PDA

View Full Version : Bore Machining Marks ?

hylander
11-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Recieved a new Wilson barrel from Brownells for my Mauser.
I can see machining marks in the bore, mostly on the lands, you can see it on the bottom land.
Wondering if it is going to copper foul easy or Lead up easy, want to shoot cast accurately
Normal or send it back ?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b193/hylander7/Firearms/Milsurps/Mausers/IMG_2903.jpg

nicholst55
11-30-2012, 02:13 AM
Looks pretty normal for a low-end barrel to me.

L1A1Rocker
11-30-2012, 02:44 AM
I think I would expect better quality from a Wilson barrel than that.

gandydancer
11-30-2012, 03:05 AM
Really. call and talk to Wilson at least. like the man said I would expect better quality.

hylander
11-30-2012, 03:12 AM
Really. call and talk to Wilson at least. like the man said I would expect better quality.

Wilson does not sell to the general public and they discontined this barrel all together, so I would have to either send back to Brownells for a replacement or refund.
Im gathering Ya'll think I should get another barrel, yes ?

B R Shooter
11-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Well, you have a couple options. For the record, the famous DOUGLAS barrels do not lap their barrels, you get exactly what you have there. Many of Douglas barrels are in use, probably more than Wilson.

You could lap it yourself, but I wouldn't do that if you have already chambered it. Or, just go through a "break in" period of firing a round, then clean the barrel using a strong copper cleaner like Sweets, clean until you don't get anymore blue on the patch, then fire again. Between 5 and 10 shots should get things ironed out where fouling should be managable. If you do the break in, don't shoot a dry barrel. After cleaning, run a patch down with some oil on it (not soaked with oil, just several drops enough to put a film in the bore).

hylander
11-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Well I couldn't deal with the machining marks, sent it back.
Think I will order a Lothar Walther

B R Shooter
12-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Good luck with that....

hylander
12-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Good luck with that....

I'm detecting sarcasm
Is Lothar Walther not a good choice ?
I keep reading they are top quality

B R Shooter
12-01-2012, 05:19 PM
It would not be my first choice. And the reason I say that, is I do my own chambering, and the steel they use is not exactly "user friendly". However, once you break it in, it would probably serve well for a normal rifle. They have never proved themselves in the benchrest community, but most people aren't looking for that.

hylander
12-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks
I have read that their SS is harder but their chrome-moly is normal