PDA

View Full Version : Recipe Book

Gliden07
11-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Has anything come of the recipe book that was being talked about last month?? Just wondering if it was gonna happen. God knows I need recipes!!

Bad Water Bill
11-30-2012, 08:30 AM
It is still cooking.[smilie=s:

With at least 2 old old cooking books and many recipes posted here I think some more folks with puter skills need to jump in and help Trey.

Just thinking outloud.

gwpercle
12-17-2012, 12:35 PM
I am lacking in puter skills on all levels but I got a few good recipes I could contribute. Just let me know where to send/post them.
gary

Bad Water Bill
12-17-2012, 01:43 PM
I am lacking in puter skills on all levels but I got a few good recipes I could contribute. Just let me know where to send/post them.
gary

You can post them here at the recipe page and they can be copied from there.

Trey has been quite busy lately trying to wear out that Savage 99 of his exterminating vermin(hogs) and providing a fresh supply of grub to the local coyotes and buzzards. Don't know what his recipe will be for them and not sure I want to know.:bigsmyl2:

scottiemom
12-17-2012, 07:48 PM
I would be glad to help - just let me know what you need done

gwpercle
12-28-2012, 06:55 PM
This recipe is from my wife, Debbie , who was born and raised in New Orleans. If you use tomatoes in this dish it could be called Creole , leave the tomatoes out it could be called Cajun. Either way you will call it GOOD!

1 lb. peeled shrimp ( raw tails )
6 blue crabs ( raw or cooked- cleaned and halved ) use more crabs if small
6 tab. flour
1 onion chopped
1 - 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes ( or Rotel tomatoes )
8 tab. ( 1 stick ) butter
2 - cloves garlic - chopped fine
2 - green onions - chopped fine
1/2 - green bell pepper - chopped
1 or 2 pinches thyme
1 - tea. cajun seasoning ( your choice )
1 - tea. salt
cooked white rice- 4 cups
Lightly brown flour in butter ( you are making a roux ). Add chopped onion and bellpepper. When onion is soft and transparent add tomatoes , seasonings, salt and a little water to make a medium thin gravey. Cook on low simmer, covered, at least 30 mins. Add the crabs and water if needed so the gravey doesn't get too thick. Simmer crabs in gravy 45 to 60 mins. Add water if needed, then add shrimp , bring pot back to a simmer and cook shrimp about 15 mins. Turn off fire and let sit 15 mins. It is better the next day. Freezes well. Serve stew over rice with french bread. Eating the crabs is messy but cooking them in the shells adds a wonderful flavor that you will not get by just adding crab meat alone...but that would not be bad if getting whole crabs was a problem..... Enjoy
Gary

Reverend Al
02-19-2013, 08:11 PM
I kinda got off track and posted some "general favorite" recipes on the Sourdough thread I began, but will add some of our personal family favorites here. Here's one to get started. Again, this is another recipe where my 14 year old grandson would eat the entire pot if we didn't stop him ...

Canadian Cowboy Beans

1 pound or so of soaked, boiled, and pre-prepared white pinto beans (or a mix of beans, your choice). Prepare them by soaking the beans covered in water overnight, drain and rinse several times next morning, then cover with fresh water and bring beans to a full boil for about 10 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer for at least three hours until the beans are just tender. Drain off the water and hold the beans aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

½ pound of bacon diced
2 cups of chopped onions
1 teaspoon of chili powder
1 teaspoon of “Creole” seasoning (whatever your favorite brand)
1 ½ teaspoons of salt
½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
4 to 6 cloves of minced garlic (I use 6 of course!)
1 large can of chopped tomatoes c/w the juice
1 (12 ounce) bottle of lager or ale
½ cup of Maple syrup
½ cup of packed brown sugar
½ cup of chicken stock
½ cup of Canadian rye whiskey
2 tablespoons of whole grain mustard
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves

In a large pot, cook the bacon over medium high heat until brown and fat is rendered, about 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. To the fat in the pan, add the onions, chili powder, Creole seasoning, salt and pepper, and cook stirring often until the onion is soft and clear, about 4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute, then add the tomatoes with their juice and cook a further 2 minutes or so. It’s not listed in the recipe, but I also add about 2 to 3 diced bell peppers to the mix as well.

Add the beer, maple syrup, sugar, chicken stock, whiskey, mustard, Worcestershire and the 2 bay leaves. Stir it all very well and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the cooked, previously prepared beans to it all and bring to a boil. Add the bacon pieces that you removed earlier. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Then remove the lid and continue to simmer until all is tender, about 1 ½ to 2 hours more, stirring occasionally adding a bit more water or chicken stock as needed to keep the beans covered. At the end, I thicken the bean mixture by bringing them to a boil again and adding 6 to 8 tablespoons of Masa Harena (corn flour) thoroughly mixed with some cold water.

If you can be patient enough, they’re even better if they are made a day in advance, left overnight to cool and thicken, and then re-heated to be served the next day. Just like stews, they taste WAY better on the 2nd or 3rd day after all the flavours mix, rather than on the day they are first made …

Reverend Al
02-20-2013, 04:11 AM
OK ... here is one for the donut shop fans out there ... Baked Sour Cream Donuts ... Oven baked in a readily available pan made just for the job ... and they are baked, not deep fried so they are about as healthy as it is possible to be for a donut!

Baked Sour Cream Donuts

(Makes one dozen donuts)

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp salt
• Pinch of nutmeg
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for coating the doughnuts
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 2 large egg

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare doughnut pans by greasing them with Pam or some vegetable oil. Place them on a rimmed baking sheet and set them aside for later.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and pinch of nutmeg. Set the dry ingredients aside.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, granulated sugar, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and the eggs. Switch to a spatula and stir in the dry ingredients.

4. Fill a pastry bag (without a tip) with the batter and pipe it evenly among the prepared doughnut pans. The batter should reach about half way up the inside of each doughnut pan.

5. Bake the doughnuts for 12–16 minutes until the top edges begin to turn golden brown.

6. Remove the rimmed baking sheet from the oven and let the doughnuts cool for about 5 minutes before tossing them in the extra granulated sugar (or you can shake some icing sugar over them like I do).

Reverend Al
02-20-2013, 04:20 AM
OK ... these are the other end of the scale. Pumpkin Garlic Knots make a tasty finger food appetizer, especially if you like the taste of garlic like we do ... but everybody has to eat them!

Pumpkin Garlic Knots

(Yields 2 batches)

• 1 cup warm water
• 1 envelope active dry yeast
• 2 tablespoon honey
• 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
• 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup olive oil
• 1-1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
• 3-1/2 cups unbleached bread flour
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• salt & freshly ground pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves

1. For the dough: Pour the warm water into a medium bowl and whisk in the yeast. Let sit until frothy, about 10 minutes. Whisk in the honey, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and the pumpkin puree.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients then pour in your wet ingredients.

3. Using a rubber spatula, pull all the ingredients together. When you can no longer mix, use your hands to start kneading the dough. Knead the dough until it comes together in a smooth and elastic ball, adding flour as necessary to prevent sticking.

4. Lightly oil another large bowl and put your dough ball inside it -- flipping over once to coat both sides lightly with oil. Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap and let rise for about 2 hours; or until nearly doubled in size.

5. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, put in a pizza stone (you may use a pan, too, but it works best with a stone), and divide the dough into two equal pieces. If you're planning to use the other half the next day, just put it in a large zip-lock bag and store in the fridge. You may also freeze the dough for up to three weeks.

6. To create the garlic knots: tear off sections of dough (2 tablespoons at a time) and roll them into a long snake shape. Tie that snake in a knot. Set aside and continue with the rest of the dough.

7. Once you've made all your knots, put them on your stone (or on your pan) and let bake until golden brown on the tops, about 10-15 minutes depending on size of knots.

8. While the knots are baking, in a bowl mix together the 1/3 cup olive oil with minced garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano. When the knots are done, toss in the olive oil mixture to coat.

Reverend Al
02-20-2013, 04:29 AM
Why men should NEVER bake cookies ...
[smilie=1:

Bad Water Bill
02-20-2013, 04:34 AM
No comment or I might be banned from the congregation. :roll:

Reverend Al
02-20-2013, 04:40 AM
OK, back to decadent! This stuff is absolutely killer ...

Tunnel of Fudge Bundt Cake

Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour

Ingredients:
• 1-3/4 cups butter, softened
• 1-3/4 cups granulated sugar
• 6 eggs
• 2 cups powdered sugar
• ---
• 2-1/4 cups flour
• 3/4 cup cocoa powder
• 2 cups chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
• ---
• Glaze:
• 3/4 cup powdered sugar
• 1/4 cup cocoa powder
• 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons milk

Preparation:

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 12 cup Bundt® Pan.

Cream butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add powdered sugar; blend well. Stir in second set of ingredients until well blended. Spoon batter into prepared pan; spread evenly.

Bake for 58-62 minutes. Due to soft tunnel of fudge, doneness can't be tested the normal way. Cool upright in pan on cooling rack 1 hour, invert onto serving plate. Cool completely.

In small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until well blended.

Spoon over top of cake, allowing some to run down sides. Store tightly covered. Makes about 16 servings.

Reverend Al
02-20-2013, 04:47 AM
Russian Black Bread ... thick as a brick, but great with soups and stews ...

Russian Black Bread (either rolls or loaves)

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups water
1/2 oz of active dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar

1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup oil
1 oz unsweetened baking chocolate

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus up to another 1 1/2 cups)
2 cups bran cereal (shredded)
1 tbsp coffee (instant powder or crystals)
3 tsps salt
2 tsps onion powder
1 tsp ground fennel seed
2 to 4 cups medium rye flour (depending on how dense you like your finished loaves, I used 2 cups and preferred the results to the original version)

1 egg white plus 1 tbsp water (to brush over loaves before baking)

Directions:

1. In a small bowl proof the yeast in warm water with the sugar until it foams.

2. In a medium saucepan, heat water, molasses, oil, and baking chocolate until very warm (about 120 - 130 degrees F). The chocolate does not need to be completely melted.

3. In a large bowl, blend all-purpose flour, shredded bran cereal, coffee, salt, onion powder, fennel seed, chocolate mixture and yeast mixture at low speed until moistened. Beat for 3 minutes at medium speed.

4. Stir the rye flour in by hand.

5. On well-floured working surface, knead the dough, adding 1/2 to 1 1/2 cups additional all-purpose flour as needed, until dough is smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Dough will be slightly sticky.

6. Place dough in a greased bowl, and then turn the dough so the greased side is up. Cover and let rise in a warm place until not quite doubled in size (about 45-60 minutes).

7. Generously grease (not oil) two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans or cookie sheets. Punch down dough.

8. For Rolls: divide dough into 24 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place in prepared round cake pans.

9. For Loaves: divide dough in half and shape each half into rounds. Place in prepared pans.

10. Cover and let rise in warm place until not quite doubled in size (30-45 minutes).

11. Pre-heat oven to 375F degrees. If desired, brush rolls or loaves with mixture of 1 egg white and 1 tablespoon water.

12. Bake rolls for 35-40 minutes. Bake loaves for 45-55 minutes, or until crust is dark brown and loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped.

13. Immediately remove from pans and allow the loaves or rolls to cool completely.

Reverend Al
02-20-2013, 02:32 PM
This one is good too ... I make a batch of two or four and freeze some of them for when unexpected guests drop by for coffee ...

Coconut & Pineapple Loaf Cake

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup sugar
• 3 large eggs
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks in juice, drained well

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread coconut on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until lightly toasted, tossing occasionally, 6 to 10 minutes; set aside. Butter and flour a 9-by-5-inch (8-cup) loaf pan; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

2. Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce speed to low, and alternately add flour mixture in three parts and sour cream in two, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until combined (do not over-mix).

3. Using a rubber spatula, fold pineapple and 1 cup coconut into batter. Spoon into prepared pan, and smooth top; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup coconut. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 65 to 70 minutes (cover pan with foil halfway through). Let cake cool in pan 15 minutes. Remove from pan, and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Reverend Al
02-20-2013, 02:45 PM
OK ... time for the "holiest of holy's" ... Southern BBQ Ribs ... (Although we live up North we still love Southern style ribs!)

Kansas City BBQ Pork Rib Rub & BBQ’d Ribs

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 cup paprika
• 1 tablespoon black pepper
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 1 tablespoon garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon cayenne

Preparation: Combine all ingredients together and transfer to an air tight container. Can be stored up to six months.

Rib Preparation: Turn ribs to the bone side and strip off the thin white membrane that is on the back. (An old trick is to take a piece of paper towel in your fingers, start at one edge gripping the membrane with the paper towel, and then strip it off all as one piece. The flat edge of a spoon works well too.) Pat the dry rib rub onto both sides of the ribs until thoroughly coated. Take a large roasting pan with the wire spacer rack installed in the bottom, and add a layer of about ¼” of apple juice or pineapple juice to the bottom of the pan. (Some people like to add some slices of lemon or orange to the juice in the bottom of the roaster.) Place the ribs onto the rack, bone side down, and “steam them” above the apple juice at about 225 degrees for about 3 hours adding a bit more juice periodically if needed so the roaster doesn’t go dry. Finish the ribs up on the BBQ grill with a medium, indirect heat (so that you won’t “burn” the sugar rich BBQ sauce), evenly basting alternating sides of the ribs about every 5 minutes for about 30 minutes in total. (The “layering” of the BBQ sauce adds great flavour to the finished ribs.) Coat the ribs with one last brushing of BBQ sauce just before serving them hot off the grill.

BBQ Rib Sauce:

• 2 cups ketchup
• 1/3 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 cup minced onion
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons water
• 3 cloves garlic crushed
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
• 1 teaspoon dry mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
• fresh ground pepper to taste

Preparation: Blend onion and water into a puree. Heat a medium sauce pan over a medium heat. Add olive oil. When oil is warm, pour in onion puree. Simmer until slightly browned. Add remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Sometimes I prefer to use the "Jack Daniels" version of the BBQ sauce though ...

Jack Daniel’s BBQ Rib Glaze

1 cup Jack Daniels whiskey
½ cup of dark brown sugar
1 cup of Catsup
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup of vinegar
1 teaspoon of liquid smoke
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
3 cloves of minced garlic (more or less to taste … in my case more of course!)
½ teaspoon of dry mustard powder
¼ teaspoon of black pepper
¼ teaspoon of salt

Combine all of the ingredients and mix them well. Store the rib glaze aside in a glass or ceramic container (preferably not plastic). Substitute for the BBQ sauce or Rib Glaze listed in your favorite rib recipe when it's time to put them on the BBQ ...

Reverend Al
02-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Another Southern favorite that we "Northies" enjoy from time to time ... Enchiladas! (... with some fresh, hot cornbread on the side of course ...)

Breakfast Enchiladas Recipe

(you make them the night before)

2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup each chopped sweet green and red pepper
2 cups finely chopped ham (or cooked chicken if you prefer)
8 x 8" flour tortillas
2 cups of shredded Tex Mex or similar cheese blend
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1 tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce

In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over med. heat; cook onion, garlic and green and red peppers for about 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in ham or chicken. Place about 3 tbsp. onto half of each tortilla; sprinkle each with about 3 tbsp. of mixed cheese. Roll up tightly and place, seam side down in a greased 13 x 9" baking dish.

In a bowl, beat the eggs well, and then blend in milk, flour and hot pepper sauce. Pour the egg mixture over the tortillas. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to 12 hours. Remove from fridge 30 minutes before cooking next morning.

Bake in a 350°F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until the egg mixture is set and a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and let stand for 5 minutes. Makes about 8 servings.

MT Gianni
02-20-2013, 09:25 PM
OK now how about a good cheese and onion bread or roll?

Reverend Al
02-21-2013, 03:41 AM
Would you settle for a Sweet Onion Custard Bread Pie? These are really, REALLY good ...

Sweet Onion Custard Bread Pie

Ingredients:

2 tbsp butter, divided
1 large Vidalia sweet onion (or substitute 2 - 3 yellow onions works fine too)
1 1/2 cups of All Purpose Flour
4 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups whole milk (or I sometimes substitute with Buttermilk)
1 large egg lightly beaten
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar (or mixed) cheese

Topping:

1/4 cup of shredded (or mixed) cheese
1 tbsp or more of reserved carmelized onions
1 tbsp of Poppy Seeds
1 tbsp of butter

In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat, sauté onions for 10 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Reserve 2 Tbsp of onions for the topping. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk (or Buttermilk), egg and cheese. Add remaining onions and mix well. Pour batter into a well-greased 9 inch pie plate.

Sprinkle cheese, reserved onions and poppy seeds over the top of the batter, then drizzle with the melted butter. Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly and cut into wedges.

Makes about 8 servings.

Reverend Al
02-21-2013, 03:44 AM
I honestly haven't tried this recipe yet so there is no photo, but it sounds pretty good to me ...

New England Apple Cheddar Bread

2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped cashews, walnuts, or pecans
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1/2 cup (1 medium apple) baking apple, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 cup (2 ounces) sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Butter a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. In a large bowl combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and nuts.
In a separate bowl combine eggs, butter, apples, cheese, and milk. Add to sugar mixture.
Spread batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cover with foil if it gets brown too quickly.

Makes 1 loaf.

Reverend Al
02-21-2013, 03:46 AM
Again, I haven't had a chance to test this one either, but it sounds pretty good too!

Fiesta Cheese Bread

2 cups Bisquick
2/3 cup milk
3 or 4 tomatoes, diced
1 (4 ounce) can green chiles
1 cup sour cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1 onion, chopped
Paprika, chili powder or crushed red pepper flakes

(NOTE: paprika or chili powder will add color, crushed red pepper flakes will add extra heat!)

Mix Bisquick and milk to form a very soft dough. Press into a greased 7 x 11-inch pan (or a 9 x 13-inch pan for a thinner crust), pushing up edges slightly to form a rim. Brush with melted butter. Place tomatoes on crust; salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle half the can of chiles over tomatoes.

Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, cheese and onion. Spread over tomatoes and chiles. Sprinkle with other half of chiles and with your choice of paprika, chili powder, or crushed red pepper flakes. Bake at 425 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes.

Reverend Al
02-21-2013, 03:48 AM
One more ...

Basil Onion Bread

1 large Spanish onion, quartered
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups unbleached flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 large green onions with tops, chopped
1 tablespoon basil leaves
3 eggs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons cider vinegar

Grease and flour a 12 x 4-inch bread pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Chop onion; heat oil in saucepan. Add onion and simmer for 20 minutes.

Combine flour, baking powder, salt and soda in bowl and mix well.

Combine cooked onion, green onion and basil in bowl; blend. Add eggs and sugar and mix for one minute. Add buttermilk and vinegar and blend. Add dry ingredients and blend until flour is incorporated. Scrape bowl down once. Spoon batter into pan and spread evenly. Bake until loaf is brown, about 40 to 45 minutes.

Cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn out on wire rack to cool.

Makes 1 loaf.

Reverend Al
02-21-2013, 03:56 AM
Not a bread recipe this time ... but if you want to try something completely different ...

DEEP-FRIED RATTLESNAKE

1 medium-sized rattlesnake (3-4 lbs.), cut into steaks
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup cracker crumbs
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1 teaspoon salt
dash pepper

Mix dry ingredients. Whisk milk into beaten egg and use to dip snake steaks, then coat them with the mixed dry ingredients. Fry uncovered in 400 degree oil until brown.

(… OK, you can always substitute some chicken if you don’t happen to have a rattlesnake handy!)

Reverend Al
02-21-2013, 04:01 AM
If you like a Caesar Salad with a LOT of garlic flavour in the dressing then this one is a winner! We've used it for years and its always been a real hit with any of our dinner guests ...

"Vampire Killer" Caesar Salad Dressing

- 4 crushed garlic cloves (more or less to taste, but we've used up to 6)

- 1 Tbsp of Dijon Mustard

- 3/4 cup of plain low-fat yogurt

- 2 chopped Anchovies or 1 tsp of Anchovie paste

- 2 tsp red wine vinegar

- juice of 1/2 lemon

- 1/2 tsp of Worcester sauce

- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese

- 1/4 tsp of sugar

Mix well and keep cool in refrigerator until needed. Prepared dressing will keep in refrigerator for about 2 weeks if necessary. Makes about 1 ½ cups of dressing.

Reverend Al
02-21-2013, 04:17 AM
These are an all time favorite of ours too. I got this recipe out of an old, OLD cookbook that said this dish was one of George Washington's favorites. It's very plain and simple, but sometimes those are the very best tasting recipes!

Honey'd Onions

1 large sweet onion per person
salt & pepper to taste
butter
honey

Pre-heat the oven to 375 to 400 degrees.

Trim both ends of each onion and then slice them in half straight through the middle (horizontally). Peel off the rough outer layer of each of the onions and then lay them large side up in a big casserole dish. Season all of the exposed onion halves with salt and pepper to taste, and then smear a large "dollup" of butter onto each onion half (about 1 tablespoon on each onion half). Pour 1 tablespoon of honey over each of the buttered onion halves. Put the casserole dish into the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour until they are soft and swimming in a sweet honey sauce. Serve hot as a side for any meat dish, but they are especially good with roast beef.

Reverend Al
03-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Got called out of retirement for one day by my old store, so I took these along for the rest of the staff to snack on during the day ...

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing

Ingredients:

Dough:
1/4 cup warm water (not hot, about 110 degrees)
1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1/3 cup warm milk
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup pumpkin puree, either fresh or canned
1 tablespoon melted butter
2 cups (approximately) All-Purpose Flour
1 1 /4 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

Filling:
1 stick butter
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon each of allspice and ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves

Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 ounces cream cheese
1 stick (4 ounces) butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
2-3 cups powdered sugar

Directions:

Stir yeast into water to soften in a large bowl. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before stirring to combine. Stir in the milk, eggs, pumpkin, butter, 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cardamom to yeast mixture. Beat vigorously for 2 minutes.

Slowly add the rest of the flour (all purpose), a bit at a time, until the dough is stiff enough to knead. Begin with 1 1/2 cups of flour and increase if necessary. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead, adding flour as necessary, until you have a smooth, elastic dough.

Place the dough into a greased bowl. Turn the dough in the bowl to coat the entire ball of dough with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and rise until doubled, approximately 1 hour.

Combine the white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg and cloves in another bowl, set aside. Transfer the risen dough to a lightly greased work surface, and pat or roll it into a 16" x 12" rectangle. Spread softened butter over dough and then sprinkle with the sugar mixture.
Roll the dough into a log the long way; it'll stretch to about 20" long as you roll. Using a very sharp knife, slice the log into 15 slices. In order to cut down on drag, it helps to rinse the blade in hot water, and wipe it off, between slices. Place slices in a greased 9x13 inch baking pan (or in two 8 or 9 inch round cake or pie pans). Cover with a towel and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.

Bake in a preheated 375°F oven. Bake the rolls till they're brown around the edges and beginning to turn golden brown across the center, about 20-30 minutes.

While rolls bake, prepare the cream cheese frosting. Add the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and lemon juice to a small food processor. Blend until smooth and combined. Add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, blending in between, until well mixed and desired consistency is reached. (I used 2 cups powdered sugar)

Frost warm rolls with the cream cheese frosting and serve immediately.

Reverend Al
03-12-2013, 09:04 PM
If you're looking for a "killer" appetizer for your next BBQ these are first choice! Bacon with a sweet coconut filling ... they are SO good ...!

Candied Bacon Appetizers

(Yeah … seriously!)

makes about 24-30 servings

Ingredients:

• 1 package of your favorite bacon
• 1 bag dried tropical fruit such as mango, pineapple, and/or papaya (maybe 2 cups at most)
• 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
• 1 can coconut milk
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 tsp cayenne, plus more to taste
• 1 tsp chili powder, plus more to taste
• salt to taste
• pepper to taste
• powdered sugar for garnish

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

For the filling, in a blender, blend fruit, 1/2 cup coconut flakes, splash of coconut milk (this just helps bind things together but should not get the mixture too thin), and dashes of chili powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper. The spices are really to your own liking. I am pretty light on the hot spices, I just wanted it to have a little bit of tang. (Same with the coconut) You can add less or more of everything to your personal liking.

To make a dredge for the bacon, mix together brown sugar, sugar, 1 cup coconut flakes, 1 teaspoon chili powder, and 1 teaspoon cayenne in a pan and dredge bacon strips through it. The ratio of things again depends on how you want it to taste in the end. I go heavier on the brown sugar and coconut flakes myself.

I use really long bacon to make these, so I cut them in half when making them so I don't have a huge wrap of bacon. You can usually use a full package of bacon to make these.

Take a spoonful of the candy filling mixture and place it on the widest end of the bacon and roll the bacon. Put on a raised surface on a baking sheet. I use my cooling racks on a baking sheet, that way they're not sitting in their own grease. Also line the cookie sheet with foil. The foil reflects the heat back up under the bacon and cooks the underside.

I cook these for about 30 minutes and then turn up the heat to 425 degrees for 10 more minutes to make sure they get crispy. You should watch them for doneness.

Once you take them out and they've cooled a bit, dust them with some powdered sugar if you like.

Reverend Al
03-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Another good BBQ "side" ...

Grilled Navaho Fry Bread

(Makes about 6 medium sized pieces of fry bread)

• 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out the dough
• 2 tablespoons powdered milk
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea)
• 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening (such as Crisco)
• 2/3 cup hot water, or more as needed
• 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, or 2 to 3 tablespoons butter, melted

1. Place the flour, powdered milk, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk or stir to mix. Add the shortening, cutting it in with two knives; the mixture should be the texture of cornmeal. Add enough hot water to obtain a soft, pliable dough. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead it for 5 minutes. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.

2. Divide the dough into 6 even pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Working on a lightly floured cutting board, roll a ball into a thin disk 5 to 6 inches across. Place the disk on a lightly floured baking sheet, then repeat with the remaining pieces of dough. Keep the rolled-out dough covered with a damp cloth until you are ready to grill it.

3. Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.

4. When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. Brush the top of each disk with oil. Place a few of the rolled-out disks, oiled side down, on the hot grate; to do so, hold the dough by the edge and gently lay it on the grill. Brush the top side of the dough with oil. After 2 or 3 minutes, the bread will start to puff and blister and the bottom will become golden brown. Turn the bread with tongs and grill the other side, 2 to 3 minutes longer. If you serve the grilled breads at once, they'll be soft and puffy. If you let them sit for 5 to 10 minutes, they'll become delectably crisp.

Reverend Al
03-12-2013, 09:11 PM

And this one is really good as a BBQ dessert bread ...

Cinnamon Sugar Pull-Apart Bread

Yield: one 9 x 5" loaf

Ingredients:

For the dough:

2¾ cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
¼ cup granulated sugar
2¼ tsp. instant yeast
½ tsp. salt
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
1/3 cup whole milk
¼ cup water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs

For the filling:

4 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg

Directions:

To make the dough, combine the flour, sugar, yeast and salt in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Combine the butter and milk in a small saucepan and heat just until the butter is melted. Set aside and let cool briefly, until the mixture registers 115-125˚ F on an instant-read thermometer. Add the milk mixture, water, vanilla and eggs to the mixer bowl. Mix on low speed until a cohesive dough forms. Continue to knead until smooth and elastic, adding additional flour as needed 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough clears the sides of the bowl and is tacky but not sticky. Knead about 3-5 minutes. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat, and cover. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. (After the dough has doubled, it can be wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before proceeding.)

While the dough rises, add the butter to a small saucepan and melt until browned. Set aside. Combine the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl and mix well.

Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and gently deflate. Roll into a ball, cover with a clean towel and let rest for 5 minutes. Roll the dough out into an approximately 12 x 20-inch rectangle. Brush the dough with the browned butter. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the dough in an even layer. (Yes, really, use all of it.)

Lightly grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Slice the dough vertically into 6 even strips. Stack the strips on top of each other and again cut into 6 equal slices. Stack all the squares on top of each other and set into the prepared loaf pan. Cover loosely with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place, 30-45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Transfer the loaf to the oven and bake 30-35 minutes, until the top is golden brown. (If the top seems to be browning too quickly, cover loosely with foil at the end of baking.) Remove from the oven and let rest in the pan 20-30 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen and carefully turn the loaf out, transferring to a serving plate. Serve warm.

Reloader06
03-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Reverend Al,

These recipes arew raising this Diabetics blood sugar just reading them! Man do the look and sound GREAT. Is that a bottle of single barrel or holiday next to the Jack Daniels sauce recipe? I LOVE the Holiday Select, in extreme moderation myself.

Keep the wonderful recipes coming.

Matt:violin:

Reverend Al
03-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Yeah ... occasionally the "Black Jack" is on the menu as a "side dish" too!

These are really good if you like Sourdough and you like Sausage Rolls too ... (John Bradstock was my Grandfather)

Bradstock Sourdough Sausage Rolls

Ingredients:

1 pound of ground beef
1 pound of ground pork
1 small onion minced finely and sautéed until translucent
2 to 3 cloves of minced garlic
2 eggs beaten (plus one more beaten egg for an egg wash)
1/4 cup of fine bread crumbs
1/3 cup of whole milk
2 tsps of ground Sage
1 tsp of ground Nutmeg
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp of Soy Sauce
2 tsps of Tabasco Sauce
1 tblsp of Horseradish
Seasoned salt & Pepper to taste

Directions:

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Soak the bread crumbs in the milk and let stand for about 10 minutes. In a large bowl combine the ground beef and pork with the soaked bread crumbs and mix well. Add the sautéed onions, minced garlic, plus the 2 beaten eggs and all of the seasonings and blend thoroughly with the meat mixture. Form the meat mixture into sausage style "tubes" about the length that you will roll your dough and place them onto baking sheets. Bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until lightly browned.

Prepare the "Bradstock Sourdough Biscuit" mix as per the recipe on page two and divide the finished dough into as many pieces as you have lengths of sausage mixture and roll them out to about 1/8" in thickness one at a time. Put a cooked sausage meat tube onto the long side of the rolled dough about 1" from the outer edge. Roll the dough up and over the sausage tube and then seal along the edge with your finger tips or a fork. Fold over and seal both ends. Cut the formed sausage roll with a sharp knife in about 3" lengths. Slash the tops of the sausage rolls diagonally with a sharp knife to allow steam to escape as they bake. Arrange on a baking pan lined with parchment paper or use silicon baking sheets. Brush the tops of the sausage rolls with the beaten egg wash and sprinkle them with sesame seeds. Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until the tops are just lightly browned. When finished baking the dough should still be slightly moist.

The "John Bradstock" Sourdough Biscuit
(to use for the sausage roll dough)

Dry Ingredients

- 4 1/2 cups of sifted flour in total, using 2 1/4 cups of Whole Wheat flour & 2 1/4 cups of Yellow Corn flour. (Important Note: Corn flour, not Cornmeal, as cornmeal is a bit too coarse for this biscuit recipe!)
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt (plus an optional 1 to 1 & 1/2 tsp. of Garlic powder if you like it as much as I do.)

Wet Ingredients

- 1/4 cup of cooking oil (or butter or margarine if you prefer the dough to be a bit more "short".)
- 1 & 1/2 to 2 cups of "Bradstock" sourdough starter
- 225 ml of "No Fat" (or regular) sour cream (1/2 of a 450ml container, save the rest for the next batch or better yet, just double everything and make a bigger batch ….)
- two large eggs
- some melted butter or margarine (to brush on top of the biscuits before cooking.)

Preparation & Cooking

Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl until well mixed. Combine cooking oil (or butter or margarine) with sourdough starter and eggs, (I do it right in the measuring cup). Mix wet ingredients thoroughly, and then add to the dry ingredients. Mix all of the ingredients well, then turn the slightly wet ball of dough out onto a lightly floured board or work counter covered with bench flour and knead it gently for about 2 to 3 minutes. When you're finished, it should have a "satin" look and feel to it. (If it still seems a bit too wet, then gradually add a little more bench flour until it feels right)

Roll the dough out until it's about 3/4" thick. Cut out biscuits with about a 2 1/2" cutter (or with the floured end of an empty bean or soup tin if you're in camp). Place the biscuits into a lightly greased baking pan or cookie sheet. Brush the tops with the melted butter or margarine. Let rise 1 full hour in a warm place. Bake in a medium hot oven (about 325 to 350 degrees) for 15 to 18 minutes, or until nicely browned on top. You might want to experiment slighty with the cooking time, as I find that the biscuits dry out too much if over-cooked. They're much tastier if left slightly moist when finished.

The quantities listed above for a single batch makes about 12 to 16 biscuits depending how thick you roll the dough.

PS: This biscuit is named after my grandfather, John Bradstock, as my original sourdough starter mix came from a batch that he started in his kitchen many, many years ago. I still have a container of active starter in our fridge that I’ve been using to make these biscuits and several other traditional, “old time” sourdough recipes.

SURE- FIRE SOURDOUGH STARTER (from scratch)

If you're lucky enough that someone gives you a cup or so of starter that they've already been using successfully, then just follow the directions from day two on to "feed" and replenish the starter. If not, then you can start your own by following the directions below.

On the first day start by assembling:

- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 small package active dry yeast (or 2 to 21/2 tsp from a bulk package)
- 2 cups of flour

Dissolve the sugar in 1/2 cup of the warm water in a large size container (a large size plastic ice cream container with a couple of holes punched in the lid is what we use). Sprinkle the yeast into the water. Let stand 10 minutes. Stir in the remaining warm water and the flour. Beat until smooth. Cover the sourdough starter tightly with a snap-on lid or plastic wrap (make sure that you poke a vent hole or two in it!) and leave it overnight at room temperature.

On the 2nd day "feed" it the following:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
Stir until smooth, re-cover and place in refrigerator.

On the 3rd day, stir until smooth and put back in fridge.
On the 4th day, stir until smooth and put back in fridge.
On the 5th day, "feed" it again, using the same as on the 2nd day.

From day 6 to day 10 stir well until smooth once each day. It's ready to use anytime now after day 10. Sourdough starter keeps indefinitely, as long as you remember to take it out of the fridge and stir it well once in a while.

When you get down to the last cup of your starter, "feed" it the same as the 2nd day and then repeat the procedure from day 3 to day 10 to replenish it.

If you want to use the sourdough starter sooner, then just leave the sourdough container out at room temperature after you "feed it" and it will "work" much faster and will be ready for use daily. (You just have to remember to stir it at least once or twice daily if you leave it out of the refrigerator as it does "grow" very quickly at room temperature, and make sure that the container is large enough to allow it to grow!). The longer sourdough starter is left before it is used, the "tangier" it becomes and it is much more flavourful in the finished baked goods. If left, it often will have a clear liquid appear on the surface. This is normal, so just stir it very thoroughly and mix well before use. When left out at room temperature rather than in the fridge, it will grow in volume much faster and become much lighter with many air bubbles in the mix. This was called a "sourdough sponge", and is the traditional style of sourdough used by the pioneers for their day to day cooking needs.

JWFilips
03-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Does anyone know if there are any recipes in the to be book for Ground Hog? Because if there isn't I have a real tasty one!

Reverend Al
03-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Well, you likely won't be trying out this recipe Matt, but then again, you could always try making them without the sugar glaze?

Baked Apple Fritters

Ingredients

Dough:

• 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
• 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk, warmed
• 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided, plus up to 1/4 cup more
• 1/4 cup granulated sugar
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 2 tablespoons butter, melted
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 large egg

Filling:

• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1 medium apple, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 1/4 cup apple juice
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Glaze:

• 1 cup powdered sugar
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 4 teaspoons apple juice
• Pinch ground cinnamon

Preparation

1. To make dough: Dissolve yeast in warm milk in a large bowl. Let stand 5 minutes or until foamy. Add 1 1/3 cups flour, sugar, honey, melted butter, salt, and egg to yeast mixture, stirring until smooth. Add additional 1 cup flour; stir until a soft dough forms.

2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (10 minutes), or transfer to an electric mixer with a dough hook and mix 10 minutes on medium speed; add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.

3. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)

4. To make filling: Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add apple; sauté 3 minutes. Add apple juice and cinnamon. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 3 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed. Remove from heat; set aside to cool completely.

5. To assemble: Punch dough down. Cover; let rest 5 minutes. Divide dough into 12 equal portions. Roll each into a 3-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Divide filling among dough rounds; gather dough over filling to form a ball, pinching seam to seal. Place fritter, seam side down, in a 12-cup muffin pan coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining dough and filling. Cover and let rise 40 minutes or until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 400°.

6. Uncover fritters; bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack. Whisk all glaze ingredients together in a small bowl; drizzle over fritters and serve.

Reloader06
03-12-2013, 10:35 PM
I believe I'll do just that. Those are one of my many Achillie's Heals. I knew I shouldn't have checked in here this evening.:kidding: Starting a new show tomorrow and might not be able to check in as much. Thanks for all the salavation folks.

Matt

waksupi
03-13-2013, 02:26 AM
Darn it, I love apple fritters. I wish you had never posted the recipe!

Reverend Al
03-13-2013, 02:58 PM
There are a lot of different recipes for traditional Boston Baked Beans, but we like this one best. I found the perfect Crock Pot / Bean Pot at the 2nd Hand Store for $6.00!

Boston Baked Beans (traditional Bean Pot method)

1 - 2 1/2-quart bean pot (or covered casserole)
2 pounds beans
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 pound salt pork (or bacon or ham)
1 medium onion -- peeled and diced into large pieces
8 tablespoons of brown sugar
2/3 cup molasses
2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Soak beans overnight. In the morning, preheat oven to 325° F. Place the baking soda in a large pot and fill half way with water (about 6 cups). Bring to a boil and add the beans. Boil for 10 minutes. Drain beans in a colander and run cold water through them. Set them aside.

Dice the salt pork (or bacon or ham) into 1-inch squares. Put half of the salt pork on the bottom of the bean pot, along with the onion. Put beans in the pot. Put the remaining salt pork on top of the beans.

Mix the brown sugar, molasses, mustard, salt and pepper with about 3 cups of saved hot water from the beans and pour over top (or add more until the beans are just covered). Cover pot with lid and place the pot into the preheated oven. Bake for about 6 hours. Check pot periodically to check the amount of liquid remaining. Add a bit of water to the beans slowly as needed to keep them moist, but do not flood them. Remove the pot from the oven and serve warm.

Reverend Al
03-13-2013, 03:04 PM
These meatballs are a tradition in my wife's family and they make them for any special occasion. The home made BBQ sauce has a great "tang" to it and these tasty little beauties are really addictive!

Laurie’s Family recipe Meat Balls

(with tangy homemade BBQ Sauce)

The Meatballs

2 lbs. hamburger
diced onions
bread crumbs
2 eggs
Form into small meatballs and fry until browned.

The BBQ Sauce

1 cup water
1 cup of Catsup
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. Worchester Sauce
¼ cup of White Vinegar
½ cup of White Sugar
a pinch of Cayenne Pepper

Bring the sauce to a boil, then add cooked meatballs and simmer for as long as you like. They are generally best if made one to two days in advance and left to soak in the BBQ sauce to soak up all of the flavour.

Note: I usually bake the meatballs on sheet pans in the oven at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes and then add them to the BBQ Sauce. In addition, season the meatballs to your own preference, but I use a mixture of season salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, basil, sage and a dash of Cajun spice.

(These freeze well too)

Reverend Al
03-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Haven't had time to try this recipe yet ... but we will! :D

Baked Chipotle Onion Rings

Ingredients

• 1 medium onion, sliced into 1/4 inch rings
• 2-1/4c buttermilk
• 2T-3T adobo sauce from a can of chipotles (2T for a smoky heat, 3T for more of a spicy kick)
• 3/4c Panko crumbs
• 1/3c bread crumbs
• salt and pepper
• Cooking Spray (like Olive Oil spray or Canola Oil Spray)
• coarse sea salt

Instructions

1. In a large bowl, mix buttermilk and adobo sauce until combined. Soak onion rings in adobo buttermilk in refrigerator for 2 hours.

2. Preheat oven to 450. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

3. Mix together the Panko, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Set half of the breading mixture aside.

4. Using tongs, dip soaked onions into breading mixture, thoroughly coating on both sides. Place onions onto parchment paper. When breading is used up (or too wet to stick to onions), switch to the other half of breading mixture. Repeat until all the onion rings are coated. Spray entire pan of rings generously with cooking spray.

5. Bake in 450 oven until brown and crispy, 12-15 minutes.

6. Season with coarse sea salt. Serve.

Reverend Al
03-13-2013, 03:16 PM
This Spanish rice recipe is perfect as a side for an Enchilada breakfast ... (which is what I've used it for!)

Arroz Rojo

A zesty red rice flavored with red chile sauce. A great side dish for tacos, enchiladas and burritos.
Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
• 1 red chile, fresh, seeded and finely diced
• 1 cup red chile sauce
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
• 1/2 small onion, peeled and finely diced.
• 1 tablespoon oil or lard

Preparation:

Saute garlic, onions and red chile in oil over medium heat for about 1 minute. Add in the rice and stir frequently until rice begins to brown. Add in the chicken stock and red chile sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and bring rice to slow simmer. Cook for 18-20 minutes without removing the lid.

Reverend Al
03-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Lemon Chicken Recipe to Impress Your Guests!

Ingredients:

1 whole roasting chicken
1 large lemon, cut into halves
Sprig of rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste
Butter or olive oil, whichever you prefer

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

Rub butter or oil over the skin of the chicken until it is completely coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and any other seasonings you prefer.

Take a knife and gently separate the skin from the breast meat and slide the two lemon halves under the skin with the peel side up, one on each side. This way the juice from the lemon will be released into the breast meat as the chicken cooks.

Place sprig of rosemary into the chicken.

Cover and bake for 30-45 minutes.

Remove cover and continue to roast until juices run clear, basting every 15-20 minutes.

If you've followed these steps correctly, your chicken should look like the one in the enclosed photo ....

Reverend Al
03-13-2013, 09:23 PM

Spiced Venison Roast

Start with a 5 pound venison roast and assemble 1 tbsp. cinnamon, 1 tbsp. ginger, 1 tbsp. sugar, 2 bay leaves, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tbsp. vinegar, 2 cups tomato juice, 2 onions, chopped, 1/2 tsp. pepper.

Brown the roast all over. Combine remaining ingredients. Cover in a roasting pan and cook 3 hours in a moderate oven, or until done to taste. Serves about 8 hungry folks.

Reverend Al
03-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Pumpkin Black Walnut Biscuits

• 2/3 cup canned pumpkin puree (or homemade)
• 1/2 cup buttermilk, or a bit more if needed
• 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
• 2 Tablespoons sugar
• 1 Tablespoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
• 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
• 1/2 cup (1 stick or 8 Tablespoons) cold butter, cut into cubes
• 1/3 cup finely chopped black walnuts
• White granulated sugar

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 450 F. Lightly grease a shiny baking pan.

Combine pumpkin and buttermilk in a medium bowl. Set aside.

Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Place in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add cold butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Do not let processor run and risk over-mixing.

Remove to a large bowl. Stir in black walnuts and pumpkin mixture by hand. Dough will be stiff and not all flour will be incorporated.

Gently knead dough a few times on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough to a 1/2-inch thickness. Cut biscuits 2 inches in diameter and place on prepared pan. Sprinkle lightly with sugar.

Bake for 10 minutes, watching that they do not get too brown. Serve pumpkin black walnut biscuits hot from the oven with butter.

Reverend Al
03-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Red Chili Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/3 cup lard or shortening
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 cup sourdough starter

Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Then cut in the lard until it looks like fine meal. Throw in the chili powder, cheese and sourdough starter. Mix until flour is moistened. Place mixture on a floured surface, knead lightly and pat to 1/2-inch thick. Cut with a 2 1/2-inch cutter or a bean tin. Put biscuits side by side in a greased pan. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes.

Makes about a dozen biscuits.

Reverend Al
03-13-2013, 09:30 PM
THE CAMP COOK'S BEST BISCUITS

Ingredients

- 4 cups of flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter or Crisco
- 2/3 cup whole sweet milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 6 tsp baking powder

Preparation & Cooking

Add the dry ingredients to the flour, mix well. Cut in the shortening with two knives or a pastry blender. Add the milk and beaten eggs. Mix only until blended. (Do not overwork the dough and you will get light and flakey biscuits!) Press the dough (do not roll) into a cake about 3/4 inch thick. Dust with additional flour as needed. Cut rounds with a clean, empty, floured 14 oz. tin can. Place the rounds closely in a frying pan or baking sheet and bake at about 450 degrees F for 15 minutes or until golden. The amounts given here will make about one dozen "man sized" biscuits. This beautiful bread is good with butter, better with honey, but BEST when drowned in thick, rich sausage gravy.

Reverend Al
03-13-2013, 09:33 PM

The Reverend Al’s Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits

3 cups of all purpose flour
3 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
¾ teaspoon of baking soda
1 tablespoon of Garlic powder (optional)

¾ cup of any suitable type of shortening (such as Crisco, bacon grease, lard, margarine, etc.)

1 cup of grated cheese (Cheddar or your choice of mixed cheeses)

1 cup of buttermilk

Pre-heat oven to about 375 degrees.

Sift the flour to make sure that there are no lumps. Add the baking powder, salt, baking soda, and Garlic powder if you’re using it. Mix the dry ingredients well. (I use a whisk or the pastry blender to stir the dry ingredients together in the bowl until they’re all well blended.) Add the shortening and work it into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender until the entire mix resembles coarse cornmeal. Add the grated cheese and mix well again.

Next, add the buttermilk, working it into the mixture with a large, solid spoon. After everything is thoroughly mixed, roll it out onto a floured board or counter top. Knead the dough as little as possible, adding more flour if it’s too wet, or a bit more buttermilk if it’s too dry, until the dough doesn’t stick to your hands, and has a “satin” look to it.

After it has the right consistency, roll or pat out the dough to about ¾” thick, and cut out the biscuits with a 2” to 3” biscuit cutter, or if in camp use the end of a soup can with the top and bottom cut out. If you lightly flour the end of the biscuit cutter or soup can as you cut them, the biscuits won’t stick to your cutter plus they will rise in layers as they bake, yielding a nice, light and fluffy style of biscuit.

I use a flat cookie sheet for baking biscuits and use baking parchment paper or silicon baking sheets on the bottom of the cookie sheets to prevent the biscuits from burning on their bottoms.

In our oven about 10 to 12 minutes is just about right for light, medium browned biscuits. If they are too dry in the middle, bake for a slightly shorter time, as they should be slightly moist in the centre when finished.

Reverend Al
03-13-2013, 09:37 PM

Chicken Pot Pie Gravy & Topping

Cook a reasonable quantity of chicken, onions, and mixed vegetables of choice (or whatever is leftover in the fridge!), enough to fill the pan you are planning to use about 2/3 full. Place the cooked filling into a large baking or roasting pan and top it with chicken gravy (aka white sauce) and a rich pastry topping as listed below.

White Chicken Gravy (or White Sauce):

5 tbsps chicken fat (add butter if necessary to make 1/2 cup total)
1/2 cup of flour
2 cups of chicken stock
1 cup of light cream
Salt & pepper to taste

Melt the butter in the chicken fat (if using the butter in addition) until it bubbles, then blend in flour and seasonings. Reduce the heat and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly (similar to making a Roux). This "kills" the taste of the raw flour in the gravy.
Remove from the heat and stir in about 2 Tablespoons of cream and blend away from the heat (this prevents lumps). When the paste is smooth add a little more cream and blend again. Keep repeating until all of the cream is blended into the Roux.
Return to a low heat and keep stirring constantly for about 5 minutes.

Rich Pastry Topping:

1 1/4 cups of sifted flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 Tblsps butter
2 Tblsps lard
1 egg, beaten
Milk

Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Cut in butter and lard. Pour egg into a measuring cup and add enough milk to make 1/2 cup. Add to dry ingredients and mix lightly. Roll out dough on a lightly floured board to about 1/2 inch in thickness. Use whole or cut out with 2 inch biscuit cutter if you want "rounds" of dough on top of Pot Pie instead. Makes about a dozen 2 inch biscuits, or a medium sized single piece of topping crust. Arrange over top of the Pot Pie mixture and bake at 450 degrees until chicken and gravy are sizzling hot and the pastry is nicely browned.

Rattlesnake Charlie
03-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Oh, no! This thread may cause me more agony than the Group Buy Discussion thread.

The main problem I have with recipes is that most of mine are secret. I can never remember just how much of what I put in them.

Reverend Al
03-13-2013, 10:00 PM

Quick & Tasty Chicken Curry

In a large wok (or frying pan) stir fry 3 diced chicken breasts in a bit of olive oil until cooked through, then remove from the pan and set aside, covered to keep warm. Then stir fry two large onions, roughly chopped in butter or olive oil. When the onions are translucent, add 2 or 3 sweet red and green peppers, roughly chopped and stir fry for a few minutes more. Put the reserved chicken pieces back into the pan with the onions and peppers, add one tin of coconut milk and season to taste with salt, pepper, curry powder (I use about 3 tablespoons) and simmer on medium heat until it cooks down and thickens (about 5 minutes). Add a large handful of raisins and a large handful of sliced almonds, mix well and serve hot over cooked white rice.

Reverend Al
03-14-2013, 01:17 AM
Oh, no! This thread may cause me more agony than the Group Buy Discussion thread.

The main problem I have with recipes is that most of mine are secret. I can never remember just how much of what I put in them.

Recipes are just "rough guides" anyway ... I rarely make any recipe exactly the same way twice!
:wink:

Reverend Al
03-14-2013, 01:26 AM

Orange Coconut Roll Ups

1 package yeast
½ cup sour cream
¼ cup warm water
½ cup melted butter – Divided
1 cup sugar
2 ¾ – 3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup toasted coconut
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons orange rind (From fresh orange or dried)

Toast coconut by baking it at 350º for 7-10 minutes. Keep a close eye on it, it can burn quickly.

Combine yeast and water, set aside. Blend ¼ C. sugar, salt, eggs, sour cream and 6 TBS melted butter. Add yeast mixture. Add flour (I use 2 ¾ C) to form stiff dough. Dough will be sticky. Let rise in greased covered bowl in a warm place for at least 2 hours.

Combine ¾ C. sugar, ¾ C. coconut and orange rind and set aside. Roll out half of the dough on a floured board into a 12” circle. Brush with 1 TBS melted butter. Sprinkle with half of the sugar / coconut mixture. Cut into 12 wedges. Roll, starting with wide end, rolling to point. Place rolls, point side down, in ½ of a greased 9”x13” pan. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise till size doubles, at least 1 hour.

Bake at 350º for 25-30 minutes. (Bake 20 minutes in convection oven.) Cover with glaze and remaining coconut while still warm, but not hot.

For the Glaze

In saucepan combine:
¼ cup butter
½ cup sour cream
2 Tablespoon orange juice (You can use juice from the fresh orange you bought.)
¾ cup sugar

Boil for 3 minutes.

Reverend Al
03-14-2013, 01:31 AM
640086400964010Russian Apple Pie

(It's even low fat since there is no butter!)

Ingredients:

1.1 pounds of apples
1.2 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
3 eggs
Pinch of Baking Soda

Directions:

Blend eggs and sugar until light and frothy. Add the flour and a pinch of baking soda. Blend until the batter is smooth and creamy.

Peel and core the apples and slice thinly.

Grease a baking pie pan and pour in 2/3 of the batter. Arrange the apple slices over top of the batter and then cover with the remaining batter.

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and then bake for about 30 minutes. Allow to cool thoroughly on wire rack before turning the pie out of the pie pan.

Optional:

Add a bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, a variety of nuts, or a sprinkling of brown sugar over top of the apple slices before topping with the rest of the batter and baking.

The Cooks Update:

OK, I tried this one out and when I used the exact recipe above the "batter" was so thick you could have used it for glue! It wouldn't pour at all, so I added 1 cup of Buttermilk and 1 more cup of flour and got a workable "batter" that would pour. It also appeared under done at 30 minutes, so I reduced the heat to 300 degrees at that point and gave it 10 more minutes. Looks good … tasted OK too!

Reverend Al
03-14-2013, 01:39 AM

Dawne's Chocolate Brownies

1 1/2 c. butter (no, in this case you may NOT use margarine!)
3 C. packed brown sugar
3 large eggs
6 heaped tablespoons cocoa (I use Frye's - but any unsweetened dark cocoa will be fine)
1 tbsp vanilla
Scant 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

Optional - chocolate chips, Kahlua or other liqueur, peanuts, toffee bits, whipping cream.

Melt the butter in a saucepan, take off the heat and stir sugar in until well blended. Add the eggs one at a time; mix well after each.

Stir in vanilla and cocoa powder; if you want a 'blondie', omit the cocoa. Add the flour.
Pour into a prepared 8" x 8" pan; place in a pre-heated 350 oven and bake until the centre is *nearly* set - but not quite.

At that point, take the brownies out of the oven, pour a good shot of Kahlua over the top while still *hot*, and immediately place the pan in the fridge. Ideally, leave overnight before cutting.

The trick is to get a gooey brownie that is more fudge than cake; you'll know if you 'got it right' because the finished product will quite literally stick to your teeth.

Optional - before placing in oven, sprinkle 1/2 package of Chipits over the top. For 'blondies' use toffee bits, butterscotch chips or peanuts.

Top with whipped or ice cream

This recipe keeps and freezes very, very well - but there's usually not much left!

Reverend Al
03-14-2013, 01:51 AM

Almond Skillet Coffee Cake

3/4 cup butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Pinch salt
1 tablespoon almond extract
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 teaspoons sugar

Melt butter; cool. Add sugar and beaten eggs, one at a time. Add flour, salt and extract. Mix well. Pour into 9-10-inch foil lined skillet. Leave excess foil lapping. Sprinkle almonds over mixture. Press almonds with a fork into mix. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons sugar over almonds. Bake at 350F 30-40 minutes. Remove cake from skillet and cool completely before removing foil. The iron skillet is the secret to this recipe. Let cool before serving for best taste. Slice into 1/2 inch pieces and serve with coffee. Serves 8-10

Reverend Al
03-14-2013, 10:37 PM
For any one who is Gluten intolerant. We have several friends that are so I've found a few special recipes just for them ...

Italian Gluten Free Chocolate Biscotti

1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. xantham gum
1/4 tsp. salt
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. espresso powder
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
2 1/4 tsp. cocoa powder
1 tbsp. butter

1. Mix ingredients and roll dough into a log.

2. Bake at 370 degrees for 20 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 min.

3. Cut log into half inch slices at a diagonal angle and lay cut side down.

4. Reduce heat to 300 degrees and bake for another 20 min. or until they achieve desired browness and are dry in the center.

Reverend Al
03-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Made a batch of these today ...

Almond Poppyseed Sourdough Muffins

• 2 cups sourdough starter
• 3 Tbs melted butter
• 1/4 cup honey
• 2 teaspoons almond flavoring
• 1/2 cup almond meal (just sliced or slivered almonds ground up fine in a food processor)
• 1/4 cup poppyseeds
• 2 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp salt

All Purpose flour or Whole Wheat flour, your choice. (I used All Purpose today)

Mix the sourdough starter, melted butter, almond flavoring, and honey. Add poppyseeds, almond meal, baking soda, salt, and enough flour to form a stiff batter.

Fill muffin tins 3/4 full and bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees.

Reverend Al
03-15-2013, 04:37 PM
64162 64163

Homemade Pizza Crust Recipe

1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon shortening
1 3/4 cups flour
3 tablespoons olive oil

Activate the yeast in the luke warm water, letting it sit for about 10 minutes or until it starts to foam on top.

Place sugar, salt, shortening and boiling water in a large bowl, stir until sugar and shortening dissolve. Cool to lukewarm. Add yeast mixture.

Add 1/2 cup flour and beat until smooth. Add remaining flour or enough to make dough just barely firm enough to handle.

Knead until smooth on a lightly floured board. Divide in half. Knead each piece into a smooth ball. Flatten each ball on to a lightly greased round or rectangular pizza pan. Press out to spread the dough around the pan, creating a slight rim round the edge. Let rise for about 15 minutes in a warm place.

Preheat your oven to 375 to 400ºF. (Ovens vary on temperatures, so you'll have to experiment with the proper setting a bit.)

Brush the dough lightly with olive oil. Add your favorite toppings.

Bake for 18 to 25 minutes (again, ovens vary). Check it every few minutes after about 15 to 16 minutes to make sure that it doesn't burn! The edges will turn a nice golden brown when it's done.

Best results are if you use an ironware baking stone to bake the pizza, the big round style that is made especially for pizzas … (we have two of them!)

Reverend Al
03-15-2013, 04:41 PM
The ultimate hunting camp cookie!

64164 64165

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie

3 cups whole-wheat flour (or white flour or 50 / 50 white and whole-wheat mixed)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
8 ounces (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces,
(plus more for buttering the pan)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped into 1/4- and
1/2-inch pieces

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, with a rack in the middle. Butter a 10 to 12 inch cast iron skillet, one that is at least 2-inches deep. If you're unsure, measure, because if you use a too shallow a skillet, you'll have a big, messy overflow!

Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl.

In another large bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter and the sugars. Mix just until the butter and sugars are blended, about 2 minutes using the mixer on low speed. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl along the way. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until each is combined. Mix in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the bowl and blend on low speed until the flour is barely combined, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.

Add most of the chocolate to the batter. Mix just until the chocolate is evenly incorporated. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, then scrape the batter out into the skillet, pressing it out into an even layer. Sprinkle any remaining chocolate across the top, and casually press it into the dough a bit, just enough that it isn't riding directly on top of the dough.

Bake the cookies for 35-45 minutes, or until the dough is a deep golden brown along the edge, and the center has set. Remove pan from the oven and let cool a bit before emptying the cookie from the pan and slicing into smaller pieces. Cut into small wedges or small squares.

Makes one VERY large skillet cookie, which you then can cut into as many smaller cookies as you like!

texasnative46
03-15-2013, 06:27 PM
IF you need to feed 2 hungry people or a large crowd, try my SIMPLIFIED recipe for CHICKEN MARENGO CASSEROLE. In my experience, 2 cups per person is about the right amount.=

2 parts chopped, cooked chicken (I use all thighs, skinned, boiled & boned.)
6-8 parts cooked pasta of your choice (I usually use elbow spaghetti.)
1 part chopped onions
2 parts shredded cheese of your choice (i use sharp cheddar)
1 part roughly-chopped raw mushroom caps
1 part chopped red/green sweet bell pepper
1 T per gallon of casserole of garlic powder
ground black pepper and salt to taste
as much mixed cream of mushroom and/or cream of celery soup, as is necessary to make the casserole WET.

Layer all ingredients into a suitable size oven-safe container, starting with the pasta, chicken, onions, green/red pepper, cheese and soup.Keep repeating the layering until you fill the containers or run out of ingredients.
BAKE at 350 degress until hot and bubbling throughout.
(I've made this casserole in sizes from 10 inch pie pans to multiple turkey roasters full, to serve a whole church congregation.)
This cooked casserole freezes well for up to 3-4 months.

WARNING: People will come back for both second & third helpings. - ENJOY.

yours, tn46

Reverend Al
03-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Sour Cream Coffee Cake today!

64251 64252

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt

Topping:

• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions

1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and beat until combined. Pour half the batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle half of topping over batter. Add remaining batter and topping. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes or until done.

Reverend Al
03-21-2013, 02:07 AM
The wife's Metis Potluck was tonight so this afternoon I made her some Bannock to take along.

64782 64783

Here is the recipe ...

Best Métis Bannock

Preheat your oven to 375 or 400 degrees (ovens vary), and while you're waiting assemble the following ingredients.

Dry ingredients

2 1/2 cups of white flour (optional version 1 cup Whole Wheat + 1 ½ cups of All Purpose)
6 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup of any suitable shortening (butter, lard, bacon fat, margarine, etc.)

Wet ingredients

2 large eggs
1 cup of sweet milk

Combine first four dry ingredients and mix very well.

Add whichever shortening you'll be using to the dry mix and use a pastry blender to blend until the mix forms fine well mixed crumbs.

Combine the 2 eggs with the milk and mix well (I do it right in the measuring cup), then add to the flour mixture. Stir with a spatula to form a soft dough, and kneed as little as possible after placing the dough on a hard surface dusted with bench flour. Add a bit more bench flour if needed to form a soft or "satin" looking and feeling dough that is no longer sticky to the touch.

Form the dough into a rough square or rectangular loaf and place on a baking sheet or in a suitable size baking pan. Parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet placed underneath the loaf will help to prevent scorching on the bottom. Using a fork, prick holes onto the entire top of the loaf. Bake on an upper rack, well off the oven element, for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.

wch
03-21-2013, 08:04 AM
I have to warn all of you NOT to read these recipes when you're hungry- they all sound delicious!

Reloader06
03-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Some of us can't read them after we've just eaten!

The Dove
03-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Reverend Al, how much do you weigh????? I would be 1000 pounds eating at your table daily... HAHA

In all seriousness, good looking stuff my friend.

The Dove

Bad Water Bill
03-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Reverend Al, how much do you weigh????? I would be 1000 pounds eating at your table daily... HAHA

The Dove

+3 on that. I drool at those recipes. Just can not afford to put on any more tonnage.

wills
03-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Mincemeat recipe

My wife has this one in her grandmothers handwriting..

Mincemeat recipe

2 Medium Hogs Heads

2 Lbs. Seeded Raisins

2 Lbs. Dried Apples

1 Lb. Dried Peaches

2 Tablespoons Ground Cinnamon

2 Tablespoons Ground Nutmeg

1 Tablespoon Ground Allspice

1 Tablespoon Ground Cloves

8 Cups Syrup

6 Cups Sugar

6 Cups Fruit Juice (Blueberry juice is good, if you cant get fruit juice you can substitute vinegar)

Boil the hogs heads until the meat falls off the bone. When the heads are done remove the meat and put it through a grinder with the raisins apples, and peaches. Add syrup and fruit juice and heat to a simmer, then add the spices. Boil altogether and if it boils dry add water, when about thick enough for pie, seal in jars while hot and it will keep eternally

(to keep dried fruit from sticking to knife, dip knife in cold water)

Reverend Al
03-21-2013, 05:43 PM

The Dove

Well .... let's just say that I haven't seen the south side of "240" in a few years now ... and retirement is hell on trying NOT to eat tasty comfort food (which I've always liked anyway) and I don't get nearly enough exercise these days thanks to a bad back and two very nasty knees ... (38 years of retail standing on hard floors did that!) I lost my last (and favorite) German Shorthaired Pointer "Jake" last April and at least he made me "hobble" around the neighbourhood on a regular basis whether I wanted to or not! Now I don't have the necessity and it makes it hard to get out and take walks when the knees are "getting at me" every day ... ;-(

gwpercle
03-21-2013, 08:09 PM
It's crawfish season . Here's a recipe gleaned from my mothers recipe box dated April 7, 1955. Me and my Daddy would set out before daylight with nets and bait, find a good hole, set out and run the nets untill we filled a croaker sack with live crawfish. Then we head home where we boil and peel them. Our job done , Mom would fix this for supper . And it was worth all the effort! This will make enough to feed 4 hungry cajun's twice...it's better the next day.
Freezes well . Just cut amounts in half if you don't need to feed a crowd.

1 1/2 cups shortening
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup chopped onions
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1 1/2 cup chopped celery
6 large cloves garlic , minced
Red and black pepper to taste
1 cup water
2 cups tomato sauce
5 pounds peeled crawfish ( tails )
juice of 1 lemon
Dash of Worcestershire Salt, to taste
3 hard boiled eggs , sliced

1. Make a roux with shortening and flour, brown to a golden brown ( medium roux ). Add chopped vegetables and cook untill limp. add water and tomato sauce. Simmer on a very low flame in a tightly covered pot for 45 min.
2. Add peeled crawfish, lemon juice, Worcestershire and seasonings. cook 20 mins. longer. Serve over rice and garnish with sliced hardboiled eggs.

From Gary's Mom

Reverend Al
03-21-2013, 08:20 PM
Not too many crawfish up here in our neck of the woods, but I'll try this and substitute shrimp or prawns and see what happens? Even if it doesn't come out perfect, just how bad could it be?
;)

Wayne Smith
03-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Haven't posted much here because our eating is so specific. LOML is allergic to wheat products and milk products and sensitive to tomato products. I am diabetic so I have to limit rapidly absorbed carbs severely.

Reverend Al
03-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Hi Wayne!
We have a couple of friends that are gluten intolerant too, so I bake with this flour substitute quite often with very good results ...

Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend

Whisk together 6 cups of stabilized brown rice flour, 2 cups of potato starch, and 1 cup of tapioca flour or tapioca starch. Store airtight at room temperature.

Note: You can substitute white rice flour for the brown rice flour if you like, but it'll make your baked goods grittier (unless you manage to find a finely ground version).

Reverend Al
03-22-2013, 08:45 PM
You could try these too and maybe substitute a replacement of some sort for the processed sugar?

Gluten Free Banana Nut Muffins

Makes about 2 dozen muffins or 1 loaf of banana bread

(Note: When using the same batter for banana bread, the top does get brown quite easily; however, it is extremely moist inside.)

Ingredients:

½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature or 1/2 cup of oil
2/3 cup of granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 ½ cups of gluten free flour mix
1 ½ teaspoon of baking soda
1 ½ teaspoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of kosher salt
½ cup of sour cream
1 teaspoon of GF vanilla extract
1 cup of mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium size)
½ cup of chopped pecans or walnuts
Cinnamon sugar (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375, for muffins, apply paper liner or spray oil to the muffins tin; for bread, use butter or oil spray to grease a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan; set aside.

2. In an electric mixer, cream butter or oil, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat to blend.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour mix, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

4. Add to the butter mixture and mix until the ingredients combined.

5. Add bananas, sour cream, and vanilla; mix to combine. Stir in nuts.

6a. For Muffins, fill each muffins tin about 2/3 full and sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top of the batter. Bake the muffin until golden brown on top. It should take about 20 - 24 minutes depending on the oven.

6b. For Banana Nut bread, pour the batter and fill the prepared loaf pan. Bake the bread for 1 to 1 hour & 10 minutes until the bread is cooked. Note: The bread does get brown easily, so cover the top with foil after 20 minutes of baking.

7. Let the muffins and bread rest for 10 minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool.

Bake time for muffins: 20 - 24 minutes

Bake time for bread: 1 hour to 1 hour & 10 minutes

Reverend Al
03-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Again, you could try this one and substitute the sugar for something more suitable to your diet?

Gluten Free Chickpea Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

10 oz of semi-sweet chocolate, chopped or instead use 1 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 - 19 oz can of Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
4 eggs
3/4 cup of granulated sugar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 9 inch cake pan and line it with either parchment paper or dust the sides and bottom of the pan with sifted gluten free cocoa powder.

In a double boiler or heatproof bowl set over a pot of barely simmering water, melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally, until smooth.

In the bowl of a food processor, combine chickpeas, eggs and sugar; process until smooth. Add the melted chocolate and blend until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides and make sure chocolate is completely mixed.

Spread the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.

Cool pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before transferring to a serving plate. Dust with icing sugar just before serving. (You could also eliminate the icing sugar topping.)

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Is there any progress on this recipe book ??

gwpercle
06-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Heck yeah, I did a down-load yesterday and got 21 pages of recipes, punched holes and put them in a binder. There are now more and I'm going to print them and in the binder they go.
Gary