PDA

View Full Version : Ebay deal

Newtire
06-20-2007, 11:38 PM
I just though I'd post a pic of the mold/tool I picked up off Ebay. Amazingly enough, it casts a pretty decent little 105 gr. slug at .313". A little small for my H & R but maybe my new Ruger .32. Anyone have any experience with this boolit? I de-rusted the mold and it is looking pretty nice although someone was a little unkind to it in it's last term of useage. One can never have too many little boolit molds around the 30-32 cal range I think.

chevyiron420
06-21-2007, 01:29 AM
newtire, is that a old lyman tool? it neat!! whats the other part on the handle for?-phil[smilie=2:

Newtire
06-21-2007, 08:09 AM
Hi Phil,
It is an old Lyman tool marked Ideal. The part on the handle is either a sizer or boolit seater but no instructions so don't know. I will see if someone else knows and can chime in.

dubber123
06-21-2007, 04:45 PM
I'm not sure if you can deprime with them, but you can cast, size, re-prime, seat and crimp all with one tool. I fooled with one in .32 S&W for a while, and they make pretty good ammo. Wear a good glove when casting with them, as they start dropping good bullets about the time the metal handles get hot enough to remove your fingerprints. Floodgate is the resident expert on these things, and I bet you'll hear from him soon.

floodgate
06-22-2007, 12:11 AM
Newtire:

That looks like an old Ideal No. 4 in .32-20. The mould looks like #31111 (100 grs.), for the Marlin / Colt version of the .32 WCF.* The mould alignment peg shows it as made after 1902, when that was added, and before 1910, after which they were made by and marked "Marlin". The third station is for bullet sizing, and they originally came with a little drop-in decapping plug which also ironed out any residual crimp - these are almost always missing, but Bill Loos can make a replacement for it.

floodgate

* I could be wrong; it could also be .32 S&W Long / Colt "New Police", with the very similar mould #31357, but these were usually the No. 1 tool, without the bullet sizer. See if you can find a caliber stamp, usually on the side near the loading chamber.

Newtire
06-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Floodgate,
Looks like you nailed it on the head. I see the date '04 and the caliber is 32-20. Pretty nice tool to last 100 + yrs. and still work. Thatnks for the info. I will let you know how they shoot.