PDA

View Full Version : Sprue plate for older lyman molds

floydboy
11-30-2012, 10:04 AM
I Have 10 molds and all of them are older single cavity molds. I suppose they are smaller than the new versions from Lyman. One of them didn't have a sprue plate when I got it and had been swapping sprue plates from other molds when I use it. Finally got tired of that and broke down and ordered some parts from lyman. Only saw one sprue plate repair kit offerd on the order form. When it came yesterday it is for a large single cavity mold. My question is does Lyman still make repair kits for these old molds and if not who does?

Thanks....Floyd

Le Loup Solitaire
11-30-2012, 01:10 PM
An alternative that you might consider is to make your own sprue plates out 1/4" aluminum plate...its cheap, readily available and easy to work with. Of course you can use steel, but its harder to work with...although longer lasting. Basically all you need is hack saw, file, drill and countersink. Its not complicated. The aluminum especially is inexpensive and after you mess up one or two tries (just throw away the mistakes) you'll get it right and after that you'll be turning out good ones. There is an article in the NRA handloading book by Col Harrison, titled "aluminum sprue plate rated high"...worth a read. Give it a shot. LLS

floydboy
11-30-2012, 02:23 PM
So Lyman does not make a replacement???

EKO
11-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Lyman does not. KAL tool and die in Canada makes excellent replacement sprue plates for the small block Ideal/Lyman molds. http://kal.castpics.net/

So Lyman does not make a replacement???

floydboy
12-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Thanks guys. I may try to make one and if it doesn't work out I'll get one from Kal,,,,Floyd

Horace
12-01-2012, 12:38 AM
Lyman offers sprue plate kits at their site.

Horace

Horace
12-01-2012, 12:45 AM
Sprue plate kits are listed in Bullet casting=Mould Blocks.

Horace

rush1886
12-01-2012, 10:37 AM
The sprue plate kits Lyman is offering currently are well worth the money! Say $9 at Larry's place, they include not only the sprue plate, but all replacement srews and a wave washer for the sprue plate, as opposed to the former Lyman lock washer. The sprue plate itself is a full 1/16" thicker than the original.
I've retro'd 3 of my older 2cavs, now, with a current order in to Midway for 2 more. Well worth the money, combined with other merchandise, to spread out the shipping costs. Can't say what the Lyman sight charges for shipping.

rush

floydboy
12-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Problem solved....I welded up the hole for the screw and surface ground the plate smooth. Using another plate that fits my molds for a template I drilled a hole for the screw and ground the edges to fit my smaller mold. Works great and seems to be much better than the old thin plates. I agree the lyman kits are a good value.

Thanks for the help.....Floyd