PDA

View Full Version : Lee Factory Crimp as collet neck sizer?

I'll Make Mine
11-29-2012, 09:07 PM
I just received a Lee three-die set for my 7.62x54R; that's a full length sizing die (with .308 expander, .311 expander available cheaply but I'm likely to make my own .312-.313 expander and hone out the neck section to avoid overworking my brass), seater, and Factory Crimp Die (plus a 3.1 cc powder scoop and #16 shell holder). Thanks, Subsonic, for prompt shipping and being a pleasure to deal with!

I was looking at the dies, and it occurs to me that the Factory Crimp Die seems to work very similarly to a collet type neck sizing die. VERY similarly; I'd be concerned about it resizing my boolits when it squeezes the neck (not to mention making things looser instead of tighter, as the brass will spring back more than the lead). However -- it looks as if it might well be usable as a neck sizer; what I see as the potential issue is that the sized length is pretty short compared to the 54r case neck. I'd need to turn a mandrel and cobble up a way to mount it, but it looks to me as if the FCD could be converted to a neck short-sizer pretty cheaply (at least by a guy who has a lathe). Anyone know of good reasons this won't work (or won't work well)?

kd185
11-30-2012, 08:56 AM
thats a neat idea
let us know if it works out

i use a trim die as a neck sizing die for my bmg

Doc_Stihl
11-30-2012, 09:17 AM
The factory crimp die only presses the very top of the case in a small area. The collet neck die will contact the entire neck.

Moonie
11-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Keep in mind that the rifle FCD will NOT size down your boolits unless you really crank down on it and only where it crimps. The rifle FCD is a great product that works very well, please do not mistake it for the pistol FCD, they work VERY differently.

I'll Make Mine
11-30-2012, 05:42 PM
I wonder if I can find a way to test the FCD crimp on an expendable steel empty before I get my press set up? Have to buy some lumber and clear a space in the "dead" corner at the end of the hall (which has been storing photographic stuff) to built a press bench.

Hmm. I can probably apply enough force between shell holder and die with a soft hammer, at least to see how the crimp works on a steel empty...

Jim
11-30-2012, 06:00 PM
The FCD is designed to be minutely and infinitely adjustable. There is no way you can replicate the pressure applied under the correct setting by using a mallet. But it's your die, not mine. Knock ya'self out.

MT Chambers
11-30-2012, 06:41 PM
A big time saver, seat the bullet, and then crimp, size the case and size the bullet in 1 easy step.

I'll Make Mine
11-30-2012, 10:39 PM
The FCD is designed to be minutely and infinitely adjustable. There is no way you can replicate the pressure applied under the correct setting by using a mallet. But it's your die, not mine. Knock ya'self out.

Yeah, I kind of thought that was the case, guess I need to find a way to afford a little lumber (need to ask at work if I can pull the next broken pallet I see out of the compacter before it gets crushed).

o6Patient
12-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Yikes

sdcitizen
04-04-2013, 09:25 PM
I knew I had read this somewhere, took a while to find it. Here's how it worked out for me, I am reloading light loads of 308 and also want to avoid overworking the neck and don't want to bother honing out the neck on a die. To get the boolit to seat properly without falling too far in, I simply put the fired brass in the fcd upside down (drop it in from the top) and then run the empty shell holder up to activate the crimp. it sizes a 'doughnut' towards the bottom of the neck near where the shoulder starts.

Essentially the case is now sized and belled, as the mouth is still plenty large to start a boolit, and the doughnut allows it to seat with some tension (entirely adjustable depending on how far the die is screwed in). Seat a boolit normally then back into the fcd from the bottom like normal to finish ironing out the neck and apply a light crimp. Works great for me!