PDA

View Full Version : First Smelting Week

SgtDog0311
11-30-2012, 06:45 PM
I bought most of this (300+lbs) for $49 from a fellah cleaning out a house who sells "stuff" at his antique store. Just lucked out with the right timing that day. I added another 100-150 lbs of wheel weights (for another $29) and finally got it transported back to Oklahoma where I'm learning with the help of a gent who has three safes full of guns, all of which he casts for. I knew I had found a treasure in a friend when he told me he had not bought a bullet in 30 years. I try not to make a nuisance of myself on the phone and he's patient for a fellah who is 70 years young. (I believe he is hunting today:-))

So this was my first six batches, all done last week. Six batches I say due to the variety of lead I found. And now I have 412 lbs of lead in ingots and muffins all segregated.

And since I’m new to casting I have now got to concentrate on molds. So far I only have an Accurate mold for the 375, and the 45/70. Next up is my 45 Colt. The Marlin 1894 really likes the Ranch Dog 290gr 454 bullet but I understand those are no longer available from Ranch Dog, and I'd like to go with grease grooves anyway, instead of tumble lube grooves. Thinking I’d like to have an LBT mold but still doing lots of reading and surfing.

There is a list of other calibers as well but I started with the big bores in the rack so the rest 35REM, 32 Spl, 30-30 and 32-20 will have to wait till funds for molds are available.

Been quite a learning week. Now I have to learn a boatload about mixing for the hardness I'm after. Lots of soft lead here so other than the wheel weights, there is still some work to do.

John

RED333
11-30-2012, 07:21 PM
That is a great deal, I hate you [smilie=s:.
Good looking stuff, working with lead is a bit hard on the lungs, I see you use a
thermometer. Keep the temp down and get the zinc out before it gets to hot.
I cut my WW before I put them in the pot, I can cut lead, I can not cut zinc.
That way I know what is what.
Keep up the good work and Be Safe.

SgtDog0311
11-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks Red333. I had my snips with me after reading that on this forum. Took me ten or twenty lbs before I got good at recognition. Only pulled one steel weight out of the pot that got by me, which I kept as close to 600 degrees as I could. Don't know how many pages I've read here on Cast Boolits since last May. Tons of help!!!

David2011
11-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Sgt,

Nice! You have a great start and a treasure in your friend who will guide you. Welcome to CASTBOOLITS!

David

SgtDog0311
12-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the welcome David... been a member for about a year but first post had to be something significant :-)

cbrick
12-01-2012, 12:41 PM
And since I’m new to casting I have now got to concentrate on molds. There is a list of other calibers as well but I started with the big bores in the rack so the rest 35REM, 32 Spl, 30-30 and 32-20 will have to wait till funds for molds are available. John

The 35 Rem should really like the RCBS 35 200.
My 30-30 loves several boolits but it usually gets the RCBS 180 SPGC.
The 32-20 (and my 30 Carbine) gets quite upset with me if I give it anything other than the Lyman 311410. There is a group buy going on right now for this boolit from MP in 2 or 4 cav with cramer style pins in two HP pin depths and pins for a solid point. You might want to step up for this while it's available.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?167692-MiHec-311410-Brass-Cramer-HP

Rick

SgtDog0311
12-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Rick, Thanks for the tip(s)... I'd love to grab a 32-20, probably more than all the others. Problem is the action and bore are bound for J.Taylor's for reline. No way to know what size I'd need till I get it back in about 4-6 months. Might shoot JT a message to see if he'd know for sure. Thanks Again. I don't know a lot about molds but you mention a lot of features I'll go acquaint myself with. John

cbrick
12-01-2012, 04:12 PM
SgtDog, here's another tip for you. Download the following FREE book, print it out & read. Might want to share it with the young feller helping you out. This book is one of the best things to happen with boolit casting since the mold.

From Ingot To Target by Glen E. Fryxell (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf)

A couple more links with tons of articles & bullet casting info.

The most complete index to Glen E. Fryxell articles in the internet (http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesFryxell.htm)

Cast Bullet Notes (http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm)

That should keep you busy for awhile. :mrgreen:

Rick

johnnybar
12-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Where you located in Oklahoma? I am up by Grand Lake near Copeland. Might come up with a local shoot if we have a few interested.

SgtDog0311
12-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Johnnybar, I like your part of Oklahoma. I've only been there once, unless you counted driving through. I'm smack dab in the middle. South OKC.

cbrick, Thanks for the tip. I'll do it!

shadygrady
12-04-2012, 12:48 PM
send all that zinc to me when you get a 40 lb flat rate box full