PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Targets...

ArrowJ
11-30-2012, 10:30 AM
I save all my pill bottles. Would it be safe to mix the catalyst in to the exploding target material and then dispense it into several of these for lots of small bangs instead of one large one?

rockrat
11-30-2012, 10:48 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would make sure the threads are clean before you cap them and take them all downrange and put them where you want them(Don't leave them on the bench next to you while you are shooting!!)

Gar
11-30-2012, 11:06 AM
I've been using empty primer sleeves boxes, just putting tape across the two open sides.
The size is just right for 100 yard targets, uses much less mixture and go off with just enough bang to let you know they were hit.

ArrowJ
12-01-2012, 03:53 PM
I've been using empty primer sleeves boxes, just putting tape across the two open sides.
The size is just right for 100 yard targets, uses much less mixture and go off with just enough bang to let you know they were hit.

That is a great idea!

cloakndagger
12-10-2012, 08:02 PM
My favorite thing to do is put them in a pocket made of packing tape, three pieces wide, you just spdinkle it in and put three more pieces on top to seal everything ravioli style, them I set up a multiple bullseye target board and tape it randomly behind one of the eyes. Makes for interesting rifle plinking with my friends. Realy if I am up to snuff on my chemistry, anything that can hold a critical mass of the stuff in together will make for great booms. You should try a 300 yd shot at 35 pounds of the stuff (after you let your leo buddies know not to respond to reports of explosions)... we do it at our church rifle shoot every year, the oldest shooter gets a shot, then ic he misses, youngest gets a shot, then 2nd oldest, 2nd youngest etc... (although weve never gone to the etc..)

Boneguru
12-11-2012, 06:08 PM
we have had success with the pill bottle method, dog with lots troubles and the bottles are great for just enough bang

Milsurp Junkie
12-11-2012, 10:20 PM
All Tannerite is a binary mixture of aluminum powder and ammonium nitrate prills. The instant cold packs are ammonium nitrate prills and a bag of water. I will leave it as an exercise to the reader on how to make the fine flake aluminum powder and what the exact ratios are. I have been tempted to buy/make some, but I have been too busy with work and family to do so.

jmorris
12-18-2012, 10:48 AM
http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/iB_html/uploads/post-54-41765-HomeMade_Tannerite.pdf