PDA

View Full Version : Powder, primer storage

softpoint
11-30-2012, 10:13 AM
I want to store a quantity of powder and some primers, maybe some loaded shotshells in and out building that doesn't have a controlled atmosphere. I have a large locking steel box, but was wondering what to put in it to avoid condensation. Line the inside with plywood? Use a couple of those cheap styrofoam ice chests inside the box? The climate here isn't extreme, (except for summer heat!), but there is humidity.

Sakdog
11-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Why not ammo cans? 20MM ammo can works good. You can probably through ebay or elsewhere find Silica gel W/indicating beads which IMO is good for keeping the IN-can conditions dry and can be re-used after dried in the oven for a bit (low temp).
If you really want to get hard core.. you can fit 2 normal "50 cal" ammo cans and 1 30 cal ammo can inside a 20mm can.. double protection. you could ensure dryness in a swamp this way.

softpoint
11-30-2012, 01:42 PM
This steel box is tight, not as airtight as ammo cans, but I'm wondering if insulating it would help. It is pretty big, about 18" tall, 48"wide and 24" front to back. 3/16"plate. I intend on fillin' er up

ukrifleman
11-30-2012, 03:37 PM
I want to store a quantity of powder and some primers, maybe some loaded shotshells in and out building that doesn't have a controlled atmosphere. I have a large locking steel box, but was wondering what to put in it to avoid condensation. Line the inside with plywood? Use a couple of those cheap styrofoam ice chests inside the box? The climate here isn't extreme, (except for summer heat!), but there is humidity.

The first thing I would say is, storing powder and primers in a steel container is basically making a bomb!
I would suggest keeping the powder and primers in separate wooden containers for safety, lined with cork or polystyrene for insulation.
ukrifleman.

softpoint
11-30-2012, 03:51 PM
The first thing I would say is, storing powder and primers in a steel container is basically making a bomb!
I would suggest keeping the powder and primers in separate wooden containers for safety, lined with cork or polystyrene for insulation.
ukrifleman.
Only if someone detonates it. They aren't sensitive. The only way there could be a problem is if someone tries to defeat the lock or hinges with a torch or grinder. And if they do that, I will print them out a Darwin award. When I worked for Shell Oil on their seismic exploration crew, it was required to keep explosives in a wood lined, enclosed steel trailer, securely locked, and parked outside the city limits. I'm not sure that that was the law, but it was Shell's rule.And what we had in that trailer was FAR more exciting than smokeless powder!
I'm satisfied that the location is pretty safe from tampering, just interested in the best long term storage options. Some primers, powder, shotgun shells, maybe some rimfire ammo. I just want to keep it from deteriorating.

farmerjim
11-30-2012, 03:59 PM
I am loading some 9mm and 44 mag with primers and powder that were stored in cardboard boxes in a Louisiana house attic for 35 years and then in a barn for ten more. Not a single failure in over 1,000 so far.

hithard
11-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Don't forget the use of those big zip lock bags, Their cheap and work, reusable.

oneokie
11-30-2012, 04:28 PM
Styrofoam can build a static electrical charge. You would need to put a liner in the styrofoam chests to avoid static electrical charges/discharges.

This steel box is tight, not as airtight as ammo cans, but I'm wondering if insulating it would help. It is pretty big, about 18" tall, 48"wide and 24" front to back. 3/16"plate. I intend on fillin' er up

By the time you add insulation to the inside of the steel box and then install a liner, you would be running out of room.

Only if someone detonates it. They aren't sensitive. The only way there could be a problem is if someone tries to defeat the lock or hinges with a torch or grinder. And if they do that, I will print them out a Darwin award. When I worked for Shell Oil on their seismic exploration crew, it was required to keep explosives in a wood lined, enclosed steel trailer, securely locked, and parked outside the city limits. I'm not sure that that was the law, but it was Shell's rule.And what we had in that trailer was FAR more exciting than smokeless powder!
I'm satisfied that the location is pretty safe from tampering, just interested in the best long term storage options. Some primers, powder, shotgun shells, maybe some rimfire ammo. I just want to keep it from deteriorating.
Primers are sensitive to shock and static electricity. Locks on dynamite boxes can be defeated with either a torch or a grinder if someone is determined. The wood lining in that trailer was for the prevention of static electric charges. And I would hazard a guess that the steel trailer walls were less than 3/16" thick.

Roundnoser
11-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Yes, zip lock bags would be a good idea. Even tupperware style containers.

What about caulking the seams of your box and/or using a gasket around the lid to make it air tight?.

hithard
11-30-2012, 05:47 PM
I use an old wood hutch, weather stripping on the doors and a bungee cord to keep them shut.

I have one keg that is 30 years old. Ya it takes along time to go through 12lbs of 700x using it in 38spl.

HATCH
11-30-2012, 06:18 PM
You need to follow the federal guidlines

14.3.7.1 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 9.1
kg (20 lb) shall be permitted to be stored in original containers in residences.

14.3.7.2 Quantites exceeding 9.1 kg (20 lb), but not exceeding 22.7 kg (50 lb), shall be
permitted to be stored in residences where kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of
a t least 25.4 mm (1 in.) nominal thickness

Basically there isn't a listing for more then 50 lbs in a residence.

doctorggg
11-30-2012, 06:27 PM
As far as storage of powder goes how temperature sensitive is it. In VA we can go from 105 to about zero degrees. If the powder is stored in an airtight container, does the freezing and thawing deteriorate powder?

softpoint
11-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Styrofoam can build a static electrical charge. You would need to put a liner in the styrofoam chests to avoid static electrical charges/discharges.

By the time you add insulation to the inside of the steel box and then install a liner, you would be running out of room.

Primers are sensitive to shock and static electricity. Locks on dynamite boxes can be defeated with either a torch or a grinder if someone is determined. The wood lining in that trailer was for the prevention of static electric charges. And I would hazard a guess that the steel trailer walls were less than 3/16" thick.
Actually, those trailer walls were 3/16", I helped build some of them. They were small,short trailers. Similar to U-Haul on the out side. We did use some dynamite, but mostly water gel and ANFO. In order for those two explosives to be reliable enough for our use, they had to be detonated with fairly powerful caps, made especially for seismic purposes. The caps were what were more hazardous as far as accidents. And when you had 1000 or more stored in one place along with 3000 or so Lbs of Gel, you tended to be quite careful.:coffee:

softpoint
11-30-2012, 06:44 PM
It is going to be outside, away from any residence, hence the question on preserving it from moisture, condensation, etc.

softpoint
11-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Actually, I like the idea of using plastic tupperware or Rubbermaid style containers inside the lock box. Will look into that.

Sakdog
11-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Be sure not to store the powder straight in the tupperware.. depending on the powder and the plastic it can eat plastic up pretty good. might even adversely affect the powder. Natchez has MTM poly cans that are about the size of a 50 cal can with gaskets for like 8.99.. might be a good solution too. lotsa ways to make it happen.

375RUGER
11-30-2012, 09:23 PM
old fridge

softpoint
11-30-2012, 10:40 PM
old fridge

Old fridge has some good qualities, but I prefer a little more security. Powder will be stored in factory packaging, as will primers, this is not bulk stuff. Just want to get some away from the house, my reloading supplies are taking over the house.

Junior1942
12-01-2012, 09:05 AM
old fridgeYes, but a WORKING old fridge. And a frost-free working old fridge. You can store in the freezer top and the fridge bottom. Your stuff will stay at a constant low temp and low humidity. Only problem is when taking stuff out as moisture will immediately collect on the can/package. So keep an old towel handy and wrap the stuff when you take it out, and don't unwrap it for at least two hours. In other words, let the stuff SLOWLY come to room temperature.

Edubya
12-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Old fridge has some good qualities, but I prefer a little more security. Powder will be stored in factory packaging, as will primers, this is not bulk stuff. Just want to get some away from the house, my reloading supplies are taking over the house.

This is good information. I've seen it discussed on many blogs and thought they were full of myths and $h1t. Some said that you had to have special permission from the fire chief to store more than ten lbs of powder or a certain amount of ammo. I thought then that it was BS but now I know!
But dam! I teared up seeing all of that ammo destroyed, over 400,000 rounds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c&list=UUiWxn1eVlnOQ8sZQqLL-ijQ

garandsrus
12-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Great video!

Shiloh
12-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Cool, dry, consistent. Avoid the ammo cans. Wooden or even metal containers but they need to be vented.
Keep it off the concrete floor buy putting it on pallets or on raised wooden platform.

Shiloh

NYBushBro
12-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Yes, but a WORKING old fridge. And a frost-free working old fridge. You can store in the freezer top and the fridge bottom. Your stuff will stay at a constant low temp and low humidity. Only problem is when taking stuff out as moisture will immediately collect on the can/package. So keep an old towel handy and wrap the stuff when you take it out, and don't unwrap it for at least two hours. In other words, let the stuff SLOWLY come to room temperature.

Sounds like you've done this before... :-)

762 shooter
12-20-2012, 07:24 AM
I guess if it is not stored in a residence there are no limitations?

AricTheRed
12-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Your best way to avoid damage from humidity is to seal the stored components in airtight vacuum sealed bags. The bags will protect the components and since there will be virtually no atmosphere inside them there will be no moisture to condense on the stored components. If vacuum sealing is not something you can do the next best bet is guaranteeing plenty of airflow around what ever you are storing, imagine jugs of powder, boxes of cartridges and primers sitting on a shelf.

For vacuum packing small items, imagine 50rd boxes of pistol ammo, 25rd boxes of shotshels, or 20rd boxes of rifle ammo I use a "FoodSaver" in fact since I've gotten the foodsaver, I don't think I've saved any food with it, just ammo!

gwozdz
12-27-2012, 10:30 AM
I've used ammo cans for primers and have had very good resuts. They were in a cellar (damp at times) and after 20 years still function great.