:25 PM
they could also be talking about sulphides.
in oil field use many valves are specially built and lubed for hydrogen sulphide use only.
these valves are usually painted bright lime [zombie lube] green.
sulpher is also an oxygenator [think black powder]
a lot of valve lubes also have heat/cold restrictions because of their ingredients.
these are mentioned not only because of ambient temperatures but because of the temp of the fluids being pumped [like molten sulpher] or flow back valves for wells they will see 300+f [under ground] temps.

madman
12-01-2012, 09:07 PM
This stuff comes in a stick wraped with clear biodedradeable plastic I am lubeing some NOE 44 mag HP 200 Gr in the sizer now I will not get a chance to get to the range until Monday. Man does this stuff smell good. Thanks gear. I knew about the Oxygen issues. Runfiverrun they make a nothe lube that had an "S" after the product nomber for the kinds of chemicals that you mentioned. Aceatal plastic is tough and hard cutts great with a lathe and it makes great seal and bushing drivers.

runfiverun
12-01-2012, 10:23 PM
if you go to the piper industries web sight you can most likely find your lube there.
i have used valve lube as boolit lube many times and it works well.
i still have a box of poly glycol bases valve lube i will shoot with no issues from time to time i also have about 20 sticks of moly valve lube i use to make moly complex lube with.