PDA

View Full Version : Penetration plus

44man
11-30-2012, 02:12 PM
I just found the exit hole on my strange deer that I shot with the BFR .475.
The deer was angled downhill a little so the neck shot went into the body, smashed ribs under the back strap and came out the rear of the ham.
There was no meat loss at all, just a little bloodshot around the hole. 5495254953

subsonic
11-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Just to make sure I understand you, the picture with the hide on is the entrance behind the left shoulder and the then it exited on the same side or opposite side ham? Is that lower picture the ham?

Did you notice much hair in the wounds?

44man
11-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Just to make sure I understand you, the picture with the hide on is the entrance behind the left shoulder and the then it exited on the same side or opposite side ham? Is that lower picture the ham?

Did you notice much hair in the wounds?
No, entrance is center neck. See the strap around his neck and the ear? Hair was in the entrance but we never cut that spot, just removed good meat from the neck. That part of the neck is the windpipe, etc.
Takes accuracy to hit the center of that neck that far. The reason to find accuracy, not load to max.
Accuracy is always king.
The right picture is the ham, exit a few inches from the butt hole. Darn near a perfect in line hole all the way through. I suppose I was 3" off dead center at exit. Deers fault!

subsonic
11-30-2012, 09:41 PM
I gotcha. The entrance hole is a few inches "under his chin".

The picture was throwing me off. I thought the area up by the strap was a front leg. No wonder the proportions looked weird.

shredder
11-30-2012, 10:14 PM
That is what I thought too. Now that I look again I can see it much better.

RED333
11-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Yea, blame the deer for a poor shot, I see how you are. :coffee:
Dadburn POWERFUL round all the way from neck to rear, cool!!!

**oneshot**
11-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Your 475 acted just like my muzzle loader deer 2 years ago. Head on shot a hair off head on, shot entered neck took the top of the lungs, through the liver, missed the stomach, smashed into and broke a 4inch section of ham bone. Slug was in the back of the ham. Pretty much a straight line. had it not hit the bone it would look just like yours above. Almost no meat lost in the ham.
I was amazed at the penetration of the slug.

waksupi
11-30-2012, 10:30 PM
A very good example of what an exit wound with a cast boolit SHOULD look like.

44man
12-01-2012, 10:02 AM
I love the .475! I love muzzle loaders and they are amazing. Oneshot is right.
The load for my .475 is a WD, WW boolit, my 420 gr. 26 gr of 296, Fed 155 primer at 1329.1 fps. The meplat is 80-82%, I forget.
Today is the last day for buck or doe and I slept in. I will go out this afternoon with a friend. Next week is ML, then doe seasons in Dec.
I need to go to Wall Mart, Carol wants a camera to see what is eating all her bird seed at night. It is just deer! Seen a 6 point walk behind the wood bin this morning.