PDA

View Full Version : Tracking down a Swiss soldier from tag in rifle butt.

Four Fingers of Death
06-20-2007, 10:16 PM
I found a small cardboard tag with the following written on it:

Kaser Fritz
Ober-Stockholz

The a in Kaser had a double accent on it.

I have searched without any success. Any ideas? I don't think it would be too old as the writing is in red ball point ink.

I would like to write the old guy (probably younger that me. :)

Mick.

JeffinNZ
06-20-2007, 11:24 PM
Mick - I'd start by looking on the White Pages or equivalent for Switzerland HOWEVER things to consider are:

1) this is border line invasion of privacy contacting folk about such (in my opinion).
2) he may not be alive anymore - now there's a can of worms to open with family as I am sure you can well imagine.

Personally I would let sleeping dogs lie and enjoy the rifle quietly in AU.

Just my 2 cents worth.

John F.
06-20-2007, 11:30 PM
The Swiss Rifles forum members have sent letters to several former owners of the K-31 rifles, and it appears the Swiss gentlemen are surprised and genuinely glad to hear their rifles are in safe hands and being appreciated. Some have sent accounts of the rifles in training, photos, etc. One of the US letters was printed with both a German translation and the English text in the former owner's town newspaper, in a very pro-gun article. While privacy might be a concern, it appears many, if not most, of the Swiss veterans are happy to hear their rifles are being enjoyed and well looked after. BTW, the double accent mark you mention is an "umlaut," and signifies the omission of an "e" which could be written there, modifying the way the vowel is pronounced. Thus, the gentleman's name could be written as: Kaeser. You might look for info on the Swissrifles forum. Many of the tags have the veteran's unit, etc. as well.

hope this helps,

John

FallRun
06-21-2007, 07:26 AM
Here ya go Mick
http://p083.ezboard.com/The-SwissRiflesCom-Message-Board/btheswissriflesdotcommessageboard